Front and rear bumpers

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine that looks like it'd be fun! What brand headers are those?

I don't recall the brand of headers but I did buy them from Show Cars. The passenger side fit well but not so with the driver side because I was insistent on using the original steering box with the straight axle. Had to take 2 of the tubes apart, redesign and then weld them back together. This was all for naught because I could never mate the old steering with the new. Very long story, but eventually I got rid of the stock steering box and used a Vega box up front. Again, I had to take the headers apart and redesign them around the steering. Think I finally got it though. I think the car will be fun, but I haven't really hammered it yet because I only have about 150 miles on the motor. Seems to be fairly potent. 348/434, turbo 400 with 2200 stall and stock 3.70 "P" case posi. Pretty quick from the start but the trans. does need a shift kit. Hope to put a few hundred more miles on it, then its time to have that fun. I purposely bought stock tires for the rear and my goal is to smoke them until they become slicks LOL.

The car is a '56 210 2d stationwagon that I bought in Montana. Supposedly only had 4700 miles on it but we all know how that story goes. I don't regret buying it, but I wouldn't do it again. The roof was caved in and required much more skill and expertise then I would ever possess. Had some help with it but it was a long process. Trying to get so many parts to fit right at the same time was a pure challenge. I refused to cut the A-frame and welded in a straight axle from Speedway. The interior turned out real nice. I think the '63 Impala SS buckets and console are the most beautiful ever made, so guess what? I have them in my gasser. Done over by Ciadella's with '56 period correct yellow vinyl and black cloud cloth. Overall, all things taken into consideration, the car did turn out very nice. Once we get rid of this 9' of snow outside and temps get into the double digits, I will take some outside pics and post them. I'd like to share them with everyone, Carmine.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
carmine I am in the Syracuse area, stay away from sandys they are freaking terrible. last winter I needed 55 buick taillights and the dash pieces for my 53 delivery project replated. everyone I know in this area told me not to go to sandys I went anyhow and they absolutely suck. the kid tony is a complete self absorbed goon. ruined one of my taillights and there are zinc shadows on the dash parts. like flushing money right in the shitcan.
tony gave me an 1 1/2 hour dissertation on how awesome he is and nobody else knows anything. when I went to pick up the parts they were wrapped up in about 20 layers of paper and tape, so I bust out my knife to check out the quality and the goon freaks out, saying he dosent have the time to watch me unwrap everything.
total clowns and their last name is bozo, no joke bozo.
I bought a set of aftermarket 62 bumpers off a place on ebay last fall, both bumpers and shipping $574.20. they fit real nice and the chrome is very nice quality.
the ebay username is motorco18013.
I am in Pennellville ny about 20 min north of Syracuse if you are in the area you can stop by and check them out.

bobs409

Administrator
Wow! See, this is why I really dread this whole re-chrome thing. Many years ago, there was a guy about 10 miles from me that did this type of work. I talked to him for hours and after assuring me he could put the brackets and snorkels back on my air cleaner and valve covers the same as GM did after taking apart for the re-chrome, I had him do my parts. Big surprise when I find he put those back on with stainless bolts and acorn nuts! I still have them and have to look at those every time I open my hood. Many other flaws as well.

This will probably be the worst part of the whole restoration process! :furious

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
carmine I am in the Syracuse area, stay away from sandys they are freaking terrible. last winter I needed 55 buick taillights and the dash pieces for my 53 delivery project replated. everyone I know in this area told me not to go to sandys I went anyhow and they absolutely suck. the kid tony is a complete self absorbed goon. ruined one of my taillights and there are zinc shadows on the dash parts. like flushing money right in the shitcan.
tony gave me an 1 1/2 hour dissertation on how awesome he is and nobody else knows anything. when I went to pick up the parts they were wrapped up in about 20 layers of paper and tape, so I bust out my knife to check out the quality and the goon freaks out, saying he dosent have the time to watch me unwrap everything.
total clowns and their last name is bozo, no joke bozo.
I bought a set of aftermarket 62 bumpers off a place on ebay last fall, both bumpers and shipping $574.20. they fit real nice and the chrome is very nice quality.
the ebay username is motorco18013.
I am in Pennellville ny about 20 min north of Syracuse if you are in the area you can stop by and check them out.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Sandys. My one and only personal experience with them, was a good one. A friend had even more experiences with them, and he is very happy. I know they are a family operated business. I think Tony is a son of the owner who actually made the pickup. Met him. Seems absorbed in himself. I still like the quality of the work they did for me and my friend, but I'll look around also. Thanks for sharing your experience, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Jim, the name is actually "Sandys Bumpers". Sorry about that. I did hear back from them. Rechroming is $480.00 for each one.

