Help tuning Tri power set-up

BISCAYNE61

I just got this tri power set up hooked up and I cant get the damn thing to run worth a crap. The set up is a 350 with a mild cam, edelbrock manifold, stromberg ww carbs coverted for tri power outboards r just dumps. 110 gph fuel pump , stock points type dist,super stock coil.
I the car idles fine but stumbles when you get on the gas, and thats before the outboards even kick in. when you open it up and all three carbs kick in it falls on its face. When you turn off ignition car wants to keep running. I have increased/decreased timing adjusted the air fuel mixture but It is still rich.
I dont know if its the vacum advance, the ignition system isnt enough(but they didnt have msd in the 60's and guys ran these set ups), or to much fuel. I just cant beleive that it can be so rich just running on the center 2 brl. Its fouling the plugs and 2 carbs arent even kicking in?? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated:bang

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I just got this tri power set up hooked up and I cant get the damn thing to run worth a crap. The set up is a 350 with a mild cam, edelbrock manifold, stromberg ww carbs coverted for tri power outboards r just dumps. 110 gph fuel pump , stock points type dist,super stock coil.
I the car idles fine but stumbles when you get on the gas, and thats before the outboards even kick in. when you open it up and all three carbs kick in it falls on its face. When you turn off ignition car wants to keep running. I have increased/decreased timing adjusted the air fuel mixture but It is still rich.
I dont know if its the vacum advance, the ignition system isnt enough(but they didnt have msd in the 60's and guys ran these set ups), or to much fuel. I just cant beleive that it can be so rich just running on the center 2 brl. Its fouling the plugs and 2 carbs arent even kicking in?? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated:bang

Without looking at the carbs I would say that the outboard carbs are not closing alll the way causing a huge vacuum leak. To compensate for the leak you have to have the throttle blades cracked past the idle circut on the primary carb causing the engine to idle on the transition or high speed circut and thus causing the rich condition. If you are not familier with the working of the three two setup they can be your worst nitemare! If you are familier with them they are quite simple to tune. Timing can be an issue also with tip in. Your local tech can cause more problems then answers to further piss you off and put you off the three two setup. Finding someone the really understands setup is the key! I would love to get my hands on these carbs. Engine "running on" is a symptom of the throttle blades being open to far at idle plus possable timing issues. You need to look at fuel pressure also!