hi guys

57 pontiac

New user, new to chats, lots of interesting stuff here, my buddy and i just pulled his old biscayne (64) out from behind his garage after 35 years now the work begins for the oldtymers.
It is a 409 4 speed car. Remember the mind is the first thing to go, and ours is on its way i think, Can't remember if the belhousing was cast or aluminum, 3 different ones in trunk, also if 4 speed was a muncie or borg warner , its missing - its a 409 - 400hp. Code on firewall only says M20 whuch means 4 speed. Everthing was piled in the trunk when he bought it 35 yrs ago. Can't seem the find any info on the net. Do you have any insight or direction. We have to rebuild the motor, someone put a 348 crank in it welded and stroked it to 409(3.5) offset used 348 rods 6.135" and jahns (casting # Je290) pistons. Was a drag car at one time. needs bored.looking for replacement engine components also.
Would like to document it back as close to original as possible.
Si

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Si, Welcome to the nut house. Many of us are nuts and many of us are old. First thing I suggest is to inventory all your 348-409 parts. All casting nos. and all date codes. Have them handy so you know exactly what you have and might help later on in trading for other parts. Much good help available on this site. All you gotta do is ask. Also many Canadians here. :)

Si,
Welcome in :cheers

As Ronnie said:deal

Good to see another Canadian car:beerbang
( BTW, I hope you know that car would be single digit production figure:eek: )

57 pontiac

thanks RR

Yeh 60 sure is nice, except for the snow here, will put all the pt #'s together for later use. Have correct block, heads, manifolds Int/Exh all valve train, cam, just not sure which tranny and belhousing it used. It was a trunk job when purchased.
Being Canadian it may also be different, except they all used Tonawanda built engines i think.
thanks si

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
57 Pontiac, I'm just down the road from you in Barrie Ont. Welcome to the site. :cheers I think that the bell housing should be aluminum. My 62 had an aluminum bell housing and I think the last three digits on the casting were 553:scratch but for some reason I think they used a different bell housing in 64. I also think Chevy went from the Borg Warner T-10 to the Muncie sometime during the 63 model year so I'm pretty sure a Muncie would be the tranny you'd want. Maybe someone who knows for sure will post the proper casting number for the bell housing.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey.....57 Pontiac...my Uncle had one of those cars! Gotta love all that chrome.

This site has alot of great information.

Read through the various pull-downs in the menu here...

http://www.348-409.com/

The "Search" function here is pretty good. Plug in a search parameter and sift through the many "hits" that you might get.:D

Ron

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Muncie Trans Numbers

Trans numbers for the Main Case 3839606, 1963-1964
3851325, 1964-1965
Tail Housing 3846429
Sidecover 3831707
QS409

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Welcome

Hey Si
Welcome to greatest site on the internet..............:clap

My first car (in high schooll) was a 57 Pontiac with a 283 4bbl, hedders and 3 speed...:D
Man it was a terror.........drove it everywhere in '63/64 .........:cool:

Good luck on your 409 project.........I'm starting a 63 Belair 409.............:beerbang

:cheers
bj