East Coast 348-409 Reunion at Mason-Dixon

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't have a dog in this fight but the question I had after reading the rules was: "who is going to do the tech inspection ? " for this class.

Bill

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ok, here is what I was trying to do. The quote below is from my first post about thought on rules.

Gary wants us to run as one class so there won't be a HR1, HR2 or Hot Dog class. We want to make racing with us as attractive to the guys/ladies who mostly drive their car on the street as it is to people who have cars that are race only and also to people who have 348/409 powered cars that aren't what you would call Nostalgia Super Stock cars. That being said I've taken the liberty of pirating some rules from Nostalgia organizations and come up with the following. I'm asking for input from anyone interested.

Somewhere , in a later post, I also said I would like to see well built, attractive cars that will impress the track management and spectators with the intent of being invited back in the future. Everyone that attended last year got a plaque recognizing their participation. There is a possibility that in addition to that additional incentives may be added. Al will let us know when that is finalized.

My intention was to have cars on the track that will look good and impress spectators. Cars that will make the track management want us to return.

My original thoughts were to encourage good looking, safe cars that will impress spectators and track management and allow a far playing field for anyone who want to compete regardless of skill level or racing experience.

We certainly want ALL the participants that have attended the Thompson events in the past to know they are welcome and wanted to be part of this event.

Most important to me is to make sure the guys who drive their cars on the street and to local cruise shows, etc. feel they can come and have the same shot a winning as the serious drag racers.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
OK...............the way Dickie Mac 'splained it..............he wants EVERYBODY to show up with any kind of car with a 348 or 409 engine and participate and have a fair chance to compete and win. RIGHT????? Makes sense now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Since it's going to be run on a handicap or bracket format,why not just have the safety rules that would apply based on the cars et,and the tracks sanctioning body?That and the no electronics rules that would apply to a "Foot Brake" bracket class.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Since one of the goals is putting on a good show for the track & fans in hopes of this being a repeated event: If there is time during the day, I think that eliminated cars should continue to be paired off and make some heads up passes too.

It stinks to go to a big race expecting to see a car or a couple cars race only to have them redlight or breakout early and then get put on the trailer. It always made me feel like if you paid to see a movie and the reel broke.....and the theater just said too bad you don't get to see it.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Giny & I are booked at the Americas Best Value Inn in Hancock Maryland. The reason for this is Giny can';t stay at multi-floor hotels. Her M.S has progressed some and it's getting more difficult to navigate.around. It's very hard to do stairs now.She is still using the "Rollator we had at Thompson to get around. With this place we can back right to the room and walk right in. It's about 35 miles from the track (Do- able for me.)If any one is interested the rate is $79.99 a nite for 2 adults non smoking. I asked the girl at the desk if they had been contacted by the track for an event discount and was told they haven't received a call yet , but they might.
Here are the particulars for any one interested.
Americas Best Value Inn
2 Blue Hill Road
Hancock Maryland
Phone # 301-678-6108
Christina
:crazy:cheers

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Don't give me that BS Ray. You played along with everyone else. Thompson management didn't offer us as much as a free entrance for our winner and argued every time I asked for it! That was why I was ready to leave that track.
Ok, I only got a few things. I was fed up with Thompsons lack of interest too. Don't you remember the fight just to get reserved space? I didn't even get a free pass. What we did get was almost unlimited access to the track for time trials and three days of fun. What are we getting here? I never been here before, are there places for campers etc. or do we have to get off site places? Camper hookups?

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Don't give me that BS Ray. You played along with everyone else. Thompson management didn't offer us as much as a free entrance for our winner and argued every time I asked for it! That was why I was ready to leave that track.
You see Dick .... When things are explained to the rest of us it all seems to fall together. I don;t think any of group members that were not racing had a clue to what went on behind the scenes.
Ray , it's not nice to make :bow:bowBIG DICK MAD !!! Be careful , he's dealing with below par contractors right now. I feel your pain Dick.When Giny & I made a $50.00 donation to the Thompson Charity for a commemorative Brick in front of the snack stand in 2012 we realized the brick was still not there in 2013. I called Ken and he said to me"OH I'm sorry Butch I forgot " To this day I don't know if the brick is any where to be found.:no:cuss
:crazy:cheers

