Hopefully attending the convention and....

would like to know if there is some wreckyards, speedshops etc. worth wisiting in the Kansas city area?. Or nearby cities maybe.
Will probably fly in early for the convention, maybe the weekend before or Monday.
Sinse it will be 4 of us with a "sicknes" for american cars, wanting to get the most out of the days when we wisiting USA, we like to plan ahead. This is probably a question for Phil who lives in the city. Some of you other guys may also do that, but I dont know who. So its open for all. Looking forward to the answers.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't have an answer for you because I live too far away but I think it's great that you are planning to be there. :cheers

Jim, it is

not comfirmed yet, but we very much want it to happend. And if you want some enouf you will lay down some extra effort making it happend. I think we will be there.
The reason I asks what I ask is that when we fly in from Norway (Europe) we dont want to sitt around allday drinking beer. We will want the most of it

And I must say that I think its a little bit strange that not all of you is attending. You are already in the country,- no you are already in the right continent. And every body has known of this convention for quite a wile, so its plenty of time planing and replaning all other stuff. Fly in or drive there.

I been in USA once for a three week vacation and then we drove from Texas to Florida, back to TX then to California and back to TX again. We did that in two and a half week visting wreck yards, dragraces, late great and even a Donkey (Mustang)meet in California. (One of the other loocking to buying an open donkey to export home you see. Did not find anyone good enough.)
Anyway your roads are made for driving. It was easy to drive pretty far in a short time. Its a puzzle to me that some of you think its to far.

NPN

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Probably the main reason a lot of people can not make it is that unlike Europe,where most people get six weeks of vacation a year,here in the USA most people only get TWO weeks a year. Sometimes the wife and children would rather take a holiday at some place like Disneyland or various other resorts rather than going to Kansas City and looking at a "bunch of old cars"
It takes a few days if you are a reasonable driver to drive from someplace like Seattle to Kansas City 2-3 days each way plus 4 days there.Add up all the time and compare that to the number of vacation days you have available and that is why I can't make it. :dunno Any way Nilsen enjoy yourself at the convention! :clap :clap

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There are several major events going on in the KC area the weekend of Sept 11th and 12th. The associated car clubs of Kansas City has a great listing on line under the Hemmings.com website. The Chevy Rally on the 12th is usually fairly decent.

The Monster Mopar weekend is being held in St. Louis at Gateway International Raceway (3hrs to the east of Kansas City-very easy drive) on the 10/11/12th. I have read that there is to be an exceptional display of 60’-70’ era restored top fuel funny cars at the event.

CarCraft Summer Nationals – Springfield MO (3 hours south of KC) Sept 17-19. I have heard nothing but good about this event. It would be a great filler of Sunday.

I believe that the Goodguys will be at Kansas Speedway either the weekend before or after the 348/409 Convention.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
nilsenpeter63 said:
The reason I asks what I ask is that when we fly in from Norway (Europe) we dont want to sitt around allday drinking beer.
NPN

Now thats un-American !!!! :cheers :D :D :D :cheers

Ed and others !!! If you can`t take the time off to drive or bring your car to the convention PLEASE consider flying in for the weekend !!

It should be almost as fun as having your car there !!
I didn`t take a car to Hot August Nights last year and still had a blast !!!!
Could be more fun !!
You can take advantage of viewimg all the cars and at the races can watch ALL the car race rather then sitting in the staging lanes and not being able to view the other cars racing !!

Sometimes I intentionaly leave my car at home and go to these events so I can do just that !! ,,,
Think about it !!

If I can`t get this house done in time I may have to do just that,,, fly in ,,,dq

Ed51 It was not my intention offending anyone, of course it is a matter of priority and your country is big. It takes time driving I know. I beg your parden.

TomO
Thanks, this is the info I am looking for. Anygood salvage yards in the nearby area (3 -5 ours) Any thing else that is a must, when we first are there, for some Chevynuts?

If and when we fly in we are renting a car, but one of the guys are looking to buy a -61 bubbletop. A rustfree project or better/more comlete/running. anyone of those in the area?

And we are thinking if we could get to buy an allright lategreat Chevy that we could use instead of the rental car we rather do that. Thats ahead in time, but is there a chance of that could be done?

NPN

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't think anyone was offended. Don't worry. Some of my friends and relatives (not necessarily the same people ;) ) are Swedish and when they come here they always say how long it takes to get somewhere. They are a little surprised at how far apart some places are. Trust me, riding in a car from Denver to Seattle with people singing Swedish folksongs most of the way makes airline tickets look real good. It's great that you're coming. We ... uh ... we don't sing on cruises though. Just thought I'd mention that.

