Gas/diesel usage poll

Your fuel usage since prices have gone up lately?

• I use much less than before

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I use a little less before

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I use the same as I always did

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I use a little more than before

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use alot more than before

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just to really Piss you off,,,, take a stab at what it costs to suck a barrel of crude from the ground !!

Any takers??

Alaska = ?

Saudi Arabia = ?

OK,, so no takers,,

Alaska ?? = $20 a barrel
Saudi? = $10 a barrel

So whos ripping who off ???
Other notes,,,
We have HUGE oil reserves in the Rockies, Colorado-Utah, greater then Saudi Arabia !! Shale oil that they now have a way to extract it cheaply with a steam process.
And a new refinery being built in North Dakota.
HUGE coal reserves in Montana that can be made into diesel very cheaply,,
Qatar is refining Natural Gas into diesel. They have the largest reserves in the world and it is relatively cheap to produce. It also has no sulfur in it.
All this should be good news in the next few years.

If the dollar rises and these yahoos in the stock market start pulling thier money out of oil and putting it back into other stocks prices will come down. They have to.
There is a glut of gas stocks on the world market and these prices can`t hold.
They will run out of storage space very soon !

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
OK,, so no takers,,

Alaska ?? = $20 a barrel
Saudi? = $10 a barrel

So whos ripping who off ???
Other notes,,,
We have HUGE oil reserves in the Rockies, Colorado-Utah, greater then Saudi Arabia !! Shale oil that they now have a way to extract it cheaply with a steam process.
And a new refinery being built in North Dakota.
HUGE coal reserves in Montana that can be made into diesel very cheaply,,
Qatar is refining Natural Gas into diesel. They have the largest reserves in the world and it is relatively cheap to produce. It also has no sulfur in it.
All this should be good news in the next few years.

If the dollar rises and these yahoos in the stock market start pulling thier money out of oil and putting it back into other stocks prices will come down. They have to.
There is a glut of gas stocks on the world market and these prices can`t hold.
They will run out of storage space very soon !

:eek:
DQ has gone conservative.:clap
Or he's just teasing.:dunno
But, I agree.:scratch

Not to mention progress on good old American ingenuity. Although this refers specifically to aviation fuel it also works for mogas.

May 05, 2008 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Swift Enterprises Ltd. has unveiled a new general aviation fuel that is less expensive, fuel-efficient and environmentally friendlier than any on the market, said co-founder John Rusek.

The general aviation industry includes all flights other than military and scheduled airline flights, both private and commercial. Data on Swift Enterprises’ 100 percent renewable general aviation fuel was presented April 28 at an annual meeting of an international committee that oversees aviation fuel standards. Unlike current biomass fuels, SwiftFuel© is comprised of synthetic hydrocarbons derived from biomass. Rusek said it can provide an effective range (distance between refueling) greater than petroleum while its projected cost is half the current petroleum manufacturing cost.

The innovation by Swift Enterprises’ propulsion and energy researchers meets or exceeds the standards for aviation fuel as verified by nationally recognized laboratories, said Rusek, a professor in Purdue University’s School of Astronautics and Aeronautics Engineering.

Swift Enterprises, founded seven years ago at Purdue Research Park, is led by Rusek and his wife, Mary, who have been involved in the field of energy more than two decades. The meeting was held by the Coordinating Research Council of ASTM International in Alexandria, Va. ASTM International is one of the largest voluntary standards development organizations in the world.

“Our fuel should not be confused with first-generation bio-fuels like E-85, which don't compete well right now with petroleum,” Rusek said. “For general aviation aircraft, range is paramount. Not only can our fuel seamlessly replace the aviation industry’s standard petroleum fuel, it can outperform it.”

The general aviation industry each year uses nearly 570 million gallons of 100LL aviation fuel, which is toxic, increasingly expensive and non-renewable. In contrast, testing has shown SwiftFuel© is 15 to 20 percent more fuel efficient, has no sulfur emissions, requires no stabilizers; has a 30-degree lower freezing point, introduces no new carbon emissions, and is lead-free, John Rusek said. In addition, he said, the components of this fuel can be formulated into a replacement for jet/turbine fuels.

