Blue Suede Cruise.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I realize that I could sleep in a 24 footer but I don't see any deals over here on my side of the bay on 22-24 footers. The car trailers that are for sale are much longer because they are used on the race circuit. I think some people are getting out the race circuit since Delmar Raceway is close to being sold as a housing development. Cecil County will be the closest race track to here then.
I had thought about storing a car in an enclosed trailer also. I hope to run across a 65-67 convertible some day to put a stroked 409 in then I will have to buy one:D :D
Robert.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert,your talking a big difference in price on trailers,if your going to use the trailer once a year I' go with the open trailer :dunno .Here's a third option drive the the 61 :D
Jim:
Thanks for the great idea of driving it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but remember this is a 348 w/auto that was freshened up in 93, not an awsum 409. I won't live long enough for it to get there, plus I should have a roll back to follow it. But I have a new wire harness now thanks to Phil:bow so I can replace the tired old one .Maybe the closest member to me, Dick MacKenzie would drive it to Ohio. Although he has seen the car so that probably won't work either.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What is the minimum length for a enclosed trailer for a 62 Impala???

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My 62 fits fine in a 20' trailer, it might even fit in an 18 footer. But many of the shorter trailers have pretty light axles so you've got to check. We got a deal on the used 20 footer but normaly I think a 24 footer's a better way to go because you've got lots of extra room for cupboards and stuff up front.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
in 2003 i bought a 1994 24' wide body pace shadow with interior cabinetry, 12V and 120V lighting, vinyl floor, 4 brakes, torsion axles, and a walk-on roof with ladder for $5000 delivered.
there were plenty to choose from in that range and the guy knew it. he sweetened the deal by including a winch installed and 2000w generator. SOLD.
because i bought it from photo's i neglected to ask how many nuts hold the wheels on or the letter (load) rating of the tires. 5 lugs are the #3500 lb. units and came with "C" tires. i forget the load rating, but it is at only 50 psi max. I purchased a new set of "D" tires with it's load at 65 PSI.
so with a #7700 lb. rating on the light duty trailer minus 3900 lb. impala leaves 3800 lb. for trailer weight and xtra contents. I'm only guessing the trailer empty weight is #3500 so you dont put too much else in it.
the 15" "D" load rated tires will more than exceed #7700 lb. and it feels safe.
but i would buy one 28' with six lug wheels and "D" tires if i ever get another chance.
BTW: with the 63 in towing position, there is about 4 feet to the face of the cabinets. plenty of room for the mini-bike etc. if you really had to, you could sleep in front of the car.

Attachments

• i-2_B_L.jpg
    i-2_B_L.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 46
  • i-3_B_L.jpg
    i-3_B_L.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 52

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob: That weight issue was something I ran into because my 61 is heavier so when I priced a new one(22) from Wells Cargo I priced 5,000 axles with D rating tires. But true to form I didn't order one!!!(yet)
Robert

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
in 2003 i bought a 1994 24' wide body pace shadow with interior cabinetry, 12V and 120V lighting, vinyl floor, 4 brakes, torsion axles, and a walk-on roof with ladder for $5000 delivered.
there were plenty to choose from in that range and the guy knew it. he sweetened the deal by including a winch installed and 2000w generator. SOLD.
because i bought it from photo's i neglected to ask how many nuts hold the wheels on or the letter (load) rating of the tires. 5 lugs are the #3500 lb. units and came with "C" tires. i forget the load rating, but it is at only 50 psi max. I purchased a new set of "D" tires with it's load at 65 PSI.
so with a #7700 lb. rating on the light duty trailer minus 3900 lb. impala leaves 3800 lb. for trailer weight and xtra contents. I'm only guessing the trailer empty weight is #3500 so you dont put too much else in it.
the 15" "D" load rated tires will more than exceed #7700 lb. and it feels safe.
but i would buy one 28' with six lug wheels and "D" tires if i ever get another chance.
BTW: with the 63 in towing position, there is about 4 feet to the face of the cabinets. plenty of room for the mini-bike etc. if you really had to, you could sleep in front of the car.

