Candy Apple Kicker

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
After two years of effort the Candy Apple Kicker will soon ride again. The young man in the photos is my only son and namesake. Instead of hanging out with his buddies he hung out with the "old man" all day in the shop. The Candy Apple,Kicker will ride again. Junior is fast asleep. He earned his due and we will work on his 84 Monte Carlo Ss tommorow. Guts may be enough, loyal sons are way better...I am fortunate.

Semper Fi Mac
0307151803.jpg 0307151848a.jpg 0307152223.jpg 0307152224.jpg 0307152223a.jpg 0307152224a.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awesome that you got to do this with your son. He'll never forget that. We have a '86 Monte Carlo awaiting my 13 year old son to start on. It's solid and has a 4.3L v6, and TH350. Should be a fun first car and hopefully will keep his interest on Chevrolets.

It's looking good in there. You and Carmine are both buttoning yours up. Very exciting time!!! Martin's going to be installing his right behind ya'll. How are things looking with the other 409 you found?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Still soaking her, so far looks promising. Truck block, this one will get stroked. Hows that pretty 61 of yours buddy?
Still rusting more and more daily while it awaits it's heart transplant and body work. HOPEFULLY my friend is going to start on the floors and patching the quarters now that the time is changing and spring is coming while I work on the engine. Not having a garage or shop has meant nothing has gotten done in a long time other than parts collecting.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I can fully relate to your joy of getting the final stages done with your son, both my sons have helped me over the past 10 years, both now have tin of their own early Fords though, but hey I have a couple my self too.

the image is of them helping me put the 348 in the 61 some years ago

3480005.JPG

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I can fully relate to your joy of getting the final stages done with your son, both my sons have helped me over the past 10 years, both now have tin of their own early Fords though, but hey I have a couple my self too.

the image is of them helping me put the 348 in the 61 some years ago

View attachment 34114
That 61 is beautiful too! 62 was my first vehicle when I was a teenager, but I believe the 1961 is the prettiest of the bunch.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great looking job guys, glad you've got some good help. You and Carmine have got a jump on me, I'm happy and a little envious of both of you........:pokekeep up the good work and keep those pictures coming it helps keep me motivated, looks like i'll be a couple of weeks behind ya'll.........:clap:clap:clap:cheers

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
This really hits home with me. My son and I did everything together. He helped me do whatever was needed and has also caught the "gearhead disease" from both his grandfather and me. He is now in the Navy and a Nuclear Mechanic on the USS Jacksonville submarine out of Pearl Harbor. I've seen him for one day in the last two years. Of course we spent that one day at a car show!! I miss him so much. Cherrish your times like these together.

Car looks great!!

Last edited:

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Here is what Junior and I were able to accomplish this weekend;

-New Hurst shift linkage, shifter, backup lamp switch and harness installed and adjusted
-Starter, dust shields, and road draft tube back on
-Stahl headers back in
-Dipstick tube tacked welded with new bracket, painted and installed
-Commissioned Juniors 84 Monte Carlo SS, tune up, new water pump, belts and fan clutch (He had a hot date Saturday night)
-Tried installing my rebuilt drive shaft; yoke bottomed out, 1/2" too long, can't remember what I did there; going with inland empire complete new drive shaft; figuring it won't break
-Clean up Shop
Drink a Beer

Still much to do...

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
never underestimate a redneck and a rattle can. Junior and I concocted this very close candy apple red. not painting the whole car in rattle cans; but a primer for things to come. Gotta get this on the road men!View attachment 34548

No shame in that. You can get a great finish with a spray can. I painted my valance panels with spray can. Those pieces were pretty smashed up and they weren't fixed when I painted the rest of the car in the booth. I literally saved those for last....so a couple of weeks ago I pounded out the dents, did some decent body work and primed the pieces in the garage. I then went to the paint store with some of my left over base coat (white) and they made up some spray cans for $5 per can. I then sprayed the base coat (3 medium wet coats) and then covered it with 2K gloss in a can. It was $22 for the gloss but it was a 2 part product. It had a little red button on the bottom that mixed the activator and gave you 48 hours of can time. The nozzle on the can was excellent....the gloss laid down super fine and with very little orange peel. The brand was SprayMax 2K high gloss clear. I was very impressed with the product. Very nice finish. Here is a photo of the car at Sonic....the paint on the valance panels matches the car pretty well. :)
2015-03-15 18.07.18.jpg

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
After two years of effort the Candy Apple Kicker will soon ride again. The young man in the photos is my only son and namesake. Instead of hanging out with his buddies he hung out with the "old man" all day in the shop. The Candy Apple,Kicker will ride again. Junior is fast asleep. He earned his due and we will work on his 84 Monte Carlo Ss tommorow. Guts may be enough, loyal sons are way better...I am fortunate.

Semper Fi Mac
View attachment 34106 View attachment 34107 View attachment 34108 View attachment 34109 View attachment 34110 View attachment 34112

Great photos. Your son is having a great time. Love to see the kids involved. :)