The aviation industry has been the only form of transportation to use leaded fuel (tetraethyl lead) since an Environmental Protection Agency ban went into effect 30 years ago. However, that lead-free exemption will cease in less than two years.

“The general aviation industry, both domestic and foreign, is demanding a solution to this dilemma,” said Mary Rusek, Swift Enterprises’ president. “Our new, patented technology can provide the 1.8 million gallons per day required by the industry in the U.S. by utilizing only 5 percent of this country’s existing bio-fuel plant infrastructure.”

“John and Mary Rusek have devoted their lives to coming up with practical, renewable energy,” said Joseph B. Hornett, senior vice president, treasurer and chief operating officer of the Purdue Research Foundation, which manages the Purdue Research Park. “This fuel could change aviation history and be an economic boon for the state of Indiana and the Midwest, where we can abundantly grow the resources to produce SwiftFuel©.”

Swift Enterprises officials are in discussions with the Federal Aviation Administration, which has initiated a cooperative agreement with the company to evaluate the fuel.

Contacts

For Swift Enterprises Ltd.
Cynthia Sequin, media relations, 765-494-4192
765-413-6013 (mobile)
casequin@prf.org
OR
Swift Enterprises Ltd.
John and Mary Rusek, 765-464-8336
john.rusek@swiftenterprises.com
mary.rusek@swiftenterprises.com
http://www.swiftenterprises.com

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DQ, I think your numbers are high, but no recent facts to back that up. There is an oil field called Hibernia off Nfld- east coast Canada. Its 200 or more miles offshore in fairly deep water. When it was being built back in the early 90's they estimated it would cost US$8 a barrel to produce oil there. At the time oil was US$12. It is a large well and has been producing steadily since startup in 97 (?). Total reserves doubled from the time it was built until now and Exxon and the other owners are very happy with it. They needed govt backing to get it started, too risky, now they are bellyaching about the govt getting so much money.

This was one of the most expensive wells built, it is a big blob of concrete sitting on the ocean bottom, built to withstand both hurricanes and iceburgs.

Don

jr.W

Well Known Member
Will be using a lot less shortly with the prices the way they are. Will be to work
and back only if they keep going.

oldskydog what are they making it out of?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
From the Swiftfuels website:
http://www.swiftenterprises.com/

Technology Benefits.
Currently the Swift Fuels show a reduction in emissions by 15% vs. the current petroleum products. Add to that the extended range and you will see a 25% reduction in emissions from this technology.

Swift Fuels shows a 10-15% increase in mileage in a side by side test against current petroleum products.
(click for current findings)

Swift Fuels are a non corrosive material vs. petroleum products have oxygenated materials that lead to rust and excessive wear and tear on internal combustion engines.

Swift Fuels do not need stabilizers due to a temperature or time variants in storage, i.e. Swift fuels will be unaffected by extended periods of storage or temperatures vs. petroleum that will gum up engines from extended time in storage or changes in temperature.
(click for well-to-pump data)

The world market will see little impact or cost to their infrastructure thanks to the lack changes required in distribution facilities. The same pumps and tanks can be used for end user sales.

There will be no need for a Flex Fuel Vehicle and, in return, the savings passed on to the end user will positively affect the economy in other industries at $35,000 per un-needed sale.
(click for well-to-wheel data)

The increased need of bio material will also increase the need for green space farming and hence reduce the value of taxes. This is due to a cut in tax money paid as subsidies to the farmer for not farming due to the sluggish agriculture markets. Tie this to the need for increased sales of Agriculture equipment as well as more employees for the manufacturing and agriculture industries and the benefits are clear. Farmers will see multiple markets to sell their products to as well as farm waste such as unsuitable staples that do not pass quality assurance levels or staple waste such as corn stock or saw dust.

Swift Fuels means an independence from Oil and from unpopular foreign policy.

Swift Fuels mean more jobs due to the fact that we will need to maintain our own fuel production vs. having Central and South America doing it for us.

Swift Fuels mean a greener future with far less pollution.

