Looking for engine removal advice

SteveB

Supporting Member 1
Any help will be appreciated.
The questions I have concern pulling a W engine out of a 64/5 Chevy, tandem axle truck. It's one of those big short nosed fellows where the engine is kinda back up under the cowl.
The first thing I would like to know is: is it possible to do this easily WITHOUT removing the front sheetmetal? That is most likely an oxymoron, but I leave to a more experienced group for advice. The reason I would prefer to leave it place is a short time factor for removal, and the need to have it presentable for sale.
The second issue is: where would be the best place to attach a lifting eye or eyes? I have never been to crazy about using the intake manifold, but have, and am willing to accept your recommendation. We will most likely be using a frontend loader and chain.
How about the trans? Do I need some type of jack or cribbing to hold it up in place?
That's about it. If you have suggestions or know of other problems I might encounter, please let me hear 'em.
Again: Thank You guys for your knowlege and patience. :doh

FARO72CS

Well Known Member
Engine Removal

I would remove the trans first after taking the floor cover off inside the cab, if you don't remove the trans first then you will have to move engine that much farther
ahead to get away from the trans input shaft on pull out. Removing the radiator and core support and grille is a must on these units, very similar to a van engine removal. It is a bit time consuming, but my feeling is if you are only selling the engine it will be to your advantage at sale time. If you are junking out the truck one can torch the core support, etc to facilitate removal faster. 6 hours should be plenty of time for removal on the average. Good luck & hope this helps.:coffee:

SteveB

Supporting Member 1
Again, Thanks guys.
Ronnie, thank you especially for not being a jerk. I did a search first hoping to find such a thread. I had no luck, but must not have used the right word combo.
I'm also a member of the HAMB, and those old cats can get a little dickish if you ask questions that have already been on there.
Larry, thank you. I believe I'll just plan on spending a little more time on this project and remove all the front sheetmetal. The engine is for me. The truck is to be auctioned off later, so I will have to replace the fenders and such.
I really don't see someone replacing the engine and useing a truck this old but you never know. It has a grain bed on back, so maybe that would be desirable.
Still, I am excited about getting it out, as I have seen the thread concerning truck engines. Running the #'s also has me reved up. It would just be so much better if it was JUNE!
Thanks again, Steve.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey, don't complain. I'll take your Oklahoma "January" weather over this Minnesota winter anyday. It was minus 13 when I left for work this morning but it has now warmed up to minus 4. :(
Also the wind was blowing between 30 and 40 mph. I'll let you figure the windchill.
Good luck with the engine pull.

SteveB

Supporting Member 1
Say Bungy,
Thanks for kickin' reality back in. For big ole sissys like me, anything under 70 has me complaining about the cold! Supposed to be like 65 here Sat. Hope I can stand it! Should have the ole engine out by then.
Stay warm, Steve.