Ideas for the next Shootout

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Shootout at Thompson was great but some of the guys suggested starting a thread with ideas and suggestions to make the next event even better.
If we can document the areas that need improvement maybe we can work on addressing those problems so that things will be even better next time.

As a racer I think things went very well but next time we'll certainly have to negotiate with the track to get a better spot for the show cars.

I think next time we'll also have to try and have room to set up a canopy and table where people can sign in and get information.

A group photo of the cars and people would also be nice. That could be done if we picked a time and place ahead of time.

The location of the track is always an issue and what kind of event to tag on to. We fit in well with the Gassers but we would also fit in with a Nostalgia Super Stock event.

I hope some of the members will come up with some concerns and ideas to help make this event even better in the years to come.:deal

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim-

Melissa has already volunteered to handle apparel sales and could certainly handle signing everyone in, so put her down for that task.

Perhaps we can make the location a little more centrally located for the west coast guys/gals to bring their cars???

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Perhaps we can make the location a little more centrally located for the west coast guys/gals to bring their cars???

I'd be in favour of Seattle.

Dave

:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll

All of the above suggestions are great. It would be pretty easy to do most of those things I think.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd be in favour of Seattle.

Dave

You would. aye. Is f a v o u r the french spelling?:roll:roll:roll

I think Jim pretty much covers my concerns. Although a more central location puts all those 409 parts too close to the home of Reed's Raiders.:roll:roll:roll

Ray

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What you talkin' bout Willis?

Did you mean Central Seattle? Bring your rain tires.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
websters dictionary for Ray

OK Ray, here's what it says in the dictionary........:deal

Favour
Noun
1. A feeling of favorable regard.
2. An inclination to approve; "that style is in favor this season".
3. An advantage to the benefit of someone or something; "the outcome was in his favor".
4. Souvenir consisting of a small gift given to a guest at a party.
5. An act of gracious kindness.

Verb
1. Treat gently or carefully.
2. Bestow a privilege upon.
3. Promote over another.
4. Consider as the favorite; "The local team was favored".

Date "favour" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1010.

But right at the bottom it says......:bang
"Favour" is a common misspelling or typo for: favor

Ray my friend I appoligize for my spelling mistakes, I'll try harder in the future eh ??:yawn:

:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll

Dave

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian you are correct, Melissa did a great job.

I know time is short but I would suggest we make time for group pictures and if possible a short banquet where evryone could be at the same time. We could pass out awards etc. Larry

Phoenix would be great (it's a dry heat)

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
How about ???

I know Phil wouldn't enjoy this, but how about Kansas City. It's 1600 miles from Portland, Maine and 1900 miles from Seattle, WA ?? That's about the East and West of it... :dunno

Or there is always Denver, CO they have a Super Chevy or one of the big races there every year. Well just something to think about. :beerbang

Bill

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Smaller classic venues

I like the feel and atmosphere of the smaller, local tracks where they appreciate us being there. Norwalk and Thompson are good examples. Hotels are nearby, and the sites have that 1950s feel. And we're not part of some really, really huge event that overshadows us. I've never been to a Super Chevy, but I can imagine we would be a fly on the wall in one of those events?

I have travelled about 700 miles one way, that's a one day trip out and one day back, just about right. Of course KC is in my backyard, I could bring two cars to that one! Double the bugs on the hood and radiator :).

Colorado is also within striking distance, but you know us Missouri guys just hate to travel through KS (an old Civil War era rivalry).

I will try to be as open as I can, would like to see as many members and their cars as possible. It might be that we establish two separate sites, one for each side of the country. Being in the Midwest, I could possibly attend both :).

On the way home James asked me in a round about way if I have anything down the basement that I would consider blowing up -- which to him means "racing". My car isn't a show car or a race car, it's a Driver car. Basically a stock body, stock rear end (3.36), stock B/W T-10, and since it's all "date coded period correct" I'd prefer not to blow it up racing. That said, James' inquiry was to see if there was something I could sacrifice and I thought of a truck block Tony Schaffer sleeved (saved!) and the stock crank/rods balanced to M/T forged aluminum pistons. Throw in a set of 333 heads with some work done to them, a nifty cam to wake everything up, and Voila! you have an inexpensive 409 build that can go 400-450 horses and provide a lot of torque.

