mallory distributor with 6AL

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is it running for 5 sec. at 2000 ish rpm should have pulled fuel from bowls.

Not using gas in tank to start it. Fuel Is manually added to carb. Both accel pumps work fine. Thought about using carb with choke, but I can add as much fuel as needed with jar. May try anyway. NO fuel pump. Never used ether either.

Something that came back to me.... When I drove it to the one show, I check the oil and It was down more than I thought it should be. 1/2 qt??
This leads to this....
What kind of vacuum should be at cranking??? I got not quit 2 in-HG. ???? How fast does it have to turn to get good vacuum???
I expect to smell fuel in the oil after all the gas I have dumped in. I do. I also wonder ......
If i can't get enough fuel in cylinder (or air) where does it go? If intake gasket is GONE, much of the fuel would go to the oil and no vacuum cranking.
If I accidentally pour to much gas in, some could get to cylinder and run a few seconds.
I think I need to check the intake gasket, but It would have to be in BAD SHAPE to cause this.

I think and talk about this way to much.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Maybe carb is plugged mainly the idle circuit's try a different carb. or not enough vacuum to pull fuel from carb. update, Forgot you have the bigger head's.

Last edited:

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My 327 pulls 3 in Hg vacuum cranking. Did not expect a lot. 409 is under 2. Pulled the intake.
Not sure if it was sealed or not. No gasket transfer on the bottom of 6 ports on the head side. Intake side was stuck good.
Talked to a racer buddy. He thought it could be a leak, maybe enough to cause a problem. Don't think it would have to be big to overcome the closed throttle.
I'm skeptical that this is the culprit. I will check the gap when I reinstall. Double gasket or mill as needed.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
no. had home made tester but took it apart for something else. should a got another one

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
So Thomas, what type of fuel pump is on your engine? Mechanical or Electric?:dunno

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I assume, it was working OK, all the times, you tried to start the motor.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I assume, it was working OK, all the times, you tried to start the motor.
yes it worked fine.... when it was hooked up

well... I removed the intake. 6 ports had no gasket transfer (stuck) at the bottom of the ports. There was a small sign where the was a crush. I doubt it was leaking, at least not as much as I thought, not sure.

Checked the exhaust side cam timing and it was still the same as when I put it in. Didn't see a need to do the intake.
TDC mark is with in 1 degree.

I did see one thing I did not like. The lobes looked to be worn. As if they had a lot of miles where. I have never looked at a cam after a brake in was not sure if this is what to expect. After seeing this I check some lift and check the rotation of the lifters. all rotating. lift is roughly about .030 less than spec. I did not measure the cam when new. This should not keep it from running as I still have .550 lift.

I have not seen and metal and where.

Going back together with a 750 eddie afb and unilite with out the 6AL.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
On break in, the lifters wear in. The cam should not wear at all. Mic a few lobes, that'll tell.