So DQ - do you still think you might not bring your car? You're still coming aren't you?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
TM, I`m coming one way (driving) or the other (flying) !!!!

I have checked the airfare and it`s only $234 round trip from Portland !!
And from the looks of it it is about the same price from any US city.
Other then maybe KC Kansas !! :D

Bob, It`s only $223 RT from Pottsville to KC.

The house won`t be done in time or ready to sell so I`d have to kick a bucket of cash over if I drive there.

Never know,,,,, but I WILL BE THERE !!

Ya know if twenty members kicked in ten bucks apiece we could get Bob there !!! :D :deal ,,,dq

bobs409

Administrator
We don't have an airport in Pottsville, Pa? :D We're lucky to have cabs. lol

I can't attend but I'm sure I'll get to hear all the details right here. Maybe we can collect pictures from everyone that takes a camera and create a memorial to the 1st 348-409 National convention right here on this site. A picture page with stories written by those that attended.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK Bob,,,, So tell us why you can`t come?
We want a very good excuse,,,,,, dq

Nilsen... I just wanted to say... I think you make a valid point. If guys like you in Europe, Australia, ect, can make such an effort to attend, there is no reason why the real ethusiasts on this continent, if the cost is within reach, can't attend.
Holidays are for the family. I can tell you this... my 18 year old daughter is BEGGING me to take her with me... and my wife is very disapointed she can't attend. Sometimes it's about sharing your interests with your family... and vice versa. You all may go camping, you all may go to Disneyland... this time, you go to Kansas City. Is that so much to ask ? I know I can't help but get interested in certain "unusual" activities when I see my family having fun at them.

This is THE BIG KAHUNA ( spelling ? ) for us die hard W "block heads". This is THE event to plan for :cheers :beerbang

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is this the same OZ that was on this site last year? :dunno peak behind the curtain

Click your heals three time and repeat after me.
"I want to go to Kansas " !!!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I never studied Shakespeare in school. In fact I quit after grade 10 to go and work in a garage. :D But he did write something in a play (Henry V) that could apply to this first convention.

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

To bad he's dead because I'm sure he'd have written something similar about this convention. :beerbang

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Kc

Well, I am still on the fence at this late stage of the game.

If my wife's health is not in jeopardy (they're checking for leukemia), and I still have a job (I'm told heads will roll at the next inventory if the numbers don't match this next month) I may drive up there (plenty of vacation time due to me) and just sleep in the minivan instead of a hotel room. Heck, I may just be the taxi service we need to move several guys around from place to place. I have a (meek shuddering voice) Plymouth Voyager 7 passenger van I'll likely go in. My Belair just ain't gonna be roadworthy enough to drive there.

:)

I think this

is an other good point. Its only the first time thats really is the first time. The first time you kiss a girl or drive a car or anything segnifcant. you allways will remember a first time when it regarding such importent stuff. Some of the people (racers)that attending the convention may not be attending next time. All those z11 cars together for the first time. and so on so on..........
This is one of those first times, I think!!????

I also think this convention could be held every second year (or more)so it will be sligthly "exclusive". An it will get the people that holding the threads better time to pull it off. Just me thinking, cause I know how much work this can be.
And Mr. Reed has done a heck of a job on this one. I salute you!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm honored!!

Dear NPN:

I read your messages this morning for the first time. I'm honored and humbled by the fact that the 4 of you are making such an investment in time and money to be here next month. I just haven't been able to get this off my mind all day!!

Email me at philreed@sound. net and I'll will try to have some activities and places to go for you and your buddies. We have some things in the area that may be of interest to you. I don't know of any bubbletops for sale at this time but will keep my eyes open for you. Are you flying into Kansas City directly? Do you have your motel reservations yet? I have heard that most of the hotels are full now for the week of the convention. There is a list of hotels in the area on the website. Look it over and try contacting them.

If you stay in Kansas City for the following week, we do have the Goodguys event here at our new Nascar track. I believe they had close to 4000 cars here last year for the Goodguys. That ought to help cure your car "sickness"!!!

Again, thank you for coming!!! I will try my best to make sure you have a memorable weekend and will not be disappointed.

Phil Reed

It is not hopfully attending anymore, its attending the convention. Just details to work out left.
We will fly in on Monday 13. sept. and there will be just three of us. Originaly we wore four, but one fell of on the way.

We all looking forward to this.