Fran Preves leaves us on Christmas

:cheersI know this is a sore subject around here but yesterday someone in the GM world left us. He was a very smart man with numbers and records to back his bark up. So lets let the past go behind us about our bickering and give him the honor that he deserves.

Rest in Peace Fran!

Thank you for notifying us.
He was always a character;), and undoubtedly had a wealth of knowledge:bow I personlly, enjoyed his rants:beerbang

RIP, Fran

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Most Unfortunate!

I got to know Fran fairly well not long after I joined this site...
After he was bannished (the second time) I heard little from him. I know that he ruffled a few feather here, but in real life, Fran was indeed a nice guy! He was!

To him this website, as well as the others that he belonged to, was just entertainment, as is should be...

I lost touch with him about a year or so ago.

So SAD to hear!

:cry

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm sorry to hear this, he did ruffle some feathers but I visited him while in Buffalo back in 2004 and he was very nice to me and showed me some of his GM stuff.
Does anyone know if he had been sick? I had not heard from him in a long time.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Im very sorry to hear that he lost his fight to cancer as Fran was a contributer to the National Chevelle Owners Association Chevelle report and I met him at the Chevelle showdown many times. He worked up at Tonowanda Chevy Engine Plant during the most of the glory years and he did have many records saved from the dumpster to help us with build data. I met him at a tour at the engine plant one time in the 80s

I would say this, over many years in the medical profession, you meet people who live outside the normal personalites, but I have learned never to totally ignor there opinon or trash there views because they see the world differently then some of us. Once they are gone however, they are gone and there their accumulated life knowledge is lost. Im sorry he was kicked off this site since he loved the W engine most of all. Good Luck Fran where ever you are.

PS
It appears he passed away on Christmas day , which happens to also be the same day Louis Chevrolet was born.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Rip

I'd like to echo all the fine comments made about Fran. He was truly knowledgeable and passionate about his GM brands, and contributed much to the discussions on this Forum. He inspired many of us to learn more details about what really happened when the molten iron was poured into the mold, and afterwards. I valued his contributions, and wish that I had the chance to meet him face-to-face. We all wish him the best and our condolences go out to his family and close friends.

Perhaps we should do something for him, like send remembrances to his family. Is there a location/address that we might do that?

A person is best judged by those who mourn his passing, and I'm sure Fran had many friends, including those among us, who feel that loss. May his soul rest in peace forever.

TomK

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I too enjoyed Fran and his rants. He seemed very knowledgeable about the inner workings at g.m. He will be missed. Brian

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
he mailed me some very old drag boat magazines. i may have his adress, but I am in Florida. 80 and sunny here today. RIP Fran.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Sad news indeed.:(
I have thought about Fran every now and then.
Sometimes a bit abrasive and well,........ anybody that has been here long enough knows how Fran was, no need to explain. I will say that it is too bad, and he will be missed.
Fran here is to you- :cheers , God Bless, R.I.P. Thank you for sharing your GM knowledge.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Im very sorry to hear that he lost his fight to cancer as Fran was a contributer to the National Chevelle Owners Association Chevelle report and I met him at the Chevelle showdown many times. He worked up at Tonowanda Chevy Engine Plant during the most of the glory years and he did have many records saved from the dumpster to help us with build data. I met him at a tour at the engine plant one time in the 80s

I would say this, over many years in the medical profession, you meet people who live outside the normal personalites, but I have learned never to totally ignor there opinon or trash there views because they see the world differently then some of us. Once they are gone however, they are gone and there their accumulated life knowledge is lost. Im sorry he was kicked off this site since he loved the W engine most of all. Good Luck Fran where ever you are.

PS
It appears he passed away on Christmas day , which happens to also be the same day Louis Chevrolet was born.

"He worked up at Tonowanda Chevy Engine Plant"

I can hear him say: "It's TONAWANDA". Misspelling of Tonawanda would tick him off. Fran will be missed. Hope he and Fred can get together again and talk about Chevrolets.

As I remember it was Fran's decision to leave 348-409. He did not get booted off by the administrator--he asked to have his membership cancelled. It was after a heated political discussion about the upcoming '04 Presidential election, not a car discussion. Fran hated "W", was a John Kerry supporter.

Rick

oil4kids

Well Known Member
a typo, but it appears GM Inside News mis-spells it too

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/tonowanda-celebrates-70-years-68830/

Francis L. Preve
PREVE - Francis L. December 25, 2008 of Grand Island; husband of Claudia A. (Zdybowicz) Preve; father of Kelli A. (David) Kompare; grandfather of Mya Kompare; brother of Suzanne (Som) Bhattacharya; son of the late Francis P. and Dorothy Preve. Friends may call Tuesday 2-4 and 7-9 PM followed by a prayer service Tuesday at 9:00 PM at the KAISER FUNERAL HOME, 1950 Whitehaven Rd., Grand Island, flowers gratefully declined. Memorials may be made to Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Mr. Preve retired after 33 years with GM Power Train, was Harbor Master at Big Six Marina and was an avid drag racer at Lancaster Speedway.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I am sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to Fran's family and friends. I hadn't heard that Fran was sick with cancer.

RIP