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
And hey! I had refreshments and subs one year and a tent. Arranged and paid for Hayden's birthday cake and fed ole Doug Marrion a few times. There was a little leg work here.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't forget about your tent "partner" and the guy who paid for Hayden's airplane tickets and motel to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yeah Phil I remember. We couldn't have pulled off Thompson without you Dick and Dicks son Allen. It turned out to be a group effort. Have to mention Jim and Jim from Canada too, they got there early every year and helped to tape off our pit area. I tried as hard as I could to get anything from the owner and manager at Thompson. I would go to a meeting every winter in Painsville with ideas and a wish list. They wouldn't give anything. That's why I pulled the plug. The way I figured it we made them a ton of money. I know a whole lot of people showed up just to see the 409's. That one year there were as many 09's there as there were Gassers!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I asked this before but didn't get any feed back. I don't see where there is camper space at Mason Dixon. Am I right?

alloy409

Well Known Member
I've been getting inquiries about hotels in the area. The Mason Dixon Dragway website lists all the hotels in the area. On their home page, click Hotels under Spectators Information.

This is for you Ray....I will get back with you regarding camper space as soon as I can. I think everything will work out.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is the hotel list from the track web site.

Mason Dixon Dragway 2015
Hotel Rates/Offers for Lodging Accommodations*

*Reservations must be made by calling the hotel/campground directly to ensure discount. Be sure to mention the rate code/name in order to ensure that discounted rate is given – rate must be requested at time of reservation. Reservations and rates are subject to availability. Rates quoted are for standard guest rooms unless otherwise indicated. Rates do not include state and local taxes.

HOTELS:

Americas Best Value Inn - 35 miles from the track
2 Blue Hill Road

Hancock, MD 21750
301-678-6108 | www.abvihancock.com
Special Offer: Our rate will be $50 plus tax for a single king room, $55 plus tax for a single queen room and $60 plus tax for a room with two double beds.

Property Benefits or Amenities: Wi Fi, free breakfast, coffee maker, fridge and microwave in rooms.

To Get This Special Rate: Reserve by calling hotel directly and ask for rate code : Maso

Best Western Grand Venice Hotel
431 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740

800-2-VENICE / 301-733-0830 | www.grandvenicehotel.com
Special Offer: Our rate will be $72.00 plus tax for a king or double queen.

Property Benefits or Amenities: Outdoor pool, 24/7 restaurant on site, free breakfast, free Wi Fi.

To Get This Special Rate: Reserve by calling hotel directly and ask for rate code: Mason Dixon

Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
901 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740

301-733-5100 | www.clarionhagerstown.com
Special Offer: Our rate will be $79.00 plus tax, one king or two doubles, which includes breakfast.

Property Benefits or Amenities: Indoor heated pool, business & fitness center, restaurant and lounge.

To Get This Special Rate: Reserve by calling hotel directly and ask for rate code: Mason Dixon

Comfort Inn & Suites - 6.5 miles from the track
920 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740

301-739-9050 | www.choicehotels.com/hotel/md013
Special Offer: Our rate will be $69.00 plus tax for single or double occupancy. 

Property Benefits or Amenities: Deluxe continental breakfast with waffles, eggs, & sausage served daily from 6:30 – 9:30 am, free Wi Fi. All rooms have microwaves & refrigerators, small fitness center, guest laundry.

To Get This Special Rate: Must call hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: DRAGWAY

Comfort Suites Hotel - 5 miles from the track
1801 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740
301-791-8100 | www.choicehotels.com/hotel/md040
Special Offer: Our rate will be $69.00 plus tax for a room with two queen beds or one king.

Property Benefits or Amenities: Hot/cold breakfast daily, indoor heated pool, fitness center.

To Get This Special Rate: You must call hotel directly and ask for rate code: MD 69

Courtyard by Marriott Hagerstown
17270 Valley Mall Road

Hagerstown, MD 21740

301-582-0043 | www.marriott.com/hgrht
Special Offer: Our rate will be $104.00 plus tax.

Property Benefits or Amenities: The Courtyard by Marriott Hagerstown is the newest hotel in Hagerstown offering the Courtyard Bistro serving Starbucks Coffee and breakfast made to order. The Bistro turns into a full bar and offers easy dinner options. Enjoy our courtyard area complete with fire pit and pond.

To Get This Special Rate: Must call hotel directly and reference Mason Dixon Dragway when making your reservation to receive the discounted rate.

