Aluminum intakes...

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A friend of mine uncovered a 340hp corvette intake that has been sitting A LONG TIME! It's in good shape but it has aluminum oxidation all over it. Looks kinda chalky. What would be the best way to clean this thing up? Bead blasting leaves things kinda dull looking. Anyone have any ideas as to what might work? Maybe a gray scotch-brite pad?
Ross

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The finish you get from bead blasting will depend on the media you use. I can't tell you which is best but with the right type you can acheive a nice "sparkly" new alum look.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sometimes after glass beading, they look great but are difficult to keep clean because they seem to absorb everything. Unless they have to maintain the original look, I like to follow up with automotive clear, clear powder coat or clear POR-15. I've tried all of them, and the clear POR is easy and can be brushed on.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Rattle can clear

I used glass beads then sprayed the intake using Eastwood's clear product that is for metal (they have one for paint also, don't get 'em confused). They have a gloss and a satin, as I recall. I went with satin. Unfortunately it does not look factory correct. Looks good, is well sealed, but not perfect/original.

Good luck!
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like the garnet media myself. It last a lot longer and does not clog like the glass. I have used it on a number of aluminum intakes and it leaves a nice finish. I was talking just the other day about glass beading engine part and was told that glass can impregnant the metal and then once warmed up can be released into the engine. I don't know if that is true or not but I thought it was worth mentioning...:dunno Good Luck

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had two aluminum carbs blasted last year. I told the guy I wanted glass bead (because that was what I was told to use) He suggested soda. So he blasted one with glass and the other with soda. While the glass beaded carb looked good, when set side by side the soda blasted carb looked better. The glass beaded carb was more dull and ruff. I have all my aluminum stuff soda blasted now.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I had two aluminum carbs blasted last year. I told the guy I wanted glass bead (because that was what I was told to use) He suggested soda. So he blasted one with glass and the other with soda. While the glass beaded carb looked good, when set side by side the soda blasted carb looked better. The glass beaded carb was more dull and ruff. I have all my aluminum stuff soda blasted now.

Ive heard great things about soda blasting. I have never used it thou. There is a local guy that will come do it at your house.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the tips, Guys! The soda blasting sounds interesting. I think I know of a soda blaster, too. The intake has a couple carb studs still in it as well as the bolt for the distributor hold down. Haven't tried to get those out yet, though.
Ross