got a new 409, what to put in?

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
I've got another 409 coming in the mail. and I'm looking for suggestions. what should i put it in? i need to figure what type of car to use it in so i can decide how to build the engine. i've got a 348 tripower in my 55 chevy convertible. I've got nothing against the X frame cars, i just like seeing "w"'s in other cars.so what have you guys installed them in or seen them installed in? pics if you have them please. 63/64 vette? 57 chevy sedan delivery? (two of my favorite cars)
thanks
scotty t
(formerly known as Goatboy)

Steel body, 39 to 42 Willys coupe. Aluminum heads, roller cam, proper headers, manual transmission.
If not that...
a 58-64 Chevrolet or Canadian Pontiac full size

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
i can guarantee it won't go in a nash metro or a bug! my two favorite cars are a mid year vette and a 57 chevy. i've never had either one yet. so those two are tops on my list. i'm probably going to sell two of my cars so i should be able to step up a little and buy something special (to me). the 409 deal kind of fell into my lap and threw a curve ball at me.now i need to consider a car that will suit a big "W" i think a 63 or 64 vette would be killer with a 409.some thing might have been done before the 396/427 came out. i posted a pic here a while back of a 50's vette with a "W". it was pretty neat.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Probably some bright Spark in a suit, who rides a push bike to work, trying to make a statement.

They should have called it the Chevy GOOF, Get Off Our Freeway.

They should have called it the Chevy GOOF, Get Off Our Freeway.

and so it shall be

HEEE HEEE that's great, Grub:deal

Sorry Scotty...
on topic
I think when deciding where to install any "intersting" engine, a fundamental rule can be followed...
Don't backdate engineering / technology.
Most enthusiasts will agree, that when compared to 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's, even early 70's ( with the exception of world class exotics ).... contemporary vehicle styling / construction, is second rate at best. Whereas in many cases ( if not most ), the mechanical efficiency of the engines and drivelines, has advanced.
What I'm saying, is swapping a bigger and / or more efficient engine into an older car, makes COMPLETE sense, and has been done since the first cars. However, it makes no sense to take an intersting, but dated powerplant, and install it in a newer vehicle.
It would be like taking a 48 Ford flathead V8, and installing it in a 63 Galaxie. sure, it's an intersting engine, and a nice car.... but a pretty silly thing to do.
If a person is determined to not install a 348/409 in an originall-equipment-type car..... there are still many intersting vehicles to put it in. To me, of course, the Willys is the holy grail.

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
i was hoping you guys would post a bunch of awesome pics with w's in 30's 40's 50's and early 60's cars/trucks. i've saved a bunch of pics of them in model A's 32's etc. i think they're a perfect match for tri five chevy's. maybe a 36 chevy truck? i need some inspiration :D. Aubrey i agree with you on the newer engine/older car concept. i need to decide what i'm going to sell and get it done. it's time for a change in the garage! a 62 bubbletop would be awesome. whats a decent one of those cost nowadays? my old 61 belair bubble is still untouched since i sold years ago, maybe i'll hit him up when i get something sold. i'm sure you can tell i'm all over the board on this issue:bang

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
There is (perhaps was - may have got lost in the upgrade) a thread here that a bunch of us added just such photos of 409 powered rods and customs. Perhaps Bob can pull that rabbit out of his hat?

Also, over on the H.A.M.B. site, search my nickname there (wrench409) for some cool 409 info - much of which is also here as well.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can post a crappy pic of my 409 powered '37 Chev truck, or part of it. That is one of my back-burner projects right now. (Translated: bit off way more than I want to chew sometimes!!!)

It has a Heidt front end, turbo 350, 9" F**d rear end and a Hank's bed. I might put that engine in my '63 Nova or build another W for it...who knows??? I am behind on all of them. I watch these project reports from some of these guys and I am in awe.

Aubrey's right, of course. Some kind of "phantom" build makes the most sense. A Vette, Nova, maybe an early Chevelle, Corvair??? Or a truck. Good luck!

Attachments

• 007b.jpg
    007b.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0