clutch linkage, '60 Impala

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have about 5 original upper rods like yours(they have different bends in them). They are being zinc plated right now. I will have them back by next week.
As I recall the lengths are the same.

Paul

Dougs60Chevy

Supporting Member 1
Yesterday I compared the z-bars and concluded that you guys were right - the '55-60 double-bend clutch fork would not be closer to the z-bar than the straight style I already have installed. So scratch that, I guess I have an extra fork for the parts collection.
I decided to make a longer lower rod to test with (ghetto, but functional). I made one that was 12 3/4" from end to center of hole, but ended up cutting some of this length back off as it was hitting the exhaust manifold. The new rod is still longer than my original 10 7/16" rod though. The extra adjustment was a step in the right direction. The clutch then disengaged 1-2" from the top, but the pedal was still hanging. So I removed the over-center spring. I think I'm close to a functional clutch now- the pedal returns to almost the top all by itself. I'll figure out somewhere to attach a return spring and hopefully be good to go. When I get brakes, steering, and cooling systems installed I'll be able to test.
ghetto.jpg