Clutch/Bell housing dust shield

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
I mistakenly installed my 4 speed before I installed the dust shield. I thought I'd be able to put it on after the fact; however, I can't get it to line up. I guess that's why the manual says to put it on first.

Anyway, what are your thoughts about the shield. Is it worth the hassle? By the looks of it, it looks as though it would make installing the starter a problem.

Any thoughts?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It seems to me that I might have done the same thing. :scratch I seem to remember cutting off the part that wouldn't fit and installing it like that. It might have been the part that goes behind the starter that I cut off. :dunno Anyway, I think you could just leave it off but it'd look alot better with it in place.

B

bowtieollie

Not sure of the difficulty you are having.

If you remove the starter - just slide it back - the shield will go right into place,
although the 1/4-20 bolt behind the oil filter can slow you down .

Make sure the shield does not make contact with the crank.... strange noises will result.

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
bowtieollie, thanks for the info. this is a new install and i waited until the bellhousing/transmission was installed before i installed the dust shield. the shield i have has two small tabs on the top middle that appear to hook into something. just can't/couldn't figure out what. i bent the tabs flat and the thing fit on like a glove. it doesn't look like it will hit the crank. (i hope) but then again there's nothing really holding it in the center to prevent it from doing so.

by the way, for anyone who may want to save some money and stay away from buying bolt kits, i used 2x 1/4"-20 3/4" long grade 8 bolts on the outside and 2x 1/4"-20 1/2" long bolts on the two inside holes. i used lock washers on both. the 1/2" bolts allowed me to install and remove the bolts without hitting the oil pan.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Got a new dust cover

I just received the new dust cover from Chevy; still available over the counter, although they had to order it from the warehouse... Anyway it has the two tabs which appear to clip to the oil pan's lip ? I have a Steff's 7 qt. oil pan and there is no raised lip, anyone have a suggestion on how these tabs will work on this pan ? I sure don't want that "Strange Noise" to result that Ollie talked about...:dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Steff's pan

One piece of advice on the Steff's 7 quart oil pan. DON"T run 7 quarts in it. Gave me fits. Checked for broken springs, seals, scoped the cylinders, and then made some phone calls. I'm now running 5 quarts in my Steff's 7 quart pan. No smoke on the launch or in the gears.

Fred

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred, we run the Stefs 7qt. pan on the Chevy II. Have always used 6 qts total. Never had a problem. But I am concerned about the problem you had so could you share the information you gained from the phone calls? Seems like a total of 5 would be "iffy" 4 qts in the pan- 1 in the filter. Would apprciate you in-put.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie, I'm using a spin on AC PF454 filter. they are small. I'd guess maybe a half quart in the filter. The calls were to Steff's, them selves, and also talked to Denny Ford. Had a couple conversations with locals, and they said to try it and keep an eye on the pressure. Pressure stayed good. I know it doesn't smoke anymore in 1st or 2nd gear. Would not smoke on up the gears. And, only the left bank. All I know is it worked.
Denny told me once he had put 1 quart in a pan, and spun the pump hard. Never went dry. I'm sure that was standing still. so no oil was leaving the pick up.
Just remember, Ronnie, It's been a long time since I raced these things much. I might be all wet, but it did work, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Fred

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred, I dont think you are "all wet". The PF454 is a little filter, so that makes sense. Im always trying to pick up new knowledge and was curious. If Denny Ford says its so, then its so. What works- works. So I think its fair to say to new Stefs owners, use 5 to 6 qts and keep an eye on pressure gauge. Thanks for the input.