Let me know if you ever want to sell it !!!:D

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Let me know if you ever want to sell it !!!:D

you might wanna look clo$er to home. :eek:

i towed my work trailer across this country 4 times last summer. kids......can we say die$el? glad i didnt pay for it. 2640 miles each way........6mpg........we stopped every 150 miles :doh

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
you might wanna look clo$er to home. :eek:

i towed my work trailer across this country 4 times last summer. kids......can we say die$el? glad i didnt pay for it. 2640 miles each way........6mpg........we stopped every 150 miles :doh

Yeh,,, I thought about that after I posted that,,,:doh

BUT,,, would make a great vacation !!!!

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Trailers

Robert & others,

If your looking to compare new & used trailers log on to [ racingjunk.com ]

when it comes up click onto browse ads & scroll down to " towing " . you will find new and used ! Take your pick and enjoy yourself!!!!

Lots of other neat things on this site , even 409 parts. :brow

Don't know what your towing with but consider the wind resistance.

Two years ago i moved up on trailer size , added 2000 pounds & 12" higher & lost 2 mpg !! :dunno

I have had an enclosed trailer for the last 27 years [ not the same one ] & my cars always sit in it all winter long , it is a cheap garage.

BTW I will be @ Norwalk :clap

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Denny,it's going to be Great to see you racing your 62 at Norwalk,me and brother had a Good time talking and watching Fred and you racing at Martin Michigan in 06 :) .We are going to miss Fred this year racing,but he would want us to carry on.See you at Norwalk Denny :cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It looks like we're going to have a good sized group at Norwalk. I don't know if the Clay City thing is going to fly but it's not looking good right now. I think a few guys might be waiting to see what happens there before committing to Norwalk.

Last time we were at Norwalk they wouldn't let Tony Salins run with his 409 powered dragster because it was a rear engine design and they thought it violated the pre-1973 rule. I was thinking though, a guy with a new fiberglass Willys on a new frame with a modern crate engine would be welcome. If a fiberglass copy of an old car is okay, then why not a copy of an early rear engine dragster? Don Garlits was running his in 1971 and he wasn't the first, just the most famous and successful. I even found this 1972 patent for a rear engine dragster.... http://www.google.com/patents?vid=U...&dq=1972+Rear+Engine+Dragsters&jtp=1#PPA22,M1
Tony and Bonnie live way down in Oklahoma now so I don't know if they would want to come this far, but if they do, maybe we could think of a way to lobby the track officials to let them run.

It looks like we're going to have lots of cool 348-409 cars there and it's a lot of fun. They have photographers at the starting line that take good pictures of your car. In fact, lots of people just cruise up the track just for the photo of their car on a famous track. I'm glad to hear Denny's coming, wait till you see that car go.:beerbang And I hope Bob, (walkerheaders) gets his new car done in time. I can't wait to see how it looks.
For all those guys thinking about coming I'd say, in my best 60's radio announcers voice...
"BE THERE OR BE SQUARE":cheers

Attachments

• scan409kb.jpg
    scan409kb.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 72

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Jim: Wouldn't it be nice if they brought plenty of them serial numbered for the occasion and presented to each W car owner there for attending !!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
dq...Just thought of something....do you think that would bring denis up from Fla with his 55 to Ohio
Robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You bet!

I'd settle for a personally autographed hand delivered set from Bob Walla himself :).

Cheers!
TomK

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Heads

We should be hearing from Bob later today or tomorrow , i talked to him today !!

Could be vey good news ! :clap

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just got back from the shop in Indy. Took 3 1/2 hrs in an evil ice storm. Had, that old Berretta sideways more times than I want to remember, but I got a finished set sitting in the basement waiting to get cleaned up. Doing some more double checking on dimensions and checking on their weight, bare. We lowered the oil return as far as we could. The decks are real thick so we got the hole a bit lower than stock. The beat way to get the oil out of the head might be an external line.
Denny, I would have called you back but was low on battery and was saving the last call for 911 in case I parked it on the roof.
The other 2 sets are getting seats and guides tomorrow and one of them gets some port work early in the week.
After the first 3 or 400 sets get sold, we can talk about passing them out in googy bags. Keep da faith! Region Rat

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Bob needs help !!!!

We all need to help Bob w/ these heads , he cannot afford a battery charger for

his cell phone, all his money is tied up !!! :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll