Disc Brakes with original rims

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm seriously considering migrating to disc brakes for my '58.
However (could be ignorance on my part) the major turn off I have would be having to loose my original rims.

Anyone know of any good kits (front & rear) where my rims can be salvaged?

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I have the same issue with my 66 chevelle. I want to use the original 14" wheels.
I know that there are some heavy duty drum brakes that you can upgrade to, and it would be better to have the dual master cylinder.
:dunno

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Didn't Chevrolet make a 14" disc brake steel wheel for the Camaro?

I have a set of real 67 rally's off a disc brake chevelle.

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Disc brakes

I have a complete disc brake set-up from a 67-68 Chevelle. 4-piston calipers, Spindles, J-arms ,back plates ,hose brkt, little short curved steel lines . No rotors as they were the old 2piece type...Which I am looking for......trade ,, Mike Oh, also fits early GTO pontiac. Also 66-67 big Chev :)

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rotors

They now have a 1-piece rotor for this setup, because the 2piece was outlawed. This is a rotor that fits with the 4 piston caliper. I am looking for good 2piece ones. deal any one,,, Mike :)

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Didn't Chevrolet make a 14" disc brake steel wheel for the Camaro?

I have a set of real 67 rally's off a disc brake chevelle.

The original 14" wheels on a disc brake car were designed to clear the original brakes.
I don't know if those same 14" wheels would work with a brake conversion kit or not.
regular 14" wheels off of a drum brake car probably won't clear the calipers.
:dunno

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
camaro wheels fit

14x6 1969 Camaro stock wheels for disc brakes fit. I posted some pictures a while back.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I know of no disc kit that will clear the stock 58-64 14" drum wheel. The after market 14" wheel ( Ecker's or Stockton Wheel) will clear as will the pre-70 Chevy disc 14" wheel.

Stick62

Well Known Member
I'm seriously considering migrating to disc brakes for my '58.
However (could be ignorance on my part) the major turn off I have would be having to loose my original rims.

Anyone know of any good kits (front & rear) where my rims can be salvaged?

"The Right Stuff detailing" should have the whole set-up you need. Telephone number is 1-800-405-2000.... They are in Ohio. Also have all the stainless lines etc. to do the job right.
They have a "Big Brake" option that will only work with 15 inch or larger wheels..... Tell them what you want. The regular conversion will work with your set-up......... Let me know how you make out......Where in CT are you from?

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Give The Right Stuff Detailing a call at 800-405-2000 They have front disc brakes conversions available for stock 14" drum brake wheels.

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Stick , Brian

Way cool! Thanks so much. I was beginning to loose heart.

I'll give them a shout.

Stickman - BTW I'm from central Ct (Portland)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
A wheel that is fairly easy to find and will probably work is the 14x6 steel wheel off the S-10 pickups of the eighties.