ideas on stopping windshield leaks

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have installed the glass on the 64 and have had a difficult time getting the water leaks to stop. I have used dum-dum and 3M's window weld urethane and I can't stop the leaks. I installed the glass and then applied the dum-dum between the body and the rubber seal and then put urethane under the lip of the rubber on the outside and it still leaks. It appears that it is leaking at the molding clips. If you get in the car and pull the seal down the water appears to be at the point where there is a window molding clip. So what is the secret or what have I done wrong??? Any help would be appreciated. At this point I am about to apply a bead of urethane under the inside lip of the seal just to see if that helps.:bang:bang

I used to work in a glass shop and this is how we did it. We used a chaulking called bedding and glazing compound. cut the tip with a small hole and put between the glass and rubber and run the bead around the complete window. Be careful not to push down on the edge of the glass. Then with the moldings off run a bead from the bottom 6" up the side and across the top. Use your finger to smooth out the bead then place the moldings on. Use a new razor blade to run along the glass against the rubber to clean up the excess. You can then use a petroleum based solvent on a rag to wipe up the rest on the window. Your probably seeing the water coming in around the clips because of the indent it makes in the rubber gasket. That's how we did it and it worked, in Washington State we get alot of rain!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
wicking silicone

I have had good results with a product called wicking silicone. I seeps into the leaks by wicking action and later firms up. Just apply at the top and let it run down the edges and it seeps into the holes. Comes in a small tube at auto parts stores.