Cruise Control

wldavis

I have been visiting this site for some time now and I have learned a lot of things from you guys. I have a 64 impala that has cruise control. I am in the process of building a 409 and I was wondering if I can still use the cruise or not. Thanks.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm no expert but I can't see any reason you couldn't used the cruise. Just make all the connection in the right spots.
Just my thoughts.

By the way, if it does work, remove it and send it to your old buddy, Jester.
Have a great day. :roll

wldavis

I wasn't sure. Everything that I have seen in the books shows that the cruise will fit small blocks, but I haven't seen anything showing that it will fit big blocks. I had purchased the cruise (NOS) about 15 years ago and installed it when I had a 327. The box indicated it was for small blocks and the accessory manual shows it for small blocks. Is there anyone using a factory cruise control with a 409?

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would think that if it worked on the small block it would work on a 409. The only connection should be to the carb. linkage. All else should be bolted to the car. And remember your old freind Jester if you can't get it working :roll :roll :roll

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm pretty sure I saw a 64 SS with a 340 hp 409 running cruise control. If memeory serves me,the 64 set up (possibly 63 also) has the control unit bolted to the core suppport. I don't see any problems if that is so. The cruise attatches to the throttle linkage, and the small block and 409 use the same throttle arm; only the rod to the carb is different. I would guess that things should be OK. Sorry, Jester!!! ;)
Ross

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Impalaguru said:
I'm pretty sure I saw a 64 SS with a 340 hp 409 running cruise control. If memeory serves me,the 64 set up (possibly 63 also) has the control unit bolted to the core suppport. I don't see any problems if that is so. The cruise attatches to the throttle linkage, and the small block and 409 use the same throttle arm; only the rod to the carb is different. I would guess that things should be OK. Sorry, Jester!!! ;)
Ross

Oh well, That's the story of my life. A day late and a dollar short. Have a great day.