Ever have a cable break on a hoist?

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had a starter capacitor go bad on mine.It was still under warranty.The first thing the lift manufacturer tech asked me was if I always lower it down onto the floor or locks and release the tension in the cables.Not only for safety but it is also easier on the pump when starting.
I agree with everyone else here,he was given some bad info.

62BillT

Well Known Member
How thick are these cables?

Sounds like they need to be made stronger.

Don't have a lift yet, but it is in my plans.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a 2 post Challenger lift and had my 580 SL MBZ up for about a year resteing on the locks. Went to lower it and nothing. Called the locally distributor who said just keep the button engaged and it'll eventually raise up then lift it off the locks. Did that and worked as he stated.
I felt I dodged the bullet but since then, won't kept a car on a lift for a long period of time.

bobs409

Administrator
I have a 2 post Challenger lift and had my 580 SL MBZ up for about a year resteing on the locks. Went to lower it and nothing. Called the locally distributor who said just keep the button engaged and it'll eventually raise up then lift it off the locks. Did that and worked as he stated.
I felt I dodged the bullet but since then, won't kept a car on a lift for a long period of time.

You do have to raise these up before you can disengage the locks so you take the pressure off them. That's a 4 post anyway.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

Leak down in the hydraulic is the cause of this, but not a big deal as the locks will hold tell you pump up the system again.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just had my cylinder rebuilt on my Eagle lift. Built in 2005 and Eagle didnt have seals for it. Sent me to a guy in Cali who never called back after I talked to him. Luckily found a place local in Chicago who was willing to do it. They do huge hydraulic rams. Mine looked like a skinny kid next to some of that stuff. My cables are good still. I replaced one years ago due to the threads on the adjusting end were galled. ALWAYS drop it on the locks. Whoever you talked to was clueless.