Corv-8 !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So,,, If you built a V-8 mid-engine car ,, would your choice be a BAD A** Corvair???
Lots of info on how they are one super balanced BAD A** G-Machine !!!

This is one a friend just picked up !!

He has had a dream of building one and has two solid bodies that were just waiting their turn to hot rod.
He has been collecting parts and engine goodies like an 8-71 to ready the build.
Then he came across one that was priced too good to pass up and should put him years ahead of starting from scratch.
He still has plans to add the big block with a blower !!!

Here are a few picture of the super clean Corv-8 !!,,,dq OH,,,YEH !!!!:eek: :brow

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_0557.JPG
    Resize of IMG_0557.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Resize of IMG_0558.JPG
    Resize of IMG_0558.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Resize of IMG_0559.JPG
    Resize of IMG_0559.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Resize of IMG_0561.JPG
    Resize of IMG_0561.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Resize of Rotation of IMG_0560.JPG
    Resize of Rotation of IMG_0560.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 89

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There use to be a few doing those here in SoCal. One in particuliar was in Upland, Calif. They just faded away it seems. No one seemed to ever care much for Corvairs. I still see a few at car shows from time to time. The Corvair was just never loved..,.me included.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You know Yenko started with Covairs before anything else. Some of the rarest of the rare are the single strip Yenko Covairs. Only a handfull made. There an artical in Rodz this month with a few pics as well.
Not exactly my fav car but when you add a BBC and a blower well then all's good!
Take some pretty big brass !@##$ to drive one thru the traps though!

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
My dad had a red 1965 Corvair with chrome reverse wheels with no caps in the mid/late eighties. I drove that thing alot filled up with my friends. Fun times, fond memories.

The only corvairs that catch my attention that I think are kind of neat are the old rampside pickups.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mid-engine cars seem like a good idea in theory but I never liked the idea of a hot, noisy engine sitting behind me taking up all the back seat and radiating much heat.
I always wanted to do a 65-69 Corvair with a front engine and replace the rear axle centersection with a midyear Corvette diff. The independent rear suspension is already there and all you would have to do is mount the Corvette rear, replace the rusty floor with a floor with a driveshaft tunnel, cut out the front trunk floor and fab some engine and radiator mounts. Sleeper.
:scratch

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In 1966 my next door neighbor bought a Corvair with 4 speed and it had the larger HP engine. It was a good handling car as far as corners etc. I would not want a engine sitting behind me with nothing but the seat back between me and it. There have been a few Pontiac Fiero's with V-8's and I don't know what kind of performance they would give but it should be rapid. Hayden Profitt had a Corvair but I believe it was front engine.:D Roy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
YES !! Hayden !!

Attachments

• Proffitt0ccCorvair.jpg
    Proffitt0ccCorvair.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Proffitt1cccorvair.jpg
    Proffitt1cccorvair.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 57
  • proffitt.jpeg
    proffitt.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 60

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
One of my Navy Prototype Instructors in Idaho had a Crown conversion in a late Corvair. It was a 365 HP 327 and it was stupid fast and cornerde like it was on rails. It didn't stop (wimpy stock drums) and it was loud and hot in the interior, but it sure was FAST!:roll