intakes

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey guys I have a question on this Mcquillan intake. I just purchased a new set of 4150 Holleys. I set the rear carb up on the intake and immediately ran into a problem. The secondary throttle shaft hits the distributor cap in my application. I didnt have any carb spacers so I used some threaded rod and nuts to make a makeshift spacer for mockup. But I almost have to have 2 1/2 inch of spacer before it would clear! Surely someone has run into this or has a idea for a solution.
I know Carl was aware of that issue. He stated he moved the carb flanges forward to give the proper clearance. Winder if you got an early top plate? You may want to check with him.

Ryan VanDillen

I found my pertronix distributor to be too tall. If I use my older distributor with the pertronix ignitor kit the holley fits like your saying, very close. May have to go back to this distributor. I think I'll call carl mcquillan tomorrow before I put that distributor in. After all it's only one more day.

Robert Jacobson

I am presently running a M/T crossram intake on my 480 inch 409. I am thinking about a Walden or McQuillen intake instead. Would I be better off in the performance criteria? I must say I enjoy the lookers at the crossram. I must also say that the performance is very satisfactory with the crossram.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I vote for the McQuillian.These things make power and torque all across the rpm band.It'll likely hand you another 35 hp over the cross ram as well.I don't know what your combo is except that it's a 480 incher,but you'll love it.

427John

Well Known Member
But if max. power is not your top priority,ain't nothin going to outwow that M/T crossram.Well maybe a Hillborn stack injection.

Robert Jacobson

It took me seven years of looking to find that crossram. I found it south of Detroit, new, still in the box. The guy had two. Went straight to my polish guy and had it polished. I'm not racing, well, maybe from stoplight to stoplight every once in a while. My combo is a 3/8 stroker crank, bored .125, 690 heads, Harland Sharp roller rockers, Isky Z33 camshaft, two Holley 750 carbs. The pistons are Ross 9.5:1 compression. I did the pistons to deal with pump gas. I have a 68 corvette 427, 10.25 stock compression which doesn't like pump gas too much so I went with 9.5. This engine is in a 55 Chevy, with an M22 four speed and 3.90 rear end gears in a GM 12 bolt. Originally the crank was externally balanced but I had it internally balanced so I could run a 153 tooth L88 flywheel and clutch assembly. It runs okay but after awhile you're always looking for a little more edge.