Flow Numbers 690 Heads

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You're welcome. Pretty sure I speak for everyone here about that......and also it applies to a lot of the members here. There are several of you who do a lot of their own work and have incredible cars. A lot of them posting in this very thread. I'm glad all of you are W motor enthusiasts, but just think what any of you could accomplish with one of those easy/cheap engine platforms. (Nowhere near as much fun in that though!)

Dr Richard Kimble

Well Known Member
Nice,are you going to run it straight up,or advanced?Who ground it for you?

Cam is from Comp .
at the moment , it's straight up . If the engine ends up a bit "soft" at low rpm , I may advance it .

flat tappet for idiots ? !
no
flat tappet for those who would like money left over for gas !
hyd roller is nearly 3 1/2 times the cost of a flat tappet . also , there seems to be a concern with controlling them at high rpm .

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Doing pretty good with the 690's casting I think. Looking like within 6% of what Nick's getting out of his eddy's full out????

Nothing against Tom or Jim's guy at AP racing, BOTH are getting within 6% of what Nick's MAXED out Eddy's as per the other thread. Wonder if Nick could get even closer with some other "tricks" that could be possible.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm sure there is some more left. I don't have enough material left to play with valve/seat angles so that's out. I can take a little more out in the pinch area which I will do. The bowl area I won't touch. Without a junk head to experiment with before hand I am at the point where I could easily do more harm than good. The guy who flowed it said it was a quiet port. Now I have to do the other seven :cry

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh man make sure you wear eye protection and a mask for sure. I rigged up a shop vac and some duct tape when I ported my heads. I could taste iron dust for weeks after I was done….and my hands got the shakes for awhile too from running the grinder. Not fun work thats for sure!

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
So what IS the BEST cast intake for these heads to make power??? I know I can get a sheetmetal made that will work, and my Eddy dual quad is ok for now, but what is out there that's better??? I image if you CAN get the Speed Port 7000, it would be right up there, but anything in a 2X4 set up???

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The LWA / CRW single plane and the M/T Crossram are all that was ever cast for these that I know of.

EDIT: Weiand made a tunnel ram looks like the Hi-Ram series. I've seen pictures of ONE only. Has to be rarer than rare!