CP Carillo pistons

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I have a set of CP Carillo pistons that came with my 409 that I bought some time back and tried to sell. I called CP Carillo and I am going to send them back and they will reverse engineer them. By doing so, I will know the exact specs on them will be and it will also give them a base for them to make more. From what I understood from my phone conversation is that once they have a number associated with them they can easily alter them for compression ratio, bore sizing and rod length etc...
I will send them in to them next week and should take a few weeks for them to complete it and get the results back to me.
Just might be another option for us to have pistons made by another reputable manufacturer.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
There are some members running CP pistons.
Oh!
The fella I talked with said that he has been there for 8years and he hasn't seen any made. He was familiar with 348-409s because he knew about the flat head and the combustion chamber being in the cylinder. (Could have been looking at the computer getting that info as we spoke) but he also wanted to know what the CCs are of them and with the notch block.
That being said, anyone know what they are for an 068 block?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes they have all the pertinent info. Ric is the man to talk to. By sending them an existing piston they can copy it. Then in the future you can use that number as a base and modify from there. But they already know the deck angle and valve placement for 690/583 heads, factory Z-11 heads, and Walden heads. I had issues with screwed up stuff from Diamond. The CP were fine. The only issue was the balance of the piston and that’s just an issue of having 13.5:1 in a truck block. They are making another set for me right now with changes I specified to remedy the balance situation or at least make it better. The negative is that they have a hefty weight. But the benefits are worth it. This is the new ones.
IMG_0725.jpegIMG_0724.jpegIMG_0723.jpeg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes they have all the pertinent info. Ric is the man to talk to. By sending them an existing piston they can copy it. Then in the future you can use that number as a base and modify from there. But they already know the deck angle and valve placement for 690/583 heads, factory Z-11 heads, and Walden heads. I had issues with screwed up stuff from Diamond. The CP were fine. The only issue was the balance of the piston and that’s just an issue of having 13.5:1 in a truck block. They are making another set for me right now with changes I specified to remedy the balance situation or at least make it better. The negative is that they have a hefty weight. But the benefits are worth it. This is the new ones.
View attachment 141443View attachment 141444View attachment 141445
So is there a offset to the thickness of the piston from one side to the other to balance it ……..?………what were the considerations that you had to change the design…….Thanks in advance, school is in session…… saturate me professor if you have time……..:rub:read:goodpost …..

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had the skirts lengthened .250. The taper above the top ring increased, and removed any weight reduction that was previously done on the non dome side. Also additional milling done on the backside between the top ring and top of dome on the dome side. Finally, There were two triangle shaped areas between the valve pockets. I had the remove the one on the dome side which as a side benefit unshrouds the plug. So now the dome side is still heavier, BUT not near as bad and the extra skirt length will help stabilize the piston better. So theoretically the piston should balance at the pin centerline. This version is .058 off which is much better than before. And while I was at it I changed to a .043 .043 3mm ring pack.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I got a call yesterday from CP. Turns out the pistons I have are a cast piston with their logo-ish in them. So with that said, we discussed custom pistons to be made and suggested using 1/16-1/16-3/16 ring packs and floating pins to free up some horsepower. I was planning on using a reconditioned stock set of rods I have, but since they are press fit, well...
So more questions came from the conversation than going into it.
Rod length now and I'm leaning to the 6.135". Which brand? Eagle, Summit, Show Cars...
Compression ratio? I have a notched 068 block and I think I want to be around 10-11/1 will be a stock-ish rebuild, no radical camshaft. May even be a 425hp regrind or slightly larger.
Bore size. I'm at .038" now without final hone and have some surface oxidation to clean up with the hone and hopefully it will not require a rebore. I will see this weekend.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Paul