What James was talking about was building a Gasser from stuff he and I have laying around. Plus some fabrication, of course. He was really impressed by Jim and Jim's 55 Phantom 409, plus all the other Gassers that were at Thompson. Especially that trio of Black 1952 Belair coupes -- did you guys notice how sweet those were? They were parked just under the grandstands, were record holders back in the day. When the guy fired up that one, you couldn't even hear the cars going down the track...

So James gets to thinking "I've got a 1950 Chevy fastback, and a ton of old racer parts, why not cobble something classic together and go racing". We talked about it all the way home to Missouri into the wee hours of the AM. Then again last night. Looks like we've got most of the big parts it takes. He was also thinking "392 Hemi with a blower", but might "settle" for a 409 build, seeing how there's one in the house being donated to the effort ...

A bit off the subject, but you racers understand how it just killed James to be there at Thompson with all those race cars and not be racing :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Full steam ahead, Tom. You and James would make the perfect race team. Working together, you can have a car ready for the next get-together. You need to twist his arm enough to agree to the 409 power. Good luck, :cheers

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think Tom K may be on to something about the east, west seperate events and then one national event every 3-4 years. As much as I would like a another shot at the texas gang:roll Most clubs would have regional events then the "big one" just my two cents .

Kevin

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This issue needs to be addressed and it has to happen sooner or later, so might as well get it over with. I have never known what the term, shootout, means. Sounds like, run-what-you-brung deal. As everyone knows, we showed up with our bracket-race car. The new engine was full of bugs and the car was totally unprepared. We simply ran out of time, but being at the get-together was important to us. It was pointed out to me that some felt the delay box was unfair to use. I agreed that if the guys around the campfire decided to disallow it ,, so be it. We could have loaded the car and watched the racing. No such rules were mentioned during the driver's meeting, so we ran what we brung. At the next get-together, we will not have a delay box in the car. I will need guidance on the transbrake, I don't know if others use one or not. If not, we will simply not use it. It is easy to tell if a car leaves with or without a transbrake. This event is for "fun", but we are all racers, and racers want to win, no matter what the event is. We have a year to address any and all concerns and all people need is an outline of what the majority feels is fair. I sincerely hope there are no hard feelings, but if there are, all I can do is to offer our apologies. One thing I am sure of is that next year our car will be prepared, cause I ain't working on the damn thing. The only racing I have seen of the event are the videos that have been posted, with the exception of the final race, I did get to watch that one. So, in conclusion, if we can do anything to ease any concerns, please let me know and we will go to great lengths to correct any issues. But, we intend on showing up, so don't suggest to stay home. :roll

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
HHHHhhhmmmmmmm I thought the only rule was that it had to have a 409...... there was a couple of different motors in X cars and they definately added to the show......
I think it's going to get silly if we start making up a bunch of rules 'cause where do you stop....... the next thing you know we are going to have to have a tear down crew. I have seen to many good events and shows ruined by people wanting to start adding rules...... some get upset because they don't like the rules and then don't come....... and then John Smith and several more don't come because they won't let their buddy race....... Soon you have decention among the group and the event turns into a small old boys club with 6 cars. Each rule will reduce the amout of people that will bring their cars...... I'm sure there were people and cars there that the deciding factor in making the trip was that their friends were going.

I think that for the racing any X frame should be welcome or any car with a "W"........ for the 409 shoot out trophy the only rule should be that it has to have a "W" under the hood ....if it has a hood.... after all it is a 409 shoot out !!

Let's face it, there were lots of people behind letting Tony run his dragster and it definately added to the show !! It would have been very sad if he couldn't have raced his car........... and we sure couldn't say that the Chevy II with the 409 didn't add the event !!

If there is enough cars that don't fit this and have big blocks or what ever they could have their own Impala shoot out if they want !!
We need to keep it simple and welcome everyone !! It's for fun and to put on a show for the crowd....... lets keep it that way !!!!

Run what you bring and have fun !!

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie you need to put on your glass's and re-read the post !!!!! and there is no rule that says an X frame car has to have an X frame.

There I put it in bold print for you Ronnie.
Dave