got a new 409, what to put in?

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I have to agree on the backward engineering concept. A "W" motor can not go in anything newer than 64. Only exception is a 65 chevy.

The Willys are best with a early hemi (392). I'm not a mopar guy, but that combo is just, right. Even the 426 is wrong.

I purchased my 59 tripower 348 from an oldtimer who put the motor in his 31 model A in 1960...came straight from a wrecking yard, from a banged up Impala. That's the way it was done, and should be done...

The "W" was too heavy for the early vette, and that was GM's reasoning, but with the aluminum parts available.....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A lot of people (not Corvette enthusiasts though) think a 1963 Corvette would look great with a 409 powering it. At Thompson this year we saw a nice race version of the '63 Split Window that was for sale, and several of us 409 guys talked about how neat it would be to put the two together (a W in a '63 Vette). We understand that Zora Duntov was totally against this with GM, but that was 50 years ago :).

I always fancied recreating the 1963 Grand Sport (there are kits out there) on a more modern Corvette frame powered by a 409. Have rolling frame from a mid-70s Vette and several 409s, but that project is not even close to my radar screen...

I'd go back and re-purchase that 1961 BA Sport Coupe, those are quite rare (as are the 1962s).

Good luck!
TomK

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've got another 409 coming in the mail. and I'm looking for suggestions. what should i put it in? i need to figure what type of car to use it in so i can decide how to build the engine. i've got a 348 tripower in my 55 chevy convertible. I've got nothing against the X frame cars, i just like seeing "w"'s in other cars.so what have you guys installed them in or seen them installed in? pics if you have them please. 63/64 vette? 57 chevy sedan delivery? (two of my favorite cars)
thanks
scotty t
(formerly known as Goatboy)

I've got my 348 which grew to 434 cubes, in my '56 Chevy 2d gasser wagon. Its different and looks real nice sitting there. Hope to post some pics someday soon.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The big block 427's and 454"s don't weigh much different than the 409, so a split window with a 409 would be neat.
Don

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Leo,I can tell you for certain they [6 cyls.] are heavier,I've had to either pull and rebuild/replace a number of them in my job as a mechanic!!!!![Yea,I'm telling my age]:laughI'll take a v8 any day!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just pulled a 235 with an iron glide, figured they weighed close to 1000lbs, complete top to bottom, including the grit and grime.

Don

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
thanks for the suggestions guys, now i think ill lurk and study up on the various build methods until i sell something and figure out what i'm going to buy.

65FO-OH-9

Mid Engine Early Corvair Coupe. Make it a wide-body! LOL! I have a friend that has an old 350 in the back of one & it's AWESOME!

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
I have a 1985 x11 Citation rust free that you can horse shoe that big W in. Black,loaded and rust free. Also, it would be cool in a Corvair p/u! A guy had one on Graigslist with a 421 mid engine style in the Corvair p/u.