Current Global Petroleum Outlook

Oil Reserves, both known and speculated by federal and academic studies point to the year 2040 as the end of all oil production.

While the possibility of short term shortages of refined gasoline or diesel product exists, depending on domestic refining capacity relative to domestic petroleum demand, there is not a strong basis to anticipate sustained global shortages of crude oil in the next 25 year (or more) time frame.

America gains little, in terms of its current-account balance, even from the imports that oil exporters do buy. It now accounts for only 8% of OPEC countries' total imports; the European Union has 32%. So even if the exporters spent all their extra revenue, America's current-account deficit would increase as oil prices rise. This partly explains why in recent years the European Union's trade balance with the oil exporters has barely changed even as America's deficit has grown sharply.

It is significant that the preponderant fraction (51.1%) of crude oil and refined oil products imported into the U.S. derives from the (remainder) of the American continent (South and Central America, Mexico, and Canada). West and North Africa come second with a total of 19.1% of U.S. oil imports, and the Middle East, while it is the world’s major oil supplier to be sure, it is third in importance as a U.S. supplier, accounting for 18% of U.S. oil imports.

These data indicate that under the assumption that U.S. and non-Middle-Eastern production could be held (approximately) constant, it would suffice to decrease U.S. fossil-fuel consumption by 12%, at present, for the U.S. to be in a position to wean itself free from Middle East oil, in the short term, should the need arise. As discussed earlier, however, the world fungibles of oil through the world oil Supply markets would respond to this decrease by adjusting the supply-demand balance. Such a goal might be achieved without deleterious effects to the U.S. economy by any of a number of means in combination. This would produce, at least temporarily, a world-wide excess production capacity and a decrease in oil prices, improving both the national economy and the national defense posture.

World and US DemandRegarding oil prices, it’s worth noting that they are not at historically high levels when adjusted for inflation. As the chart on this page indicates, prices around the 1980 time period peaked at $36/bbl in then-year money, corresponding to FY05 $85/bbl. The rapid decrease in pricing following that peak and the data depicted in the figures on page 6 can only induce a conservative stance in the oil industry, discouraging investments that require that the present high prices must be sustained to be justified. Finally, adding to the general caveat of a foggy future, vis-à-vis instability in the Middle East, consequences on world production from inefficiencies and damage from the rise of (most) national oil companies, and the consequences of poor governance and hostility towards the U.S. in many of the world’s oil-producing nations, strongly argue for conservation.

Reference: JASON Reports

bobs409

Administrator
I paid $3.73 today which is the highest I've ever paid in my life for 87 octane. (and I realize, some of you probably think that's a deal considering what some area's are!)

$40.00 dollars got me 1/2 a tank of gas!

Something is not going to bend but rather break! Eventually, alot of things are just going to come to a stop in this country, it has too! Starting with the independant truckers. And since they haul just about everything we use, I'd say we're in for some rough times ahead.

Did you guys know that the USPS increased everything again this week? I'm sure you heard about the 1 cent increase for stamps but the news I watched failed to mention that everything else went up again and not by a penny either! A package I mailed today would have cost $4.80 if it was shipped last week, ended up costing me $7.96 today! Since this item was sold a few days ago (I sell on ebay) I absorbed the cost myself rather than asking the buyer to make up the difference. Actually, I think ebay's calculator might be screwed up again too! :mad:

The same old excuse for USPS, the increase in gas prices. Well who is going to help us cover our fuel costs? All a business has to do is raise they're cost but our money isn't being increased. We have to buy gas too but in addition, pay more for everything we do or use!

I'm about ready to say the hell with it all and hibernate for a while. Cut my expenses to a minimum where possible and stick close to home.

