I feel snubbed by Hot Rod Magazine

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The latest edition, Jan 08, has a story about the top 100 most influential hot rods of all time, and I don't see any 409's, plenty of early race cars, and most worthy of participation, but only one 60 Chevy, hot rod number 52 of Troy Trepanier, with no mention of what the engine is. Camaro's up the yang yang, lots of 55 chevys, willys, 34 ford coupes, early customs, late customs, but no 409 drag cars. General Lee is #1, American Grafiti ranks high as does Garlits, Muldowney, Mickey Thompson, Dick landy, Richard Petty, Dean Moon, the Little Red Wagon, Snake and Mongoose, Sox and Martin, Smokey Yunick, Stone Woods And Cook, and soo many more, all of which should be part of this story, but no legendary 409's? The Batmobile is number 9, wheres a 409? I drag raced as a teenager because of the white 63 Chevy 409's jerkin the front wheels off the ground at Americas drag strips, thats what got me interested and thats why after all these years I own one. Hot Rod just lost a lot of my respect, please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, a hundred spots open and a 409, any 409, didn't make the cut.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The latest edition, Jan 08, has a story about the top 100 most influential hot rods of all time, and I don't see any 409's, plenty of early race cars, and most worthy of participation, but only one 60 Chevy, hot rod number 52 of Troy Trepanier, with no mention of what the engine is. Camaro's up the yang yang, lots of 55 chevys, willys, 34 ford coupes, early customs, late customs, but no 409 drag cars. General Lee is #1, American Grafiti ranks high as does Garlits, Muldowney, Mickey Thompson, Dick landy, Richard Petty, Dean Moon, the Little Red Wagon, Snake and Mongoose, Sox and Martin, Smokey Yunick, Stone Woods And Cook, and soo many more, all of which should be part of this story, but no legendary 409's? The Batmobile is number 9, wheres a 409? I drag raced as a teenager because of the white 63 Chevy 409's jerkin the front wheels off the ground at Americas drag strips, thats what got me interested and thats why after all these years I own one. Hot Rod just lost a lot of my respect, please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, a hundred spots open and a 409, any 409, didn't make the cut.

Ask Hot Rod what car and engine combo Sox and Martin started out in?????????

Their answer will sum up their lack of Knowledge and respect!!!!!!!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
I stoped reading Hot Rod too.

I saw my 1st 409 car [gold 56 HT] launch off a street lite about 1963.He pulled 2nd gear right next to me.......!!! As you can see by my handle,I built my own years later.Hot rod sucks.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
when Gary Baskerville was alive and working for Hot Rod that wouldn't have happened. Gary loved the old 409s. he was quite a character. i miss him and the old days!

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave,just another reason I decided not to renew my Hot Rod Magazine subscription.I have been a subscriber for almost 35 years,but no more.I totally agree with what you all are saying if Gary Baskerville were alive,the magazine would not be like this,and yes there would difinetly be a 409 car listed in there.Their magazine has gotten progressively worse for the last 8 years.Hemmings magazines(all) blows them right out of the water. John

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I posted on www.hotrod.com's messageboard and let them know that I threw the free hot rod hat for subscribing in the trash today and won't be renewing my subscription. My message is titled top 100 most influential hot rods, b.s.

Price of gas was 29 cents a gallon when I drove a truck just out of high school, deisel was 10 cents a gallon but we got a 2 cent discount for buying all of our fuel at the same truck stop in Chicago, don't remember what the gas discount was, but diesel was 8 cents a gallon after our discount.

But I miss my hair the most.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I posted on www.hotrod.com's messageboard and let them know that I threw the free hot rod hat for subscribing in the trash today and won't be renewing my subscription.

Thier drones will call you every night during dinner....we are hot rod.. you will subscribe...resistance is frutile...:roll

All calls ceased after the air horn answered the phone:eek:

Then came the junk mail. Did you know that little return postage stamp on envenlopes they use is good for up to 50lbs of cat **** via returned postage paid by sender:D
(note: You will be banned from doing this after the first time so get it right:D )

Don't belive me try it:cool:

Been free and clear of HR lice tics and fleas for darn neer 2 years:roll

Vengence is a dish best served with BEER:beerbang

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well Hot Rod may be falling down but Super Chevy is beginning to
make some changes.................:clap

Check out the January issue and Doug Marion's great article on the
the 50th anniversary of the 'W'.............:bow

Goodbye Hot Rod.....hello Super Chevy......thanx Doug.........:cool:

:cheers
bj

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I think I might have started some trouble for the editor at Hot Rod magazine, check out the link. But he did tell me to get over it, and another guy said 409's were for old men, ouch, but although nobody is defending my choice, they are letting him know how wrong his list is and who should be on it.

http://forums.hotrod.com/70/6458482...t-influential-hot-rods-of-all-time/index.html

Anybody care to chime in on these old push rod rattlers and connecting rod tossers??? feel free.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Good job Dave............you really know how to stir the pot!!!!:doh :doh :roll :roll

It's real interesting to read but I don't think I'll run out and buy a copy of Hot Rod to see the whole article tho!!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good job Dave............you really know how to stir the pot!!!!:doh :doh :roll :roll

It's real interesting to read but I don't think I'll run out and buy a copy of Hot Rod to see the whole article tho!!!

Me either...:rolleyes: I Sh!t Canned Hot Rod a long time ago.....:deal

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I dumped shot rod 4 years ago and ya they tried to get me to reup so I sent them a big deal on my cars told them if the did an artical I would buy one magazine, still have not seen one. I just bought a bunch of old shot rods from the 60's now they are way cool I just cut them up and sell the ads out of most but I kept all the 409 ones intact.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I usualy pick through the mags and find a few I like. One that caught my eye this month was http://www.ckdeluxemag.com/. They had the Gasser Reunion and look at what they have featured ... a 1957 staight axle blown 409 gasser:beerbang

Not everything is great but I really get tired of the same old builds where some dude has all of the work farmed out except for maybe the air freashner he hangs on the mirror and calls himself a hot rodder:evil

I would rather read how Gene or Bill or one of the other greats hammered metal and slung lead to build the works of art they do. :beerbang

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm still stiring the pot, got an apology from Kinnan for c alling the J2000 really stupid, and other members of the staff pipe in about not agreeing with some of the choices on the final cut. I'm a real a hole sometimes.