flat tappet cams

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I just spoke to a gentleman named Harold at Camcrafters.They have some cores for our engines and will grind them to whatever spec's we need.They also have a catalog for original ''High Performance" factory grinds for those ''Resto''guys.We didn't discuss price but he did say that the cam core prices have gone thru the roof.This was brought on when a new member Marty posted the 425.00 price that Show Cars quoted him for an 0950 FLAT tappet cam.That's a roller cam price.Lifters are scarce but they have a few as we speak.

Last edited:

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
I just spoke to a gentleman named Harold at Camcrafters.They have some cores for our engines and will grind them to whatever spec's we need.They also have a catalog for original ''High Performance" factory grinds for those ''Resto''guys.We didn't discuss price but he did say that the cam core prices have gone thru the roof.This was brought on when a new member Marty posted the 425.00 price that Show Cars quoted him for an 0950 FLAT tappet cam.That's a roller cam price.Lifters are scarce but they have a few as we speak.
Thanks for passing this on to us Don! It would be interesting to see what they would charge to grind one.
Hydraulic lifters seem pretty available from what I have found?
Marty

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes they're available from from several places,most are reboxed off shore made junk.If one goes hyd.flat be sure to source your lifters from a quailty source like Isky and do not under any circumstances get ''parts house'' brands.Remember having your new flat tappet fail,and the problem isn't the fault of the installer,the parts themselves are trash,will wind up costing you MORE than you would have spent doing the hyd.roller in the first place.

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
Yes they're available from from several places,most are reboxed off shore made junk.If one goes hyd.flat be sure to source your lifters from a quailty source like Isky and do not under any circumstances get ''parts house'' brands.Remember having your new flat tappet fail,and the problem isn't the fault of the installer,the parts themselves are trash,will wind up costing you MORE than you would have spent doing the hyd.roller in the first place.
Well put Don. I would think lifters from the lifter manufacturers would be best, Isky, Comp, Howard etc? Name brand. I agree. Not to cheap out here....

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
Stay away from Comp[do not pass go,collect 200 dollars].I don't know whon Howardss sources their lifters from but have heard no complaints.I have NEVER had a quality issue with anything from Isky or Lunati.
Got it. Seems like Competition Cams would want to sell good matching products. Are they no good anymore?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A lot of Comp's stuff is from off shore[cheapest place they can get] and there's been a ton of complaints about them.Their cams and springs are good,but there's been problems with their roller lifters as well.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Unfortunately good USA lifters are generally more expensive, if you are paying in the $100 range for a set of lifters they are probably made in CHINA. A good set of USA made flat tappet lifters (Howards) are in the $400 range, as the ol saying goes you get what you pay for.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have always preferred Crower, Lunati and Delphi pretty much in that order.

The problem now is who is really making them and are they even available? I'm not saying any of the above have changed their suppliers or are actually offshoring, I'm saying I don't know. Kinda like the MSD stuff that went offshore a few years ago.

Then you have to ask yourself "do I really want to take the chance or should I just use a roller?

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
I have always preferred Crower, Lunati and Delphi pretty much in that order.

The problem now is who is really making them and are they even available? I'm not saying any of the above have changed their suppliers or are actually offshoring, I'm saying I don't know. Kinda like the MSD stuff that went offshore a few years ago.

Then you have to ask yourself "do I really want to take the chance or should I just use a roller?
If the name brand vendors are having failures because of the lifters THEY test and source, I can't imagine they simply continue and ruin a reputation. Doesn't make sense.
I can not find any Roller cams and roller rockers for under $1200. Chevy didn't build them that way anyway. I am NOT disagreeing with all of you that rollers are much less headache. But flat tappet hydraulic cams work well if broken in properly. I don't disagree, that off shore lifters could be questionable. But I sort of have a hard time believing name brand cam manufacturers would risk their reputation in providing sub par lifters with their camshafts......I'm all for sourcing a good lifter.....

How many of you are running Hydraulic flat tappet cams and lifters in your 348/409's? What brand did you use and from what vintage?
I'm not fighting you guys. I just broke in an Edelbrock supplied cam and lifters in my Small Block Chevy build. No problems.

Marty

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Howards lists a hyd.roller cam and lifters for 899.UNFORTUNATLY the cam isn't currently availeable.This was as of this past Saturday.It really doesn't matter what someone has in their motors now because most of them were built before the zinc was removed and the lifter problems[last couple of years] starting showing it's head.If you can find lifters made 3or4 years ago[pre Covid] they're likely ok.What we did yesturday doesn't matter ,it's what we have today to work with that matters.I mean no disrespect but if I don't call it the way it is,I'm not helping anybody.

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
Howards lists a hyd.roller cam and lifters for 899.UNFORTUNATLY the cam isn't currently availeable.This was as of this past Saturday.It really doesn't matter what someone has in their motors now because most of them were built before the zinc was removed and the lifter problems[last couple of years] starting showing it's head.If you can find lifters made 3or4 years ago[pre Covid] they're likely ok.What we did yesturday doesn't matter ,it's what we have today to work with that matters.I mean no disrespect but if I don't call it the way it is,I'm not helping anybody.
Thanks Don!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Don is right, there may be some good stuff in the pipeline or on a shelf somewhere, but how would you recognize it? I have never lost a flat tappet cam either, but I have not built one in maybe 3-4 years. I still have some running, and I know exactly what lifters (Crower) were put in. That was then, now is now and they would be rollers if I built or rebuilt them today.

The other thing is, if you are doing it for yourself, you can do whatever you want and live with the risk/short-term rewards. On the other hand, if you are building or even recommending for someone else, you are expecting them to at least share the risk and that isn't a good plan.