Does Rotella T4 still have zinc??

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My jeep with the 4.0 6 cyl still has a flat tappet cam. Low spring pressure and a mild cam. Stock stuff. It has 170,000 miles and the last 100,000 miles it has gotten Walmart super tech oil most of the time. Runs great! The race car I've switched to Driven GP1.

How about the steering problems Dan??? What did you find?

20231222_150635.jpg

Last edited:

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
My future engines can wait until I have roller cam money. And then I'll have peace of mind too. I think it's a combo of zinc removal and cheaper manufacturing of materials, off shore etc, that hit the cam lifter thing at once. But once broken in I think a good quality oil is enough. My last 327 flat tappet engine's parts were in great shape and I didn't use any special oil in that one. Actually I ended up using 5w-30 in it. What ever brand I had on the shelf.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
L
How about the steering problems Dan??? What did you find?

View attachment 135918
I replaced everything that moved in the front end and then some. Nothing. I finally caved in and took Polio’s advice and added a second HD steering stabilizer. That “fixed” it. Now a little over a year later and one of the two new stabilizers is leaking. Now it’s starting to shimmy again. Stupid thing.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
L

I replaced everything that moved in the front end and then some. Nothing. I finally caved in and took Polio’s advice and added a second HD steering stabilizer. That “fixed” it. Now a little over a year later and one of the two new stabilizers is leaking. Now it’s starting to shimmy again. Stupid thing.
And the free advice was worth double what you paid for it!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Bob,The Jeep and Chevelle likely dson't need anything more than a decent 10w30 having so many miles with good oil and their soft valve springs in them.The pick up with the crate motor I would use Lucas Hot Rod 10w30 for a few more changes.
From what I've seen,once broken in with good oil,there really isn't any need for ''trick''oils in a stok/mild engine.
:yup ....:good...been using GM EOS for 50+ years and have a lifetime supply (bought several boxes when there was
rumors GM was going to discontinue it)......one can every oil change makes me feel better.
Our 66 Impala 427 still running strong after rebuild 25 years ago and our 67 396 has orig engine with 90K miles...:appl

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I use the driven hr5 10-40 as stated above with no problems and I used to be able to get it from a local store but that store has gone tits up so I just order it from Summit and I buy enough to get free shipping and I have multiple engines that I try to service all the same time once a year even though they don't get many miles on them.