Bayer Z-11

409Kid

Well Known Member
Okay guys you’ve been asking so here’ s the story. You all know I’ve been blowing up this site asking questions and being rather secretive. I was trying to keep a lid on what was happening behind the scenes to protect my interests. I have now purchased most of what remains of a Monaco Blue Impala Z-11

I have long known about this car as I was present when the PO purchased the complete running car in the early 1980’s for $1200. It was actually a couple of miles away from where I lived, buried in a back yard and knee deep in tall grass along with an early Corvette. At that time there was no internet, little to no information about Z-11s in general and no known people to contact. The car was missing several key pieces and the PO wasn’t convinced in his mind that the car was a true Z-11. He made a decision to pull all the Z-11 parts, running gear and scrapped the rest with the remains destined to go on a Biscayne. The top end was eventually installed with the cowl induction but some issue arose and the parts were removed.

From what I have found out about the car thus far is at some point in its early life the QM short block grenaded. How bad, I don’t know but the bottom end had subsequently been replaced with a 425 horse. No idea if any of the short block survives today. Also, at some time in the cars life as another story goes… the car was being worked on in a driveway. The hood was placed in front of the car. The parking brake wasn’t set properly and the car rolled away crushing the hood. The hood was scrapped. Other items missing were/are the fan shroud, hood latch plate and the grill braces.

Another close friend of mine and I had been speculating that this car might have been the Porter Chevrolet Z-11. But my basic research on this site potentially had it being the Porter, Bader or Munson Chevrolet Z-11s based on the registry information available as all were Monaco Blue, from CA and basically unaccounted for.

Nothing is known about the previous previous owner (PPO) at this time.

The PPPO is also a friend of mine and I contacted him last night to pick his brain about what time frame he owned and what he remembered about the car. I believe he owned the car sometime nearing the late ‘60s to early ‘70s. I’ll get a better idea in a couple of days. He had mentioned that when he owned the car he had bought an extra set of heads, a 4bbl intake, and a dual quad cowl air cleaner setup to replace the missing cowl induction from Doug(?) Hughes in AZ probably in the early ‘70s. So at that point only the hood, fan shroud, latch plate and short block were missing. He later sold the spare top end pieces. He then said he has a picture of the car showing the front missing some of the headlights but it does shows the CA license plate. (I have some one looking into whether the PO might still have it ). In addition the PPPO said he found a tin can in the car containing some cards. I knew the car was from SoCal and I started naming the potential dealerships and he thought Bader was the one. He would look for the pic and the tin can as he had saved them all these years.

I talked with him again yesterday. One of the cards is for Bayer Racing in El Monte Ca along with phone #s and addresses along with papers with more names and numbers. I plan to travel and meet with him early this weekend and continue our conversation about his time owning the car. So at this point we are nearly 100% certain that this is what remains of the Bader Chevrolet car.

The person he bought the car from is unknown at the moment. We may find the answer in the tin can. It is known however that the PPPPO had purchased it from a Southern Ca speed shop.

And that’s what we know so far. Sadly, Jack Bayer died several years ago. I’m hoping I can find some family members, old friends, business partners that might have additional information, possibly artifacts, pics, logs, correspondence etc that I can add to my research.

Last edited:

409Kid

Well Known Member
The cylinder heads are bare having been disassembled by the PO and left without being put back together. At this time I am
Missing the head bolts, rocker studs, push rods, exh valves and 2 int valves, springs and retainers. Don’t know if I’ll ever see any of it but would like to get them just to keep everything together. Obviously when it comes to build an engine ARP and modern valve train components will likely be used.

Casting marks and stamps shown below
Also there were several other stampings likely from machine shop work orders in their history.IMG_5197.jpegIMG_5203.jpegIMG_5201.jpegIMG_5199.jpegIMG_5209.jpegIMG_5211.jpegIMG_5207.jpegIMG_5205.jpeg

409Kid

Well Known Member
When I first viewed these parts there was so much dust on everything it was hard to see details. I then viewed the parts again the next day after they had been rinsed off and found this. The intake had a superb repair done to it.

IMG_5188.jpegIMG_5189.jpegIMG_5191.jpegIMG_5190.jpegIMG_5194.jpegIMG_5192.jpegIMG_5193.jpeg

409Kid

Well Known Member
The cam I received cam out of another Z-11 engine unrelated to this car. It was a new cam Installed by a race engine builder for a customer. When the engine had been put back in the car the owner couldn’t get the engine to idle below 2000rpm and had it removed. The car was being street driven back then.

I know nothing about this cam but when looking at the lobe profile I’d think it was a roller cam and not a solid lifter flat tappet unit. I’ll show all the markings and hope someone may recognize it and have some specs.

When looking at the back of the cam’s rear journal along with the AE6 stamp, there appears to be a partial stamp strike indicating “Z-11”. Have no idea what this cam is or who made the grind.

While chatting with a friend via text messaging he wrote, “CWC was a big company that made cam cores for all the car companies and the cam grinders but I don't recognize the other markings. Some racing engine shops have a setup called a 'cam doctor' that scans it and gives you all the specs but I don't know who has one around here.”

IMG_5223.jpegIMG_5231.jpegIMG_5213.jpegIMG_5215.jpegIMG_5217.jpegIMG_5219.jpegIMG_5221.jpegIMG_5225.jpeg

Last edited:

409envy

Well Known Member
Just an FYI... you mentioned the "latch plate" several times in your synopsis as if it was a Z11 specific part? The Latch plate was steel like a regular impala.

Hood, Fenders, bumper filler panel, grill supports, fan shroud, front and rear bumper and bumper brackets were the specific Aluminum parts that were different. Everything else was same as regular impala.

409Kid

Well Known Member
So you going to race this stuff or just use it for show and tell?
It’s really too early in the process at this point to answer that question with any certainty. My intentions are first to do a lot of research. Then be on the hunt for a solid rust free donor car or a restored Monaco Blue Impala and hopefully properly build a recreation of the Jack Bayer car. It depends on what I can find in the missing Z-11 pieces I’ll need, and what I can afford to do as to how correct the restoration will be. All out racing the car won’t likey be in the plans given the cost involved in the restoration process and thr rarity of the parts. Exhibition passes maybe. Car shows most definitely but that is far off In the future. I have another 409 project to get started on this year.