Head Gasket Question

BA-Man61

Does anyone have any pros/cons on using hi-tach (spelling?) or copper gasket spray on head gaskets? Or am I better off installing them dry? I'm using Victor composite type head gaskets.

Thanks guys!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
use the spray

Fel Pro composite requires the coating on the metal side. I used copper spray. What do the instructions say about it?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I use Permatex around all water passages and all head bolts that go into water passages.I,ve used spray and I've had slight leaks.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is no need to spray it on the new style composit gaskets, It will keep them from sealing.

Use the spray on copper and metal gaskets only !!! ,,dq

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
no goo needed

I used the Victor composite gaskets and put them on using no sealant. Seems to be working OK so far, but haven't tested it under duress yet.

Best,
TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Composite gaskets

Just remember, before you go to the machine shop, decide what gasket you will be using. Steel gaskets end up compressed to .021" and the composite will be .041" thick! Try to keep your quench around .035" to .040". I use "Permatex copper coat" on the steel and nothing with the composite gaskets.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Fel Pro comp

Fel Pro Composite is half metal and requires a sealer on the metal side. I talked to Federal Mogul (Fel Pro) a while back and they rocommended Spray copper sealer on the metal side only. There was some question in my mind about which side of the gasket goes up. Pretty sure thinking back it was blue side up, metal with sealer down to the block. Cooling system sealer in the system right at start up.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If I'm not mistaking Lamar Walden said he liked to spray metal head gaskets with aluminum paint immediately before installing them.

munger345

Back in the good old days, [60's] all I ever used was Steel gaskets [GM] sprayed with aluminum paint just before assy. Raced many years and never had a gasket problem.

Eldon