electrical short

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
New battery and altenator. Battery has gone completely dead twice in a week. Car wasn't used during the week. Has to be an electrical short to ground. There is a procedure using the battery and a test light to trace down the short. Can someone remember it for me? Thanks, Ed

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ed, I would suspect the alternator, since it is new. The early one wire alternators were bad about draining batteries. If there is a problem with the regulator in your new alternator it could do that. Charge battery and leave the battery terminal wire off the alternator and see if the battery is still up the following morning. Im not too sharp with electrical systems, so maybe others will have better suggestions. Good luck...........

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
test light

Ed, I would suspect the alternator, since it is new. The early one wire alternators were bad about draining batteries. If there is a problem with the regulator in your new alternator it could do that. Charge battery and leave the battery terminal wire off the alternator and see if the battery is still up the following morning. Im not too sharp with electrical systems, so maybe others will have better suggestions. Good luck...........

Put the test light across the neg. terminal . If there is a draw on the battery the light will be on. Start removing the fuses and bulbs until the light go out. That where the short is. I would check the regulator first . If you have a one wire , the diode could still be bad. Good luck.

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Ronnie & Jester. The problem existed before I got a new battery and had
alternator rebuilt. I also used another alternator and problem remained. Think I'll find short now that I have procedure to follow. Ed

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
short

You should start by disconnecting the regulater on the rad. support. Just a thought.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ed, Are you sure the alternator is wired correctly in your 59?? Have you had success with the charging system as it is wired now?? Just curious. The alternators with build in regulators are simple to wire in to the older cars, but maybe a thorough inspection might help. :)

1958 impala

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Short

Ed
if you have every thing off if you touch pos cable to bat and you get a amall spark something is still drawing power,if you have spark, eliminate wires by pulling plugs one at a time under dash. You will find prob eventually,:cheers when you do youll have no spark when you touch cable to bat

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
58er, Man, That is old school..... Time consuming but works every time. Just used that technique to straighten out my car. Many problems, but all fixed now.