Could have been a Tragedy !!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The BelAir needed to have the exhaust manifolds changed out and new exhaust installed, so I took her to the shop today !!! The exhaust installation went just fine, but what we found, when she was up on the lift, made me sick to my stomach !!!

I can't even imagine what would have or at least could have happened, if we had not discovered this problem, prior to heading out on a 400 mile trip this weekend. The lower control arm bushing was completely missing the rubber bushing and the inner sleeve was almost completely out of the arm. Thank God, that we did not have a tragic accident and harm someone or ourselves. :bow:cuss

Here are a couple of pictures:

Bill

Attachments

• A arm.jpg
    A arm.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 191
  • A arm 2.jpg
    A arm 2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 164

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WOW......... I wonder what happened there ??????????? Glad you found it when you did !!!!!!!

Dave

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I got the bushing and everything for the suspension from Classic Performance Parts CCP. I used the Poly bushing in everything. This is the second bushing that came out in the 8K miles I've drive the car ??? I believe the failure was probably something I did, rather than the parts but I'm not sure either way. Probably should have rechecked the torque a couple of times, but it's hard to get this old, round body under the car, and I don't have a lift !!!!

The guy at the alignment shop said, everything else looks good, but he's gooing to put some LocTite on everything and re-torque ! Should have her back by tomorrow, so maybe we can still make the show-n-shine this weekend, we were planning.

Thanks
Bill

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Update...

Got her back from the shop this evening and she drives like a new car. He adjusted the steering box and took all the slack out, so she doesn't wonder as much as before. He also inspected everything, tightened up some stuff and locktighted the bolts. He said she is good to go and safe to drive !!!!

We are off to Baker City, OR this weekend for a little show, which is always fun. Looking forward to a nice comfortable 300 mile round trip. Turn on the A/C and cruise down the Hwy at 65 mph and stop at every other gas station !!! :roll:roll

Okay, so I don't stop for gas, and I seldom drive that slow !!! :cool::cool:

Bill

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dan,

Come on over, it's always a good time !!! They are going to have a cruise down town on Saturday night...

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, I actually thought about it but we have other plans...:grumble: Maybe another time.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Have a good cruise Bill! Will either go to the community show in Nampa and or the Support For Childern of fallen soldiers in Boise this weekend

22 Community Family Festival, 10am, 1st Ch/Nazarene, 16th Ave, Nampa, ID 208-466-3549
22 Benefit Children of Fallen Soilders,2pm 3308 Chinden, Boise, ID 208-424-8387