Front end springs

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the size (standard, heavy duty etc.) of the front coil springs if a swap from a 283 cu in to a 348 cu in was made?. This will be for a 58' Impala. Thanks in advance~

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Oh Ya!

I put SBC front springs on my all iron W and it lowered it about 3 inches. Drags the mufflers over Whoop de doos. Will be changing to stock used W springs soon as the weather gets cooler here.

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
I put a 348 where a 6 cylinder was, and the front end is actually pointing up slightly!

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Let me ask this a different way. Did GM put different (stiffer) springs in the front when they installed the 348's from the springs that were installed when a 283 was put in?? I don't have any desire to lower the car because it came with a 283 in it and I'm planning on putting a 348 in. I just didn't know if there was a difference in the springs.. that's all. Any one know? Thanks again.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Let me ask this a different way. Did GM put different (stiffer) springs in the front when they installed the 348's from the springs that were installed when a 283 was put in?? I don't have any desire to lower the car because it came with a 283 in it and I'm planning on putting a 348 in. I just didn't know if there was a difference in the springs.. that's all. Any one know? Thanks again.[/QUOTE

Of course they put a different spring, it weighed more. But probably not as stiff of a spring as some may think. Personally I think you would be fine , leaving the 283 springs in. Let's say there's 100 lb difference, no way that will lower it more than 1/2" or so. Unless the existing springs are really weak and junk. Good, stiff gas shocks would probably be the key to a decent ride with the small block springs.

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
I agree with Delivery, if you are gonna put new shocks on it, you probably will be just fine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
ride heighth

I put the HD "409" springs in my '62 when I changed out the 283 PG for a 409 four speed. Not sure of the difference in weight between that seemingly heavy powerglide and the aluminum cased 4 speed, but mine sits a little toooo high in the front right now. But the older springs were likely pretty whipped out...

In the misguided attempt to "inspect from outside the car" I once asked my lovely wife to get behind the wheel so I could see what it was like with a person in it. That was a bad idea! Never ask your wife to represent "ballast" in your muscle car, what was I thinking??? That's like truthfully answering the question "Do I look fat in this dress?" :)

I bet I can get some help and opinions (but little consolation) at Norwalk :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I agree with Delivery, if you are gonna put new shocks on it, you probably will be just fine.

Bob, What shocks would you recommend? I was leaning towards the KYB brand. But, if there is another type that would work better for this application.. any thoughts?

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
I bought the car assuming nothing. It had not run since 1993, so my friend and I changed out everything that moved or turned. In the process we also removed the 6 with 3 speed & overdrive and replaced it with a 250 horse 348 hooked to a Trans Am 4 speed. We used the Monroe Sens A Trac shocks. When I finally got to drive it moving under it's own power, it really drove like a new car - which is something considering no power steering and 235-60-15's all around. I could not be happier.