Cam to crank center to center?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gary, What are you doing? Your own machine work!
Sounds like you need a blueprint guide ,,dq

gary534

contemplating bored stroked 409

dq409, I dont have the $ to make it happen, not yet anyway, but I was wondering what the max bore, max stroke you could get from a custom cast block, custom crank W series.:brow

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If you go .060 over on a 409 block. Then use a modified 454 crank with a 4" stroke I think you end up with 481ci. If you use the same .060 over pistons with an aftermarket 4.25" crank I think you'd get about 510ci. I think a 4.25" stroke is about as far as you can go because the pan rails aren't all that wide. You usually have to gind on the block a little just to fit the 4" (454 style) crank.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Gary

cam bore to crank center line is 5.045" if my mind hasn't went south. you asked what the deck height is on a W block, my trig. is a little rusty but i think it's 10.200".

gary534

thank you very much, Jim and gearhead409

gearhead409, where do you measure that 10.200 deck ht? At the cylinder center, or at the valley side where its lowest? Note I was thinking about 4.50 custom cast block bore, which would move valley side of the bore farther down the 16* angle.:brow

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Gary

sounds like you may have the means to redesign and cast a new 409 block. if so, there are alot of guys on here that can give you enough ideas to make a 600-700 cu. in. W motor! WOW

gary534

Thank you very much, gearhead409

I dont have the kind of $ it would take, not yet anyway. Custom cast engine block runs about $200K for setup. :brow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
gary534 said:
I dont have the kind of $ it would take, not yet anyway. Custom cast engine block runs about $200K for setup. :brow

It won`t be too far off until there is a all alum 409 block on the market, hint,,hint:brow

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
dq409 said:
It won`t be too far off until there is a all alum 409 block on the market, hint,,hint:brow

Now I know what I need to make my life complete... An all alluminum 409 for my 55 Chevy!!! :deal

gary534

16* deck angle complicates matters

Aluminum block needs iron cylinder sleeves, sleeves would have to have 16* angle at top, sleeve angle would have to be aligned with block angle.:brow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
gary534 said:
Aluminum block needs iron cylinder sleeves, sleeves would have to have 16* angle at top, sleeve angle would have to be aligned with block angle.:brow

From what I hear, not a problem,,dq

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
gearhead409 said:
cam bore to crank center line is 5.045" if my mind hasn't went south...

How does this compare to the cam-to-crank distance of the BBC (what is this distance on the BBC)?

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Gary

sounds about right. GM moved the cam bore up higher when they designed the bbc. one of our members pointed this out to me awhile back.