They must like you more than me. Here's the quote they gave me which is $80 dollars higher. :angry

Left front end $180
Right front end $180
Front center section $140
Left rear end $180
Right rear end $180
Rear center section $180
Prices are good for solid cores in a street chrome finish.

bobs409

Administrator
"Street chrome finish" doesn't really sound good to me. ?? Especially for that kind of money. What say you guys??

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
"Street chrome finish" doesn't really sound good to me. ?? Especially for that kind of money. What say you guys??

I am not sure what 'street chrome' is but I agree that it doesn't sound good. I paid $350 per bumper to have mine straightened and rechromed. The shop only offered 'show quality' work. They came out spectacular. When I dropped them off they showed me some of the current work in the shop so I had an idea what I'd be getting. They exceeded my expectations. Here are some before and after pics. With luck I'll be able to get these bolted on later this week. :)

01 Bumpers Before.jpg 02 Bumpers Before.jpg 04 Bumpers After.jpg 05 Bumpers After.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
They must like you more than me. Here's the quote they gave me which is $80 dollars higher. :angry

Left front end $180
Right front end $180
Front center section $140
Left rear end $180
Right rear end $180
Rear center section $180
Prices are good for solid cores in a street chrome finish.

Not sure why your price was more. I believe you're doing over a '63 and mine is a '62. Not much if any difference to really matter. Maybe because I'm a repeat customer?? "Street chrome finish", does that mean the way the bumpers are presented to him, or the final product?? I've heard driver quality, show car quality, good and best, but never street chrome finish. Just wondering??

Was just out in the garage and took a good close look at my bumpers. Both are in good solid shape. No rust, dents or dings. Slight scratches and the chrome has lost its luster. Just for ha-ha's, tried to machine compound them but wasn't successful. They need to be rechromed. After reading some of these post, I'm starting to wonder a bit myself. I dread the thought of sending them half way across the country. Distance to me equates to rolling the dice. Not sure that is something I want to do. Oh well, guess I'll take a wait and see approach to it. Besides, have to get the motor back and in first, Carmine.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[QUOTE="Shake-N-Bake, post: 265785, member: 2467"i am not sure what 'street chrome' is but I agree that it doesn't sound good. I paid $350 per bumper to have mine straightened and rechromed. The shop only offered 'show quality' work. They came out spectacular. When I dropped them off they showed me some of the current work in the shop so I had an idea what I'd be getting. They exceeded my expectations. Here are some before and after pics. With luck I'll be able to get these bolted on later this week. :)

View attachment 33289 View attachment 33290 View attachment 33291 View attachment 33292[/QUOTE]

Are those your cores refinished?.....if so,very impressive

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Bob,
I am seeing our plating and polishing guy tomorrow morning to have my fiberglass ones redone. I will check if he still does steel bumpers. He is the best I know of for plating and polishing. He is the guy that did Brian's bumpers for the '61 also. He has done all of our plating and polishing on the race cars for over 20 years. It would be less than an hour drive for you to come to him. I was at Blue Mountain HS Saturday night, took me an hour to get home in the snow!
Steven

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Bob,
I am seeing our plating and polishing guy tomorrow morning to have my fiberglass ones redone. I will check if he still does steel bumpers. He is the best I know of for plating and polishing. He is the guy that did Brian's bumpers for the '61 also. He has done all of our plating and polishing on the race cars for over 20 years. It would be less than an hour drive for you to come to him. I was at Blue Mountain HS Saturday night, took me an hour to get home in the snow!
Steven

If you dont mind me asking,what does it cost to chrome plate the fiberglass bumpers.......?????

bobs409

Administrator
Bob,
Steven

Thanks a lot Steve, will be waiting for the verdict. :)

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Ok, I contacted him tonight. He said fiberglass bumpers are $350-$500 each, it depends on the condition when he starts. He does still do steel bumpers occasionally, he would look at them to give an exact figure. He is higher than the other "specialty bumper" plating shops, but his work is worth it. He has done work for Harley Davidson factory, and lots of other top quality stuff. He even did fiberglass bumpers for a car in a movie. Check him out on the web, www.alternativechrome.com
Steven

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would have thought the same, but there really aren't. Guess I'll have to check some more, Carmine.

I take that back. I checked further and there are a lot in NY, NJ and PA. Just have to find the right one however that works.