bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Winter driving............yyyukkkk:doh

But we all did it in our 'machines'..........:rolleyes:
Winter 65/66/67 I was driving a 63 Vette Coupe with a big set of snows
on the back............boy would they light up when the 411 posi
got smacked by my home built 327, solid cam and 2-4's...............:D
Yup, even a 2 year old Vette didn't have the original engine...........:grumble:

Then I bought a new 68 Vette 427 in Feb 68 and immediately put four
studded snows on it.........now that was a wild ride over a 100 mph in the
snow.................:beerbang :beerbang

after that I always bought a winter beater and stored the Vette/Camaro/Chevelle or whatever for the winter................can't believe we drove 'em in the snow.........:stooges

:cheers
bj

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Winter beater was a 71' VW Bus,bought from some hippy guy that I worked with in the music business in 1972.My 64' Chevy and 73' Corvette sat in the garage when weather was bad,used them both very sparingly in the winter.That darn VW Bus would go anywhere in the snow,but it had the darn worst heater I've ever had in any vehicle.It was so bad,you'd have to scrap the ice from the windows on the inside,never ever warmed up inside until you got where your going(always kept blankets in the bus).Finally traded that sucker in on a 76' Chevy Beauville Window Van,that had a heater that would driive you out of that thing.Drove that van for 14 years and 450,000 miles,no real problems,just body rot and normal maintenance and gave it away,best darn running vehicle I ever had. John

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
65elcaminoinsnow25.jpg

i never owned a car that ran when i bought it till way in my 30's and that was an Omni 024 that little joker did really good in the snow.
my first car with tags was a red 62 Impala with 427-390 M-20 3.55 posi and snow tires. went amazingly well in the deep stuff. (wish i kept that one)
i soon realized i needed a truck. the neighbor had a 65 c-10 with transplanted 292 and granny 4 speed $350. i jacked that one up and put tall thin military style tires on it. (got them from my boss Mal Durham) did really well. when i converted it to 4X4 400 SBC and turbo350 it did way better. then the body rotted off and i stuck this 65 elky body on it. if you look close, you can spot the rear coil springs. nowadays, i have a 99 one ton GMC 4X4 with 454 for the heavy storms and a Z24 cavalier for the light stuff.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,they El Camino was a pretty neat ride.Bet you got some looks from the hardcore Pontiac people. John

BC409

Supporting Member 1
in 1988 i was stationed at ft carson colorado.My only driver was my 1969 ss396 camaro.325hp 4spd 331 posi.headed to idaho falls for xmas with family.had to stop and buy tire chains in ft collins just to get to I-80.after getting on I-80 they closed it behind me and ahead of me.spent the night at some truck stop west of laramie.next morning road still closed.looked at a map,found a way a round by going north to medicine bow,by then it was a damn challenge that i was gonna win.front spoiler was kicking up snow into the stock open element air cleaner carb
would then begin to freeze up.throttle would get sticky.had to wrap a sweatshirt around the air cleaner and block the radiator opening.i did finally make it home.the car was beast with that good posi and tire chains! When I tell this story
I think I may be the last guy ever to chain up a bigblock camaro.had fun though
bc409