Best piston ring?

58impala

Well Known Member
I'm planning a rebuild of my 348, 250 HP, engine and I'd like to get some recommendations for piston rings, and bearings. I plan to drive the car about 3000 miles per year and never race it. It will be completely stock with cast pistons, stock cam & lifters, etc. I'm note sure what the over-bore will be yet because I don't have the engine torn down. It will be whatever it takes to clean up the bore, and same with the crank journals.

I'm thinking cast rings over moly, mainly because of easier "breakin", but I'm open to suggestions. Which brand is best, Hastings, Sealed Power, Perfect Circle or Grant. As for the mains and rod bearings, seems like Federal Mogel, Clevite, or King, which I have never heard of. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, I imagine any of the ring brands you mentioned would be acceptable, however I like the Sealed Power set with plasma moly . Suffix " K " Example, 409 ring ES 289 for cast and ES289 K for plasma moly. I have never experienced poor ring seating with the K ring and it is a higher quality ring. More expensive for sure. As for bearings, you cant go wrong with Fed-Mogul or Clevite.

58impala

Well Known Member
Ronnie,
I went to the Federal Mogel website and could'nt find these rings. Would the rings you suggest, seat as fast as cast rings? Keep in mind this is a low performance engine, mainly for driving. I will probably be using Penzoil or Valveline 10-30 oil with stock oil pump.
Jim

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
348......... E243X for cast rings E243K for plasma moly. Sealed Power brand owned by Federal Mogul

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I recieved a set of E289K +.060 last week from Summit. Was told by some suppliers that these rings were not available. Hogwash. Call Riley at Summit,, extension #6204. There are some people who will make extra effort. Riley called Fed-Mogul warehouse and they had them. It is interesting that Summit can sell many products that you will not see in their catalogue.