Early vintage W-motor drag pictures

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Phil,
I don't know where the guy was from but I remember that he was completely overwhelmed by the car. All he wanted to do was sell it as soon as he got it. I don't who he sold it to.
Thought I heard he sold it to pay the taxes on it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Could be the declared value that was the problem. My buddy and I won a S3 Laguna years ago. Raffle stated value at $25,000. Up close the car was a bondo'd POS with nothing matching and a Mako paint job. Taxes were way more than what we thought the car was worth. Never got to see it up close before the drawing. When we went to claim the car, we were told about paying taxes up front. We finally told the Church we had the wrong ticket.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Back in Oct 1987, I won a BRAND NEW '88 Ford Ranger :laugh:roll:lmao in a Crown Auto parts store drawing. They put a $8800. value on that POS! The Ford dealer that handled the transaction made me write a check $800. for sales taxes and license plates for my FREE TRUCK. By the time I paid the Federal and State taxes on my FREE TRUCK, it cost me $4200. Kept it 6 months before dumping it onto a family member at another loss. No free ride out there I guess.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have no taxes on lottery winnings up here, they find other ways to tax us like on fuel.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Could be the declared value that was the problem. My buddy and I won a S3 Laguna years ago. Raffle stated value at $25,000. Up close the car was a bondo'd POS with nothing matching and a Mako paint job. Taxes were way more than what we thought the car was worth. Never got to see it up close before the drawing. When we went to claim the car, we were told about paying taxes up front. We finally told the Church we had the wrong ticket.

You lied to the church?

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
scan0001_zps6d85b1ad.jpg
62 409

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Butch Leal's '62 Biscayne 409 (suddenly II) which went to Tom & Linda Jacobson (Ole Blue). Potter brother's Ford was Les Ritchey's ex 401 HP '61 starliner.
Are you sure about the Les Ritchey car? A guy that I knew from here in Chesterfield County Va. (his first name was Wally, can't remember his last name, he passed away about 2 years ago) bought Les's Starliner from him in the mid sixties. He and Wally Duncan, a local engine builder who is also passed away went to Ca. and got the car from Les. They hauled it home on a flat bed truck. Wally had a collection of Starliners up until the mid 2000's when his health failed and he moved into a nursing home. There were several Starliners, including the old race car parked in a field and in a shed on his property for years. After Wally went to the nursing home the cars got sold. A friend of mine both one and is working on restoring It. I have asked but no one seems to know who got the race car

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A long time ago I had my 327 heads done at a machine shop in Seattle. The owner ran a '64 Hemi car new and knew the Potter brothers back then. The Potter brothers Ivan I believe knew Bill Ireland of Portland Oregon really well whom of course many of you know was a well known Ford drag racer. Bill Ireland was pretty tight with Ritchey and Performance & Associates out of Baldwin Park CA. That's where the connection in '62 was with the Starliner and the Potter bros was made. The Potter Bros put a a falcon front bumper on the Starliner for some reason as well when they raced it. They got a new '63 426 Plymouth Savoy a year later and not sure where the Starliner ended up. Keep in mind Ritchey had 2 Starliners's at Pomona in '61. The tri carbed 401 HP car and a 375 4 barrel version also.