Crank Case vent no a 64 283

76camaroz28

The original engine that came with the car has this crank case vent that comes out the back of the manifold then runs down a line and out onto the ground. In 1965 Chevy when to the PCV system and did away with this. Not wanting to take away from keeping things stock, is there anything I can do with this vent to bring the gas back to the manifold?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Remove it and measure the inside diameter of the hole. Try and find a PCV grommet that size, and install a PCV valve with a hose, to the back of the carburetor.:clap

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the last crankcase down draft tube was on the 1962 Chev 283:dunno. I kind of remember 1963 as the 1st year with a pcv valve that was screwed in to the carb base.:? Some one please chime in here if I am mistaken. Thanks:crazy:cheers:crazy

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
k9hotrodder409, you are correct, ALL Chevy engines in 1964 were equipped with either a positive or closed PCV system which used engine vacuum to remove the crankcase fumes by reburing them. The pipe which runs out the back of the manifold down the back of the engine did not come origanally on the car.

Poocho

Old School

Supporting Member 1
k9hotrodder409, you are correct, ALL Chevy engines in 1964 were equipped with either a positive or closed PCV system which used engine vacuum to remove the crankcase fumes by reburing them. The pipe which runs out the back of the manifold down the back of the engine did not come origanally on the car.

Poocho

Yep, it's true!

Back in the day, we didn't like the idea of PVC valves and thought the motors need to breath. It was common to take them off and use an old draft tube and add on valve cover breathers.

Mick

mac1

Well Known Member
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the last crankcase down draft tube was on the 1962 Chev 283:dunno. I kind of remember 1963 as the 1st year with a pcv valve that was screwed in to the carb base.:? Some one please chime in here if I am mistaken. Thanks:crazy:cheers:crazy

In 1962, California built cars or cars destined for California, (not sure which), had the PCV valve. Mac

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In 1962, California built cars or cars destined for California, (not sure which), had the PCV valve. Mac

Actually that was available long before 62 as the closed or "positive crankcase ventilation "
option.

58impala

Well Known Member
There are many variables to consider when converting a draft tube engine to PCV. I started a thread over on the Chevy Talk Forum reguarding the issues I'm having with my PCV conversion and rather than type it all here, if you're considering the conversion then you should read. Many have suggested this is a good swap and it may work well on some draft tube applications. I will say this, If I knew then what I know now I would not do it.