Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Doing some clean-up of the wiring and chasing valve cover drips today. I remembered I took a pic of the plugs just before I did the tune with Rich. Below you can see the front for plugs, 1,3 and 2,4 seemed a little lighter in color. We don't have any real miles on it, lots of start idle stuff so just made a note.. Roads soaked today, had some rain and flurry's, so tomorrow will start to get it out....

Also added a few pics of the cap, notice anything odd here? Some secret sauce.... :>)

Attachments

• 20190320_200558.jpg
    20190320_200558.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190320_195607.jpg
    20190320_195607.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190320_192043.jpg
    20190320_192043.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 33

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
4-7 Swap,but we already knew that.The plugs aren't as bad as I thought they would b given how far out some of the initial settings were.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Today was able to test the new alt bracket and seemed to go well. Below is a map of me and jeannes test drive, did about 22 miles and did a few start and stops. Each time we stopped it shows up on the map and I checked for all the usual things. Seems we have less and less to do, valve covers stopped weeping and no leaks drips that i can see. Also great having that little heads up showing me where the afr is, already taken out a lot of the lean pop when you let off the accelerator. Below is a quick video of how she's starting to sound

When i hit the dump button and we went straight out, wow that made your heart start pounding... Ill add that one next time...

I do have one biggie to fix. If you listen closely, going into 4th, clutch slip! I circled on the pic where it happened and dont quite know if its the clutch, which is new but might not be able to handle it, or, if its the pedal not coming all the way back and "riding". Maybe i can try a return spring....

Either way well get it done and one step closer to really having fun!!

Attachments

• 409 testing.JPG
    409 testing.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
4-7 Swap,but we already knew that.The plugs aren't as bad as I thought they would b given how far out some of the initial settings were.

Yes, the swap and that makes me feel better. Once we get some miles Ill re-check...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If by skips,you mean grinds,shims will move the starter away farther from the flywheel,so no.Check the condition of the flywheel ring gear and the starter drive.Also check that the starter drive fully engages the flywheel.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I pulled the starter and took a pic of the teeth. I had one shim in and popped it back on without any shims she skipped, but did start. When we got back she just spun so will pull it tomorrow and by wens have a new one in hand....

On the drive I captured a quick video of the learning on the system. If you look, you will see it correcting for lean pop. Notice the AFR (air fuel ratio) on the top left. Its actual, so what is currently being given to the truck. The one next to it on the right is a target and to the right of that shows the computer actively adjusting with +fuel to get out of the lean pop condition. In time it will learn it and adjust the tables.

The other two pics are of the spark and fuel tables and how the adaptive learning is adjusting the base tune. Basically, you build a fuel table thats smooth, but looking at the charts, its correcting for VE - (Volumetric Efficiency) shown as dips in the graph. I think it could be down shifting? or engine breaking but not smart enough yet so will find out.

Attachments

• spark.JPG
    spark.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 13
  • ve1.JPG
    ve1.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ve2.JPG
    ve2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ve3.JPG
    ve3.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 11
  • ve4.JPG
    ve4.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190324_144727.jpg
    20190324_144727.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I stil think the bracket is going to flex with that thickness aluminum. It just feels too light to be stiff enough to me.
Just seen this. Anyone else notice that there are only two bolts holding the who assembly to the motor? That isn't triangulated on anything but hopes and dreams. The reason the bracket on the back of the alternator is needed in this case is because there should be a 3rd bolt attaching the assembly to the heads. Notice 3 bolt holes on the passenger side head? If there were 3 bolts actually triangulated to hold the assembly to the head then it would be plenty strong. It is a great system but like any bridge there must be 3 points to make it strong not two. Hold a bowling ball with your arms streched out and shake it. That is what the video shows me with that alternator jiggling around. Have a 3rd hand steady it and it will be rock solid.
PS. Fuel injection! :burnout

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
WOW, what a wait! Took for-EVER for that starter to arrive but slapped it in, no shim and WALLA, fired right up!! No skip, slip, or sounds that make you pucker!!

I did take it out for a quick drive and came back to a couple leaks i need to chase, valve cover driver side and PS pump hose. I can chase those today and hopefully get to the trans shop before friday. Rain today, so should be a nice day to deal with the little stuff. Then, on to Betsy and that bad a$$ polished eddy intake Ray hooked us up with.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 13

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So the neat thing about knowing, is knowing! I've been messing with the data and you can see exactly whats happening when i go from close to idle to 4500 rpm. Check out these graphs, all show the timelines on the bottom left to right

Top left is rpm, top right air fuel, bottom throttle position, injector duty cycle, engine load. Clear as a bell, this thing goes from human to animal, QUICK! Last pic is the spark and when it came in...

How cool! See the throttle get hit and millisecond response! If the words dont come through I'll try another way to post. On my laptop, as I scroll left to right on the timeline you can see everything in millisecond and its neat!

Attachments

• spark.JPG
    spark.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 17
  • capture1.JPG
    capture1.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
While there was never any doubt that Carls intake would be fantastic above about 4500,I'm amazed by what that thing does in the lower rpm ranges!:clap

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So we will keep Betsy naturally aspirated, but I DO love the accuracy and visibility you get with fuel injection. Its all about the data for me, love to know the "why" and thinking i can protect against damage too. Catch knock, or tiny items like washing the walls with fuel causing damage. In my head, i could catch the a fat issue, but not in millisecond increments and adjusting on the fly. These engines arnt getting cheaper.... The systems can catch and edit your fuel in 2% increments on the fly....

Anyway, loving data, and for about $15 bucks and you can see that data from almost ALL vehicles produced from 1996 till now. Meaning, your current daily driver. I bought this device below on amazon, (OBD with bluetooth), and plug it into the OBD adapter under my dash. I leave it, never need to do anything. I then download an app called TorquePro. I paid $5 i think?. . You can turn on the app and see your current vehicle, its data.

If you guys want to try and need help, let me know. Its kinda cool....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 4