Hypothetical 348 budget build options

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. I'm kindda new to these "milder" builds lol. I really think that the way things are panning out in the world today, these little 348 are going to be the choice for "budget friendly" builds that are SOUTH of the 600Hp range and make good little street motors. 409 stuff (block and 690 heads) is just so much more expensive and IF your only looking to make 400-500Hp on a budget, these 348 with the "throw-away" parts just seem like the right fit.

Now when your talking PERFORMANCE STREET with the budget a bit more removed, these 348 STROKED have made what 650Hp or so on PUMP GAS, possibly more! But the heads being what they are I can see 500Hp.

Street-ABLE???? Well everyone has a different meaning of that.

Mark my words, the 348 ARE going to be the BLOCKS of future STREET builds. 409 will go to RESTO's and aftermarket for extreme street/race motors. Cubic dollars at it's FINEST!

But the question of the day, "WILL AUBREY MAKE A 2X4 INTAKE (CALL IS NOSTALGIA SPEED-PORT LOL)?" Guys are saying "409 and 2X4's go hand in hand", and there are no good 2X4 intake out there, Ummm???????

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Thanks for the referrals, guys:bow:bow... though I didn't mean just my intake.
If you need a torquey little engine, that's strong say 2000-5000 RPM, the Edelbrock Performer would be perfect choice.

Remember that dyno test I did last year ? That performer, with the same carb, put another 10 ft lb torque and 35 HP on that 390 HP engine. Looking at it like was just pointed out, that's about $10-$12 per horsepower..

Aubrey, so I have not seen this dyno result? Is that the motor the 6000 was dyno'ed on? Specs? Can you send or post it for me, THANKS.

Right here, John:

Just like to mention again...
That small port prototype was still not "right there". The runners, as they entered the heads, still took too much of a dive down. Also, the plenum floor area was virtually flat.
After doing a few more quick drawings for my pattern maker, we finally got that all corrected. In fact... more than corrected.
Not sure how this final piece is going to work... but I KNOW it WILL be better than the one tested.

Now, lets save some money, and port some 333 heads !

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Unless ya'll are building full race 348 stroker I think you better tamp down you expectations.

Last edited:

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't wait til mine is ready so I can have some actual input on this.. But I was thinking if it's anywhere in the 350HP range.. I'll be thrilled..:dance

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Upwards of 500hp from a tiny 380" 348? Yikes that's asking a lot but I think doable.

My engine has a lot of good stuff in it, is 416" (stock stroke) and was inching up on 500hp on 91 octane pump fuel. How could it have hit more hp? More compression (it's 10.2:1), more cam, more intake volume (taller spacer) and maybe more expertly ported heads. That should crest 500hp on pump gas.

333 heads have a lot of potential. If someone really wanted to go nuts on a set I bet even more could be had with them. But 500+hp out of a 380" might be tough.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes John,Thats what he's saying!I for one believe it's entirely possible,although I'm far from an expert.My 380[if I can get it down here and ever get it done,has the budget[?] bottom end,a set of used ,lightly ported Bob Walla's[I bought them used from a fellow member here for about what a new set of Eddys would cost]and a Comp roller cam[also used from a fellow member] 110 center,4 degree advance,230 in-240ex@.050,and it will be topped off with a Speed-Sport 7000[not exactly budget,but I was going to have to buy a intake anyway],and I think that I'm going to make 500.I could be wrong.

It'll be interesting to see how this engine does. The heads and intake will have no problem supporting 500 plus horsepower but with 380 ci you'll have to get it revved up pretty high. I think it's just a question of whether or not the cam has enough duration because I'm guessing you'll have to get it revved up into the 6,200 to 6,500 rpm range to get 500 hp.
My first guess is that you might need a little more duration, but don't go by what I say, I was off by 500 rpm when I guessed at the peak horsepower range of my last engine. :oops

It sounds like a really nice combo. My prediction is,,, if the power peaks above 6,300 rpm,,, it'll make 500 hp! :beer

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
380 cubic inches and 500HP is just over 1.3HP/cubic inch. The 650 HP 437" Sherman build was closer to 1.5 HP/cube and still on pump gas although certainly not budget. I don't think 1.25 or 1.3 horses per cube is out of the question for a streetable build on somewhat of a budget. Jason's (yellow wagon) 416" and 475 HP is right at 1.15 HP/cube. Even at that, a 380 would make about 435 HP. That's decent power for a driveable, pump gas package.
In my opinion the 348 block/409 crank combination is very much like a 400 block/350 crank small block chevy build. Those are proven to make really good power and like RPM . Ported #333's, BWR, or Edelbrock heads would flow right up there with the best small block chevy "street/strip" style heads available. A flat tappet cam the size of Don's peaks just over 6,000 in those engines. Plus his being a solid roller should help it out on the top end of the rev range.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The cam card says a peak of 6200 on 409 ,my simulator indicates a peak of about that. The bottom end should withstand 7000,I'm thinking 65-6600 max.The torque peak,with a single plane comes in at about 4500 or so.This program is several years old and dosent account for the newer technogly ,such as Aubreys intake. I have never gone with the number that it projects,but the hp and tq rpm peak numbers always have been remarkably close to what thec cam mnanufactures suggest.This thing could be close,or way off,we'll see.

John, I believe those basic tachs were optional on 1962-1965 American Pontiac full size cars, and 1963-1965 Canadian Pontiac 4 speed cars ( standard equipment with 300 HP 327 and up ).
They're on feebay once in a while.