Brake line plumbing

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
While I`m into working on the 09 I thought I`d install my roll stop.

I have these two junction blocks on my brake line and know what the proportion valve is but what is this other one and can I remove it?

Attachments

• Resize of brake question.jpg
    Resize of brake question.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 102

No409

Supporting Member 1
wow DQ, that looks like a angry octopus under your hood! Ill try to post a pic of how i got my dual m/c, p/valve, and linelock setup on my 63 by thisweekend. it was pretty simple, i just mounted the linelock on the inner fender

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The blue arrow is a pressure reduction valve, normally found on the front lines in 1969-1970 A Body cars. The lower is just the low pressure warning switch and distribution block. So your prop valve is that upper round fat one.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The blue arrow is a pressure reduction valve, normally found on the front lines in 1969-1970 A Body cars. The lower is just the low pressure warning switch and distribution block. So your prop valve is that upper round fat one.

:dunno :scratch WHAT??? What upper round round fat one???:dunno

So I can remove the pressure reduction valve?

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
correct me if I am wrong but the prop valve is always first inline after the master cylinder.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:dunno :scratch WHAT??? What upper round round fat one???:dunno

So I can remove the pressure reduction valve?

You can remove anything you like, doesn't mean it'll be right.

That system was designed for specific vehicles. It may or may not be the right configuration for your car. I would suspect that by removing the upper one your front brakes will do more work than they are now. May be better may not, try it and find out. The lower block is nothing more than a distribution system and a low pressure idiot light switch. What I love about those is that you may need a light to tell you that you just lost your brakes! I would think the fact that your foot just hit the floorboard might get your attention quicker than the idiot light.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can remove anything you like, doesn't mean it'll be right.

That system was designed for specific vehicles. It may or may not be the right configuration for your car. I would suspect that by removing the upper one your front brakes will do more work than they are now. May be better may not, try it and find out. .

Thats the best answer I can get ???:scratch

If thats the case would it be better to get an aftermarket adjustable proportion valve?:dunno

What are you guys using when you up grade to the dual masters???

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thats the best answer I can get ???:scratch

If thats the case would it be better to get an aftermarket adjustable proportion valve?:dunno

What are you guys using when you up grade to the dual masters???

That's the most truthful answer you'll probably get. The system on your car is obviosly used and removed from a donor vehicle. I'm assuming you don't want to spend much money.
What are you trying to accomplish?
The aftermarket adjustable valves are designed to keep your rear brakes from locking, that's it. Built for race cars.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Does your car have drum/drum or disc/drum brakes? If the former, you do not need any metering or proportioning valves. If the latter, you would want to use a metering valve in the line for the front brakes, and an adjustable proportioning valve in the line for the rears. A combination valve as found on more modern vehicles would combine (fancy that!) the two, but be non-adjustable.

My $.02; if I owned a car with a rat's nest of brake line as shown, I'd want to re-do it correctly "just to be sure" and put my mind at ease. Hell, I'd do it just so it looked cleaner and like it had some thought put into the layout of the lines.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dq, If you don't have disc brakes up front you don't need the proportioning valve. If you do you can purchase one from any brake supply and, I would not use an adjustable one.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dq, If you don't have disc brakes up front you don't need the proportioning valve. If you do you can purchase one from any brake supply and, I would not use an adjustable one.

I have disc front and drum rear,,

threeimpalas said:
My $.02; if I owned a car with a rat's nest of brake line as shown, I'd want to re-do it correctly "just to be sure" and put my mind at ease. Hell, I'd do it just so it looked cleaner and like it had some thought put into the layout of the lines.

Thats the idea,,, i just wondered what I can do away with besides the mass of lines.
I`ll get a nicer looking proportioning valve, do away with the bird nest lines and install my line lock.

Thanks,dq