Finally Finished A Project

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Wow Cecil, I love it! Most of us know what effort goes into restoring a car; what would you say, 50 times as much to do an airplane?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Have you flown it yet????? Since we know what's hot and what's not in car's ,how do these plane''s compare in as selling ,I mean is there a demand for these????

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
An airplane is just like a boat…..except that you throw money up into a hole in the air instead of a hole in the water.
No profit here, just a labor of love. I have over $160k in it and will be lucky to get $100k back.
Thanks for all the compliments guys, now if I could just complete a car project……...

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I got the airplane in 1996 all in pieces on pallets and spent the next 4 years building it in Tucson putting over 200k miles on my truck driving back and forth. I flew it off of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson in 2000. After 6 years on the waiting list, I finally got a hangar at my airport on September 9, 2001. After 9/11 I flew for 2 more months with the airline until I had to go in for my semi annual physical. The Doc told me my blood pressure was out of control and I flunked the flight physical and couldn't fly anymore. Fortunately we had a good disability program so I went out on medical and put the airplane in storage until 2009. I finally got the BP problem under control and started flying again. I tried to sell the airplane for the last 3 years but nobody wanted it in it's unpainted unrestored state. Last month, the local paint shop had a hole in their schedule and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now that it has "curb appeal" I should have a better chance of selling it.

Early pics

Loading138286a.jpg
[/URL]

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Very interesting Cecil, not everyone build's a airplane LOL The plane look's fantastic. Good luck with the sale,then maybe you can finish some of those easier car ,pickup project's.:D

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow. And I thought I had bitten off too much on my Belair build.

Thats amazing and a real credit to you Cecil. Good luck with the sale.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cecil, what a great job!!

That is a fantastic looking airplane, my congratulations!

I can't imagine what it takes to complete something like this. When we build a car and it stops running we just pull over to the side of the road, when you're flying and the engine stops, well now that's a different story.

Kind of have to have it right the first time!!!

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Super cool Cecil :cool:, I remember what it was like when we visited in 08. You will be absolutely stoked with the outcome of this.
Full credit.

Gav

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil................your finished product is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!
If I could make it down there sometime.....I'd be honored to pay for an hours worth of fuel if you would give me a ride!!! I know I'll never get a ride in a Corsair and yours would be next best!!!!

Last edited:

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
What a great looking aircraft! You should feel a great sense of accomplishment!!:appl:appl:appl

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cecil, that is an Awesome Photo!! Congratulations!! What a great looking airplane.

Is this the one you had disassembled?