Help with transmission selection

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:coffee: I need to decide what kind of transmission to run in my 409 powered 55 Chevy, race only. It will most likely be powered by the 476 stroker from my Impala at least for now. I will add a tunnel ram and larger headers etc. I'm guessing at about 550hp @ 5900rpm. The car should weigh about 3,000 lbs.
Here's a sample of some adds from my area, they are in Canadian dollars.

#1... "Turbo 400 with 4500 Dayco stall converter, used two weekends, new, $1,000"
This sounds like a stock 400. I wonder if it would last? Is this stall speed about right or a bit too high?

#2... "2 speed glide race trans with brake... all TCI heavy duty internals, built to handle 700hp totaly fresh, no runs. $1450
Would the gide be the most consistant for bracket racing?

#3... "Doug Nash 5 speed crash box with Long vertical gate shifter and race clutch. Lakewood scatershield and block protector plate also available $2150"
The cool factor on this would be right off the scale but is it strong and what about consistancy? Am I right thinking that this setup would give me the lowest et?

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i think we have all wrestled with this decision.

the T400 would be indestructable in the power to weight class you describe,
all it would need is a hardened sprag and race, freshened with good frictions and valve body of your choice. full manual or transbrake setup.
another plus to the t400........it's the same length as the superT10, Gforce and jerico. should you switch, the driveshaft will already work.

Cool Factor? the first time you have the engine revved on the 2step and let go of the transbrake button, it'll leave like a rocket. (which is cool to me)

again, with the power to weight you describe,
I hate the thought, but the glide would be faster, quicker, and easier on tires.
and you would not need a custom case and internals superglide ($4500 US)
cool factor of a glide.........even with a brake.......cant find the smilie for yawn.

i would pass on the NASH, where will you get parts for it? AND YOU WILL NEED PARTS.
if you use a stick, go with a Gforce or Jerico ( BIG$$$$$)

I lost lots of sleep over this situation for my own car. i'm guessing it will weigh in at #3500 and i know for a fact the power starts at 906. and with a fogger system, i figure 1300+
I went with the T400

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got two T400,one is a stock one in my 57 and a race one for my Camaro.I've had no problems with either one.If you want to be consistant go with an electric shifter that is RPM Activated

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, We use a Glide with a brake in our Chevy II. 4,500 rpm stall. The glide is the most popular for bracket racing , at least in this area. Even the heavier cars run them here. Quicker than a turbo ? I dont know, but you gotta figure more consistant with 2 speeds as opposed to 3. You are gonna have plenty of wow factor, no matter which trans. you select, so why not go with the one that gives you the most chance of winning. No matter what you choose, the 55 is gonna provide a lot of fun. Good luck with it.

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
Bash The Nash

Jim
I finaly had the chance to drive my friends 56 Chevy 210 last weekend with a Doug nash. It is the coolest thing I have ever driven. The hardest thing to get used to is keeping the gas pedal nailed to the floor while shifting. Just brush the clutch and grab the gear. I was quite supprised at how effortless the shifter moves while shifting. There are no detent springs in the sliders. That means there is no notchy feeling as the trans goes into gear,it just slides in. Mr Nash claimed that with a good shifter the DNE race 5 speed could be shifted in 5/100 of a second.
Liberty sells parts for the Doug Nash. If you break a gear I think it is $75 to fix a gear and $55 for a new slider.
If you like delay boxes, throttle stops, throtle controlers, electric shifters, and trans brakes then go automatic. That way you can let go of the button and grab your coffee and sip it while you make a pass.
If you like the idea of reving that stroker to 4500 and dumping the clutch, winding it out and lightly touching the clutch and pulling the lever through 4 or 5 gears all within 10.7 seconds than BASH A NASH.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
standard vs. Auto

The Jerico is just as nice shifting. Can't miss a gear. At least not yet! I do know that some of the nostalgia classes or orgainizations don't want 5 speeds. I know some running, but nothing has ever been said about it, so doubt they care that much. Drove a powerglide equiped Chevelle, seemed like forever getting to the finish line, and it ran 11.20. My 63 seems like it is there before you can blink an eye, and it's high 11s. Working that 4 speed is just a dream. You are driving, not riding. I know they say they are not as consistant, but it sure seems to be darned close.
Just my opinion.

Fred

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Doug Nash

The jerico is the way to go if your budget can handle it !!!!!!!!!

Don't be discouraged by parts for a Nash, There are lots of them out there under work benches. Just put a wanted ad on Racingjunk & you'll see what i mean.

I just sold all my super t-10 stuff just lately , guy called me & was very happy to get it.

