Cam lobe question

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Looking at the lobes of my comp cam in the block with the timing gears and chain installed, it appears that not all of the lobes are centered in the lifter bores. Maybe they are grinding a BBC core nowadays? It seems as if I shift it to the front a little then some or the lobes are off the other way. Seems to be off about 30 thou. Base of the lifter rides on the whole lobe, but some are not centered. Anybody seen this before? Maybe that's just the way it is. If not I will call Comp in the morning to check it out. Thanks guys!!!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
lifter

A lifter does not ride in the center of the lobe. It rides a little off to one side. This allows the lifter to be rotated in the bore. If the lifter does not rotate, well, bad things happen! This is under the assumption that you are not running a roller cam. :cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Models, MRHP is correct. I have seen the technical expaination for this, but its been to long ago for me remember enough to explain. It has something to do with a hydraulic or solid flat tappet cam centering itself in the block. The lobes are ground to accomplish this, so they will not appear to line up square in the lifter bores. In a related subject, at that time it was also explained at the same time that a cam button is not necessary when using a hydraulic or solid flat tappet cam because of the above reason. I know this statement will be argued by many, because I used buttons in everything for years, but the source of the explaination I saw was good enough for me to change. I am not TRYING to change anyone elses mind. We all do what we think is best. Ofcourse a cam button is absolutely necessary with any roller-cam. But to answer your question, I agree with MRHP, I dont think you have a problem.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
thanks

I did not think there was a real problem, but I never reallly looked at my small blocks. Thanks for the quick input.