Frame differences

bobs409

Administrator
First off, thanks to Brian Thompson who helped me out with my 63 Impala project by sending me a piece of rear frame.

Thought I'd share an unusual finding that I bet no one here knows of. The rear side frame piece he sent measures 2 1/4" at the top and 1 7/8" at the bottom in width. Mine is only 1 5/8" both top and bottom. :dunno

Both are the C channel type. His from a 62, mine a 63. Mine is a Baltimore built car.

The only thing I can think of is it must be a different manufacturer but it seems odd there would be such a difference. :scratch

I'll have to trim this one down so it matches my other side but it will work out anyway.

The first 2 pics show the frame side by side although it's a bit hard to tell. The last 2 pics show my car now with the quarter compeletly removed. It took 2 days to remove all the spot welds around the whole perimeter. (about 6 hours total) That trunk lip area was the WORST! The new wheel house is just clamped in. It's giving me some motivation when I look at it. :D

I never thought I'd see my baby like this but it's the only way to do it right. On a good note, I can save the tail light panels, trunk lip and panel behind the rear window! :deal

Bob

Attachments

• 100_5721.jpg
    100_5721.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_5722.jpg
    100_5722.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_5723.jpg
    100_5723.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_5724.jpg
    100_5724.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 72

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob-

Glad the pieces made it to you. I can't believe the differences in the rear frame section! Pretty wierd. If you want the other side, I can get it sent out to you.

Are you sure you are actually doing work on your car??? The floor is way too clean. I think you need to leave it dirty while you work on it to keep motivated!!! :roll:roll:roll

Looks good and remember that it will all pay off in the end!

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I recall reading sometime back that GM Chevy assembly plants used frames from three different manufactures. No single plant could make enough frames to make the demand. Also, they did not want to depend on one supplier. They were all a little different and one even had a boxed in rear channel.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bob and Brian; Looking at the two frame sections, pretty much speaks for itself.:dunno Bob's frame, rusted and crusty. Forty five years of salt and bad winters.:dunno Brians frame, almost new looking, 46 years without, bad winter's:clap Skip:)

bobs409

Administrator
Darn Skip, I was hoping no one could tell which one was which! :D

Mine is mostly rusty and crusty from sitting outside for 25 years without being driven. Let that be a lesson to anyone letting a good old Chevy sleep under the stars. I'll be paying now (heavily) for my mistake. :eek:

I am envious of the condition of cars in the west & south. You guys don't know how good you have it!

Luckily, just the rear of the cars frame is rusty like this primarily this side. From the coil springs forward is like new from either paint or grease/oil. The other side rear frame is much better so I'm keeping that. The only other rusty items would be the rear, coil springs and the trailing arms. I'll be removing those and sandblasting them so should come out good. (springs will be replaced)

In my defense, I must say that this car wasn't perfect when I bought it either. Both corners of the trunk were rotted through near the body mounts (typical for cars around here), inside the gas filler compartment was rotted and areas like bottoms of fenders and quarters had been repaired. (car was repainted before I got it) She looked good but was in normal used condition for the time when I bought it. (at age 14 in 1981) There, I feel a little better anyway. :D

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Bob-

Are you sure you are actually doing work on your car??? The floor is way too clean.

Here's a pic so Brian will know that I'm working on my car. :D And notice the dirt pile under the car. That's where I've been sweeping everything. :roll

Got the frame rail trimed down and welded in. I also repaired the body mount hole. Everything went well. Still have all 10 fingers so it must be a good day. :p

Felt good actually installing something for a change. So far, all I do is cut things off! :eek:

Attachments

• 100_5727.jpg
    100_5727.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 66

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
"old school" is correct as I remember.
I remember the guy @ the frame place in Atlanta(close to Tech-between Marietta & Techwood)told me that there were 3-one was A.O. Smith(yeah, the hot water heaters & rv STUFF). dON'T REMEMBER THE OTHERS. oNE WAS CHANNEL WELDED TOGETHER(WHICH MY 59 nOMAD HAD) & the others were square(??) tubing.

62sedan

X-Frames

1958-1964 Chevrolet X-Frame Manufacturers

1.) A.O. Smith - built reinforced frames for convertibles from 2 “C” channels welded together

2.) BUDD Corporation – built frames for sedans and hardtops from 2 “C” channels welded together

3.) Chevrolet – built frames for sedans and hardtops from an extruded steel tube. This has become known as the very popular and sought after "seamless" frame .......... aka "California", "Canadian", or "Detroit" frame

bobs409

Administrator
That sure looks stronger than the one I have! :browThat frame is nice and clean. You don't see them like that here in Pa.

$450 for just a frame? I paid $750 for the whole car! lol (that was in 1981 though) :p