Finally Id'ed 1961 409 Valve Covers

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
About a year ago, I posted a set of valve covers that I had questions about, that resulted in many comments on what they may be. I think now they have been identified. Thanks to Pat Lobb and his discussions with Verne Franz years ago, I feel confident now that they are the rare original valve covers for the 1961 409 production motor. There is a great back story on how I got these, but for now, I'm psyched on potentially unraveling another piece of 409 history. Pat was kind enough to research his archives and found a 1961 article with photos on the 1961 409 engine.

One the surface, these valve covers are exactly as the Hi-Po 348 valve covers. The wire looms are in the same positions. however, they, (HP 348) did not have drippers. It has also been noted that the 1961 409 did not have any decals on the VC's. They were painted only.

Comments ?

IMG_2673-1.jpeg
IMG_2674-1.jpeg
IMG_2675-1.jpeg
IMG_9316.jpeg
IMG_9315.jpeg

IMG_8478.jpeg
IMG_0918.jpeg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
According to the Feb 61 P&A Catalogue (revised Nov 62) the 58-61 348-409 Valve Cover is listed as part no. 3759968 and is interchangeable left to right and without any distinction between 3x2 and 4 barrel applications and no separate listing specifically for 409 covers indicating no drippers. The Note says that it includes two supports and 6 rivets indicating that the wire supports are to be installed by the buyer. Im sure that is because the main wire supports will need to be installed according to carb configuriation and left or right side.

The 62-63 valve covers are shown as part nos. 38151137 left and 3815137 right so they are not interchangeable since there is no difference on carburetion configuration, only left to right side application. Drippers may be left to right specific also. I don't have any drippers to compare to. Interesting that there was no specific listing for 63 SHP (400/425hp) chromed dripper covers vs 340hp non-dripper covers. Since the revision is dated Nov 62 it makes me wonder if the 340hp engine had been offically approved for production yet.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Actually those look just like 62 covers as far as I can tell. The wire supports on 62 are in the same location on the flat area on earlier covers. All illustrations in the 62 AIM show them that way. I always thought the 62 covers were the same as 59-61except for drippers.

john wise

Well Known Member
I have a set that does not have the cutouts on the rail to hold the valve cover gaskets in place. They have an inner rail inside the valve cover to hold the gasket. Year?

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
According to the Feb 61 P&A Catalogue (revised Nov 62) the 58-61 348-409 Valve Cover is listed as part no. 3759968 and is interchangeable left to right and without any distinction between 3x2 and 4 barrel applications and no separate listing specifically for 409 covers indicating no drippers. The Note says that it includes two supports and 6 rivets indicating that the wire supports are to be installed by the buyer. Im sure that is because the main wire supports will need to be installed according to carb configuriation and left or right side.

The 62-63 valve covers are shown as part nos. 38151137 left and 3815137 right so they are not interchangeable since there is no difference on carburetion configuration, only left to right side application. Drippers may be left to right specific also. I don't have any drippers to compare to. Interesting that there was no specific listing for 63 SHP (400/425hp) chromed dripper covers vs 340hp non-dripper covers. Since the revision is dated Nov 62 it makes me wonder if the 340hp engine had been offically approved for production yet.
Here is a picture of a pair of NOS valve covers part # 3853411. The packaging has two separate boxes taped together, from the factory, called out as "Cover Unit". This verifies oldskydog's note, except the part#? The shipping date to Fisher Chevrolet in Boulder, Colorado is Oct. 10, 1973. They are NOT drippers.

Attachments

• NOS Valve Convers.jpg
    NOS Valve Convers.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 24