Help with option list

Triffid

Where can I find a option list for a 1962 BelAir sports coupe?... Also a list of Delete options... Thanks !!

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil,
Was looking at the link and have a question. On page 18 it states body/"unit" is specific to each plant. Then it says "starting unit number --- 100001 and up at each assembly plant regardless of series" I realize this info is for 1962, however.
My cars cowl tag is STYLE 63 - 1611 BODY KC 1210 (The build date is 12D)
So, its a 63 Belair 2 door sedan built at Kansas City, the last week of December. Is it the 1210th Belair built at KC? Or according the the link I would interpret it as being the 1210th full size Chevy @ the KC plant. Very Interesting! Being the "oldskydog" you are I would guess you have this same type of link for 63 models also?
Years ago I collected cowl tag data from 62 bubble tops and it puzzled me that cars built late in the year at the same plant had a low sequential numbers. Like it was the 1210th of that particular body style (Belair sports coupe) because they had to have made more than 1210 full size cars by that late of a date or even just Belairs period. This contradicts what the link says according to my interpretation ?????????????
Jeff

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The Body numbers on the cowl tag are for the number of bodies of that style built at the Fisher plant, but the VIN sequence number started at 100001 for the total number of cars built at the Chevrolet plant where the car was completed, regardless of body number. Cecil has posted a link to the site with the most useful info for the 61-63 years, but if you post a post a photo of the cowl tag, I'll decode the whole thing.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Body numbers on the cowl tag are for the number of bodies of that style built at the Fisher plant, but the VIN sequence number started at 100001 for the total number of cars built at the Chevrolet plant where the car was completed, regardless of body number. Cecil has posted a link to the site with the most useful info for the 61-63 years, but if you post a post a photo of the cowl tag, I'll decode the whole thing.
So I have the 1210th Belair in general or the 1210th Belair 2 door sedan built at KC in 63?
Please decode in full. 872 is red interior, the 5? 900 is black paint, the A? & that 24C & AO2 is tinted windshield.
After some more digging I am confused. I have the "1963 Chevrolet Owner Protection Plan" booklet that came with the car.
Inside on page 2 it has original purchasers name, delivery date of 1/2/63 & vin 31511K132569. This vin matches the tag on the door post.
BUT the cowl tag says 1611. Is this a factory boo boo????????????
If this car was built the last week of December & sold January 2, the paint probably wasn't dry yet!
Thanks
Jeff
1963 cowl tag.jpg

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
No such thing as ''Delete'' options,the car either had optional equipment such as power steering,brakes,radio,heater,ect.,or it didn't.
But But But But Mr Don what about the many parking lot shows we have seen where a GM has the “original” window sticker with a heater or radio optional delete plate with a RPO code to substantiate it!
Robert

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is the link to GM Heritage Center 1963 Chevrolet. If you scroll down to the Regular Production Options, you will see "less heater" option "C48" available on "all" models. The heater is the only one I can see that can be "deleted".

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
So I have the 1210th Belair in general or the 1210th Belair 2 door sedan built at KC in 63?
Please decode in full. 872 is red interior, the 5? 900 is black paint, the A? & that 24C & AO2 is tinted windshield.
After some more digging I am confused. I have the "1963 Chevrolet Owner Protection Plan" booklet that came with the car.
Inside on page 2 it has original purchasers name, delivery date of 1/2/63 & vin 31511K132569. This vin matches the tag on the door post.
BUT the cowl tag says 1611. Is this a factory boo boo????????????
If this car was built the last week of December & sold January 2, the paint probably wasn't dry yet!
Thanks
Jeff
View attachment 106799
This is a tuxedo black 2-door Belair sedan (the 1210th 2-door Belair) built at Kansas City in the 4th week December 62 (Dec 24th - Christmas eve) with red interior (the 5 code is the broadcast sheet code for red interior) and tinted windshield. RPO codes were used on Arlington, Framingham, Kansas City, Janesville and St Louis cars, but Janesville and St Louis only used RPO codes on the ACC line up until the end of the 3rd week of October 62, and after this they used single digit codes, whereas BT, FR and KC used RPO ACC codes for the entire 63 model year. 1963 was the last year that Fisher plants used non-standardized ACC codes and all plants used standardized ACC codes from 64 onwards. The cowl tag always used the style code for a V8 even if the car was eventually going to have an L6 in it. The A after the paint code used to mean that the car was single tone, but I've seen the same A after two-tone cars built at Kansas City, so I haven't figured out why they stamped the A. The VIN confirms that this was an L6 and was the 32,569th car to be built at KC in the 63 model year.

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
THANK YOU Carl. What does the 24C mean? Interesting all cars have V8 cowl tags. Did GM do this on all Chevy's in this era?
Where would the build sheet be located in the car if there is one?
Thanks again Carl!

Reactions: 327

Triffid

I've seen museum cars with side stickers that show "102A Heater Delete -$72.00"... The same car had a radio and cigar lighter delete but it didn't show on the window sticker???... Can anyone help with finding these delete code... This was on a 1962 Bel Air Sports Coupe 409/409/4 speed car... Thanks!!

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
THANK YOU Carl. What does the 24C mean? Interesting all cars have V8 cowl tags. Did GM do this on all Chevy's in this era?
Where would the build sheet be located in the car if there is one?
Thanks again Carl!
The 24C is the KC date code and the 24 is the day of the month, in this case Dec 24th. I'm not sure about the C code, but every KC tag I've got for 61-63 has a letter code after the day, the most common is C, but I've also recorded a couple of cars with A, B, W and one had RM after the date code which makes me think it might be the stamp guys initials, so maybe the guy who usually stamped the tags had a name that started with C (maybe Carl?) and occasionally other guys did this job and stamped their initials, but this is pure speculation. Van Nuys in 61-63 did the same thing with day codes, but they stamped this day code at the start of the ACC line from mid year 61 and all through 62, then swapped to stamping the day code at the end of the ACC line in 63. Crazy stamping guys...

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I've seen museum cars with side stickers that show "102A Heater Delete -$72.00"... The same car had a radio and cigar lighter delete but it didn't show on the window sticker???... Can anyone help with finding these delete code... This was on a 1962 Bel Air Sports Coupe 409/409/4 speed car... Thanks!!
The "delete" codes can only be used where a certain model has a standard option, which was allowed to be deleted. The most common is a heater delete (code RPO 610 in 1962) which was most commonly deleted from race cars ordered from the factory. I've seen this code and the $72 credit on 62 race cars like the Zintsmaster car. Other delete codes in later model cars (after 64) include seat belt delete A62 and emission control delete K72. There are several myths about "delete options" in the late 50's and early 60's era, and it's quite common to see cars where the owner claims that the car is a rare "radio delete" model, but the radio was an optional extra, so it's not deleted from the car, it simply wasn't ordered with one or fitted with one by the dealer or at some point later in it's life.

I've seen a list of delete codes, but most of them relate to export cars, like battery delete, or radiator delete, which relates to cars that were exported to countries with agreements to supply these items from local manufacture suppliers.

p.s. I've seen window stickers with "102A HEATER DELETION -72 CR" and they were reproduction window stickers. FOA 102 is the code for a signal seeking Corvette radio in 62, not heater delete, and Chevrolet did not use the term "heater deletion", the correct term is "LESS HEATER"

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That was a nice Christmas present for Otto Heck of Paola Kansas and he probably never thought I would know! I can't believe the plant was working Christmas eve. Wonder it wasn't a dud. Did they not have unions back then? I'm sure he was proud of it when he got it January 2
Jeff