Sorry for the rant. I just got screwed in shipping cost for an order I recieved today for some truck parts I bought and I'm not all "sunshine & lollipops" right now. :cuss

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with you Bob, but I think it is the cost of diesel that will eventually break our backs. Everything travels by truck. Can't understand why there is not more of a public outcry about it. All prices must go up because of the transportation costs. . But I guess the cost of gasoline hurts the average citizen the most and they don't quite realize what is coming.

bobs409

Administrator
Your right Ronnie, I should have used the word fuel. Diesel cost is way out there! :eek:

I don't own anything that uses it and I'm glad of that!

gearhead409

Well Known Member
$143 to gas up my shop truck today! gas 3.999 diesel 4.43 today here in ohio. and i get to do this again next week ( that's if the price hasn't went up again next week!) my wife has been using over a $100 a week in her car too, gee this dosn't leave much to buy popcorn and crackerjacks or go to the movies anymore and maybe no cruisin, ( OH NO!!!)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Last night I sat at the entrance of our drag strip trying to sell my set of World Products Alum SBC heads (anyone looking for a good set?) and was reading the Jegs catalog when it hit me that the ZO6 gets 28+ MPG !!!

This being the case, why doesn`t Chevrolet put these LS7`s rated at over 500 HP in every truck and V8 car they sell !!!:D

Man,,, could this be fun, or what ??!!:eek:

So, beyond that ,, If they can get that kind of milage with a HP engine it would seem they, Chevy, have the technogy to to get that kind of milage with other V8`s.

So why do so many cars they sell have the under powered gas sucking V6 ? (other car makers included)

The little 4 banger they use in the HHR gets great milage and has plenty of zip but stll only rates close to the LS7 for MPG.
Makes one think don`t it ??? :dunno

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Short commutes

I am relatively lucky in that I work from home a lot, and my office on campus is about one mile away. My wife works about a mile the other direction. So we don't put on too many miles related to work.

I do fire up one or both of the 409 cars most every day and take them for short rides. I bet a lot of my gas consumption goes there :).

I also run back and forth to Lowe's and various hardware stores several times a week, and have taken to combining tasks in a single trip. It does bug me to have to go all the way across town just to get a few items, mostly the time not the gas.

On Sundays I generally take a longer ride in one of the vehicles, sometimes more than an hour. I never have a destination, just drive around looking at landscapes and architecture. I take one of the hot rods, 'cause the wifey doesn't enjoy crusing much at all :(.

I would have to say that I haven't cut back in terms of driving all that much, but then my baseline is pretty low compared to those who have longer commutes.

Enjoy!
TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I almost felt guilty about replying that my usage was the same as ever, but I am pretty much in the same situation as Tom K...we basically go to work (13 miles or so) and home, and try to combine other trips more to save time than gas.

My wife and I used to drive together more ( we work at the same place) but our schedules vary too much, and we don't always agree on driving techniques (how's that for diplomatic). So we are better off in different vehicles.

I'd like to ride my Harley more, but we went from a cool spring to 105 in a week and I am a fair-weather rider!

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'll take that compliment!

DQ, c'mon down out of that perpetual washing machine up there and get dried out. It's like the grape to raisin syndrome.

Once it hits triple digits, I either head for the coast or the Sierras, then sneak home in the morning. In any case, I get off the asphalt early in the day.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Diesel Prices

:grumble:well guys, down under we're paying $1.70 per litre AUD for diesel and $1.50 per litre for unleaded. our imperial gallon is 4.5 litres. thats $ 6.75 AUD per imperial gallon or $ 5.06 AUD per US gallon or $ 5.38 a gallon.
costs me over a $100.00 bucks to fill my Bel Air Coupe.

10 years ago we were paying $ 0.95 a litre and oil was $ 11.00 bucks a barrel
today we're paying $ 1.50 a litre and oil is $ 118.00 bucks a barrel. even taken inflation into account, these numbers don't quite add up.:doh:dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll take that compliment!

DQ, c'mon down out of that perpetual washing machine up there and get dried out. It's like the grape to raisin syndrome.

Once it hits triple digits, I either head for the coast or the Sierras, then sneak home in the morning. In any case, I get off the asphalt early in the day.

:roll:D ,, But it`s dry rain !!!! >)))))))*> :roll:D

Should be 95* here today,,, headin` to the beach on the bikes for the weekend,,, a cool 85* there !!!:cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I saw this one on another site...

Attachments

• 0%20A%203%20CARS.jpg
    0%20A%203%20CARS.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 39