Another slow build 62

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Well gentleman it’s been a long time coming, but as I am about to turn 51, the time has finally arrived. I bought this ‘62 off EBay last summer. I have always been in love with old cars, especially 409’s, but never could afford one. The car came from Texas and is really good overall. It needs floor pans, but as you can see the rest of car is in pretty good shape. The 409 bug bit me back in about 1981-82 when a good friend put a dual 4 409 in his ‘78 pick-up. On nice days, my English teacher Mrs. Green would have the windows open. I could hear him fire up and leave the school parking lot and stop at the stop sign right outside my classroom window. The sound that 409 made was mesmerizing! I was hooked right then and there! Fast forward a few years, I began collecting everything 348-409 related that I could get my hands on. A couple of years ago, I got my first big break. A good friend’s brother decided he wanted to get rid of a pile of 409 stuff for FREE!!! He GAVE me all the 09 stuff he had! That’s right…GAVE ME, FREE, NO CHARGE. QB QC 690’s Dual 4 intake with the original 3361-3362 carbs and a truck load of other stuff!! I hope you experts on this site can please bear with me as I may a lot of questions as I begin my quest. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 1-17-2.JPG
    1-17-2.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 1-17-3.JPG
    1-17-3.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 1-17-4.JPG
    1-17-4.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 1-17-5.JPG
    1-17-5.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 1-17-6.JPG
    1-17-6.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 1-17-7.JPG
    1-17-7.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 1-17-8.JPG
    1-17-8.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 1-17-9.JPG
    1-17-9.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 174

wristpin

Well Known Member
That's an awesome looking project! The metal is in great shape! Wish it was mine! I am kind of concerned about one problem that I see though. I realize its probably none of my business but if that were my project I'd probably sell off or trade the homeless guy. In some parts of the country they come in handy to keep the mice out of the wiring but in my experience they tend to have a urine odor and the cat starts acting funny. Just my $0.02. Yours looks like its been "abused".

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
nice ride ........congratulations...... looks like you'll have plenty of work, and plenty of space to complete in...... nice shop

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Yeah Phil the dude in the chair is me, when I get tired it sit down by the fire and nap... It's a Round Oak stove I restored last summer, was kind of brought up with those. Been building the shop for about 10 years, has full bath and shower in the office area, pretty handy to shower out there after a hard days work. Really last thing I need to do is build a phase converter to get my Nardini running. Plan is to put in floor pans, take off frame, media blast inside, under, jams, and firewall, paint bottom, let down on another old frame I have and start priming/painting jams, firewall, dash and whatever else. Strip frame/ blast and re-build probably next winter.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looks like you "got it together" and ready to hit the ground running !!!!
Looks like an easy car to do.
How long have you owned the Nardini? Good equiptment !!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
For us educationally challenged.......what is a Nardin I? Is it the big yellow thingies on the wall?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the the site. Wished i had a shop that big!!!!!!! Look's like you are finally going to have some fun!!!!

wristpin

Well Known Member
I figured it was you, the owner. Actually its kind of nice to see a person who's cars we admire. Reminds us they're just like us. Phil, nice to see you.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I figured it was you, the owner. Actually its kind of nice to see a person who's cars we admire. Reminds us they're just like us. Phil, nice to see you.
Phil?????? Is that me or Mr. Goodwrench???
With your avatar and living in Nebraska.......would like to get to meet you!!!!!

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
How long have you owned the Nardini? Good equiptment !!!

Had it about two years, like I said need to build a phase converter to get it running. I have ran a Nardini in past and I agree excellent machine..... cuts the best threads of any other lathe I've ran. Speaking of phase converters anyone have a 20-30HP 220 volt three phase motor laying around you would part with?