Correct Black Color for a 65 Console

Southfield10

What is the correct paint finish for the 65 SS console black color? Gloss, semi, etc.

Also, any reccomendations for a rattle can plastic chrome paint to restore the bezel edges?

Thanks!

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I would recommend SEM brand "Landau Black". It is a very nice semi gloss black. I used it on all the interior plastic on my Dads 68 El Camino. It has little bit of a sheen but not too much. And it's not too flat as to look chalky. They looked like new parts!
Ross

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
'65 consoles

I would recommend SEM brand "Landau Black". It is a very nice semi gloss black. I used it on all the interior plastic on my Dads 68 El Camino. It has little bit of a sheen but not too much. And it's not too flat as to look chalky. They looked like new parts!
Ross

I agree with Ross ! That paint looks really nice. The conical bezels for the clock and the SS emblem are supposed to be a flat silver with chorme plating showing out on the very edge. One trick that I have done to consoles in the past is to simply remove that silver paint and expose the nice chrome underneath. Looks really neat, but if 100% stock is what you're after, you have to paint... Another one of those common mistakes for the purist crowd is that the perimeter chrome is not painted black. Only the very edge (3/16 thick) should show the chrome the flat portion should be semi-gloss black also. I personally like it all chrome, but that is me.

ALSO. Keep in mind that entire top deck of your console is chrome plated from the factory. Either tape off the edges and have it powder coated semi gloss black or if Ross' solution is what you decide to do, be sure to use a good quality EPOXY primer like fresh start first. Many aerosol primers wont adhere properly to chrome and will peel off in time.

Good luck!

Rock :cool:

Southfield10

Thanks Ross and Rock. That's a big help - I would have definitely made the primer mistake. I like stock but this is not going to be perfect so the exposed chrome around the bezels sounds good to me.