Hagerstown Days Inn
1101 Dual Highway

Hagerstown, MD 21740

301-733-2700 | www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryland/hagerstown/days-inn-hagerstown/hotel-overview
Special Offer: Our rate will be $54.99 plus tax for 1-2 people. This rate is based on availability and is not accepted during holiday weekends or for local residents.

Property Benefits or Amenities: All rooms include a refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker as well as a 32-inch flat-screen TV with digital cable and free high-speed wireless internet. Breakfast is included with your room and includes homemade waffles. We also have a guest laundry on-site.

To Get This Special Rate: Must call the hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: MASON DIXON DRAGWAY

Hagerstown Super 8
1220 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740
301-739-5800 | www.super8.com/hotels/maryland/hagerstown/super-8-hagerstown/hotel-overview
Special Offer: Our rate will be $54.99 plus tax for 1-2 people. This rate is based on availability and is not accepted during holiday weekends or for local residents.

Property Benefits or Amenities: All rooms include a refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker as well as a 32-inch flat-screen TV with digital cable and free high-speed wireless internet. Breakfast is included with your room and includes homemade waffles. We also have a guest laundry on-site.

To Get This Special Rate: Must call the hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: MASON DIXON DRAGWAY

Hampton Inn-Hagerstown I-81
18300 Peak Circle
Hagerstown, MD 21742
240-420-1970 | www.hagerstown.hamptoninn.com
Special Offer: Our rate will be $99.00 plus tax for king standard or double queen standard.

Property Benefits or Amenities: All rooms include microwave and refrigerator, 32 inch TV, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, complimentary hot breakfast, 24/7 coffee bar, suite shop with beer and wine sales, business center, fitness room, coin operated guest laundry, indoor pool.

To Get This Rate: Must call hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: Mason Dixon Drag Way $99.00

Hampton Inn-Hagerstown, MD - 5 miles from the track
1716 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740
301-739-6100 | www.hamptoninn.com
Special Offer: Our rate will be $99.00 plus tax for king standard or double queen standard.

Property Benefits or Amenities: All rooms include microwave and refrigerator, 32 inch TV, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, complimentary hot breakfast, 24/7 coffee bar, suite shop with beer and wine sales, business center, fitness room, coin operated guest laundry, outdoor pool.

To Get This Rate: Must call hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: Mason Dixon Drag Way $99.00

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
241 Railway Lane

Hagerstown, MD 21740

301-745-5644 | www.hagerstownexpress.com
Special Offer: Our rate will be 10% off Rack Rate.

Property Benefits or Amenities: Includes full hot breakfast buffet. In-room coffee pots, hairdryers, irons, microwaves, refrigerators and Wi Fi. Fitness center, indoor pool & Jacuzzi. Free parking. Guest Laundry.

To Get This Rate: Must call hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: Mason

Sleep Inn & Suites of Clear Spring
12426 Houck Avenue
Clear Spring, MD 21722
301-842-0290 | www.choicehotels.com/hotel/MD217
Special Offer:Our rate will be $75.00 plus tax for a standard room, $95.00 plus tax for a suite.

Property Benefits or Amenities: Free hot breakfast buffet, indoor pool & Jacuzzi, fitness room, free Wi Fi, all rooms equipped with coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave.

To Get This Rate: Must call hotel directly for reservations and ask for rate code: Mason Dixon Dragway 2015

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Hagerstown
17280 Valley Mall Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
301-582-0011 | www.marriott.com/hgrsh
Special Offer: Our rate will be $109.00 plus tax. 

Property Benefits or Amenities: The SpringHill Suites by Marriott offers complimentary hot breakfast buffet daily included with your rate. Newly renovated as of January 2013.

To Get This Special Rate: Must call hotel directly and reference Mason Dixon Dragway when making your reservation to receive the discounted rate.

Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We are staying here and lots of trailer parking
Comfort Inn & Suites 920 Dual Highway Hagerstown, MD 21740
301-739-9050 | www.choicehotels.com/hotel/md013Special Offer: Our rate will be $69.00 plus tax for single or double occupancy. 

Property Benefits or Amenities: Deluxe continental breakfast with waffles, eggs, & sausage served daily from 6:30 – 9:30 am, free Wi Fi. All rooms have microwaves & refrigerators, small fitness center, guest laundry.