A freind of mine has a pile of Nash stuff !!!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tranny

Hey Jim

4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed.............:D

remember Aubrey's videos.................:bow

are you out for serious racing or some wow factor and major FUN...:scratch

repeat after me......4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed...:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

bj:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
bjburnout said:
Hey Jim

4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed.............:D

remember Aubrey's videos.................:bow

are you out for serious racing or some wow factor and major FUN...:scratch

repeat after me......4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed...:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

bj:cheers

:evil :yawn: Heee heeeee

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes racing a 4 or 5 speed is fun and if you are still using a T-10 or a Muncie, then you also will have a challenge shifting it. I am amazed that you die hard Super Stockers would even think about using new technology like a Jerico or G-force. My God that is almost like running an automatic.:roll :roll I do take exception :cuss to the "get off the button and grab your coffee and sip it while you make a pass", First at 138 mph you'd be wearing your coffee, not sipping it and second you are hammered so hard in your seat as you explode off the line you can't reach the coffee, let alone take your hand off the wheel! Yes a 4 speed is a lot of fun but 9.51 @ 138 is also racing and a huge rush even with a powerglide!!!! If you don't think so, take my dragster for a ride sometime but bring your own T.P.:roll :roll or for you seniors , wear your depends.

Tony

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Quick ride

Tony, never having driven one, I'll have to take your word for it. I'll bet it is a rush, though. Now I have to figure out whether it would be the TP or depends for me.:roll

Fred

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Stick vs. Auto.

Jim,
Just my opinion, but the auto. doesn't compare to a stick!!! I drove Wully Bully for three seasons with a TH400, with a 5500 stall converter, and a trans brake, and at first it was really cool, by the end it was boring. I bought an old Doug Nash, put a good clutch in front of it, and a Long shifter on it, and I was smiling ear to ear on every pass!! The car picked up 4 tenths, and 6 mph going from auto to stick! The downsides of the Nash, I have a box of broken parts from my trip to Kentucky. Broke 2nd & 3rd gear, both main shaft and cluster shaft, and the 3/4 shift arm. We had just serviced the trans in spring, spent @ $450. on parts from Liberty (gears range fron $125-$175). If I drive the car next year, it will have a G-force in it. One last thing, when Carl drove the sedan, with the Jerico (that Fred now has) he could run an entire day within .07 second, if all other elements were consistent!
Steven

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Steve, What do you mean " if I drive next year"? That dont sound good. We need all the 409 race cars we can get. We are planning a trip to Norwalk in 2006 so to meet all the guys. Figured that would be a perfect time to match race Wully Bully. Yea, I know you recently ran 9.65, and I dont intend to tow over 1,000 miles to lose. Im more concerned with Tonys 9.51. That will push us to the limit. A Chevy II with a glide against a dragster with a glide, just as it should be. I just hop the 8 second crowd will stay away. And with all due respect to Freds Jerico, .07 , best to worse, wont cut it for weekly bracket racing. That is like night and day. . Grease up that new G - Force and will see you in the summer.

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Cars and Transmissions

Ronnie,
At this point, we have to work out a few details with the cars, and I have some responsibilities with our family business and our family that need addressing, before I buy another transmission for Wully Bully. And to clarify, Carl ran the 9.65 with Wully Bully II, which is the hardtop roof that weighs almost 3400 lbs, my best was 10.32, with Wully Bully, the sedan roof, that weighs almost 3800 lbs. Jim, if you are interested in a Doug Nash, I will sell you the remains for mine, will need about $600. in new gears to make it perfect, I have some extra parts also. PM me if anybody is interested.
Steven

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Steve, I thought I could goad you into a little trash-talking. Its been a little slow on the forum lately. I meant it all in good fun. I do hope you and or Carl can come to Norwalk with or without a car. Would like to meet you and Carl as well as all the other members. Hope you get things worked out so Wully Bully can have its new trans.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I too thought my thread would have spurred a little trash talking excitement on this site. If the group goes back to Norwalk, I don't think they will let me run with you guys and I sure don't want to make the trip just to be asked to leave. That's why I thought that we can get together at one of the other mentioned tracks. The one that Fred talked about sounded like a great place to meet and race. Bonnie and I will go just about anywhere East of the Rockies. We're already saving for the gas it will take. Hope to see all of you again in 2006. Sounds like there's a lot of new competition for a club race.

Tony

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Norwalk or wherever

Tony, I enjoyed Norwalk to no end. I enjoyed meeting all the guys from this site. One of the best weekends I had this summer, even with the clutch problems I had. Had lots of help, especially from Bob Walker. Might have messed the car up if he hadn't noticed the pinion angle was off.
The only downer was when they shut you down. That was really uncalled for, especially since you had run for 2 days.
Next, they have changed the date to late July, if I'm not mistaken. Hotter days. The track at Norwalk is a very nice track. Much nicer than the one in Kentucky. Mountain Park is much as it was in the 60s. Same tower!!!!!
The Mountain Park drag strip is run by a great bunch, actually the grandsons of the builder in 1963. They go out of their way to help. IHRA runs there, so it is no slouch of a track.
I guess the point to all this is I think I could get us a date to run at Mountain Park as a feature. Haven't tried, but I would bet they would be happy to have us. I have no problem going back to Norwalk, PROVIDED THEY ALLOW YOU TO RUN WITH US. If they don't want a 409 dragster, they don't want me. That's the way I see it. Can go someplace else besides Mountain Park, too. I don't really care. The point to me is for all of us to get together. So, no Tony, no Fred.
Nuff said.

Fred