Man killed at firey crash at carshow

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, I went to our local news website to check the weather and found this: :eek:

Man Killed in Fiery Crash
By Renie Workman
5:42 PM EDT, May 10, 2009
A horrific scene for those at a classic car show Sunday afternoon in Luzerne County. They watched a deadly crash right in front of them. An antique pulling into the show was rear-ended and burst into flames, killing the driver inside.
Witnesses said the flames were so intense that there was nothing they could do to help the man trapped inside.
Those at the car show said the victim's family saw it all happen.
A classic car show turned deadly in Ashley on the road between Wilkes-Barre and Mountain Top.
Witnesses said the driver of an antique car was turning into the show held at Bentley's off Route 309 when he was rear-ened by a sports utility vehicle. The car burst into flames. Witnesses tried to save the man, but were unable to.
"Just chaos. Everybody was running over to the blue Nova to help him out. It was just up in flames. Everybody was just running over trying to rip the door open," said Scott Price of Wilkes-Barre.
"I ran with the fire extinguisher and I tried to put the flames out, but I couldn't control the flames. The car was on too much fire," said Mike Mundy of Plymouth.
Witnesses said the man was going to the car show with his family, who saw it all happen.
"They were in the parking lot watching him pull in and they saw the entire thing, from when he was pulling in like a normal car all the way up to the accident and the flames and everything like that." said Price.
Many car enthusiasts said there is a lot of camaraderie at shows like the one in Ashley. They said the crash hit home.

Attachments

• 46833570-10151245-300199.jpg
    46833570-10151245-300199.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 205

bobs409

Administrator
I can't believe it. Did Nova's have a problem with blowing up when rear ended? I heard that about Pinto's but not Nova's.

I wonder how fast the guy was going that hit him?

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's sad man just sad:cry Guy probably built that car over years and years:cry
Looking at other sites pics she hit him so hard that the gas tank was crushed and fuel was pushed thru the floorboard, under and over the car.
Just sad to see that happen... there is a film of it out there as well.. not pretty.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Had to be just a freak accident. The Nova gas tank is located just like most other chevys, under the trunk floor and isn't necessarily prone to blowing up. Full gas tanks don't explode, but they will send ignitable fuel flying if ruptured. The greatest explosion hazard is a tank with a minimum amount of fuel.
The Gen 3 Nova shares the same floorpan and subframe with the 67-69 Camaros. What the Nova, Camaro and other unibody cars lack though, is a steel rear crossmember across the back behind the tank. My guess would be that the other vehicle hit in just the right spot to fold the bumper, puncture the tank and send gas flying while a spark was introduced either from metal to metal contact or electrical wiring. There is nothing except the bumper and 18 guage sheetmetal protecting the tank. If the bumper is a repro, I believe they are thinner than original and would likely fold in a center punch.
A real tragedy, in any case.
Maybe I should add a rear crossmember to my 67.:scratch

bobs409

Administrator
An update

Here's an update to the story:

11:21 AM EDT, May 11, 2009
The identity of the man killed in a crash at a classic ar show in Luzerne County has been released.

Police said Craig Lear, 64, of Mountain Top was killed Sunday afternoon when his vintage car was hit from behind on Route 309 in Ashley.

Lear was turning into a restaurant parking lot when his car was rear-ended by a sport utility vehicle. The car burst into flames as onlookers rushed to help.

"Just chaos. Everybody was running over to the blue Nova to help him out. It was just up in flames. Everybody was just running over trying to rip the door open," said witness Scott Price of Wilkes-Barre.

"I ran with the fire extinguisher and I tried to put the flames out, but I couldn't control the flames. The car was on too much fire," said Mike Mundy of Plymouth.

Authorities said the driver of the SUV, Jean Herron, 77, of Mountain Top is in serious condition after the crash.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was wondering the same thing about the gas tank, I wonder if the speed of the crash was a factor? Possible fuel cell would make it worse or better?
People just are not paying attention while driving

Kevin

bobs409

Administrator
I just saw the update on TV and it showed the back of the Nova. It's pushed in up to the rear window. That driver had to be moving pretty good. It said that person is in critical condition.

They said it's a bad stretch of road and they are supposed to investigate it to possibly make it safer somehow.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
That's sad man ..... so sad. I drive rental cars for a living and you can not believe the a** holes that are on the roads just not paying attention.I drive the L.I.E.about 3-4 times a day and I have seen a lot. My heart and prayers go out to the families of every one involved,and many thanks to those who risked their lives to help.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I took a hit like that back in 66 with my new GTO. I didn't have a trunk left and my gas tank only took about 5 gallons but it didn't rupture and was driveable. I was stopped in a traffic jam on I-10 in Louisiana and saw the guy coming in my rear view mirror. I was on the inside lane and had nowhere to go. I put it into neural just before he hit me and the guy next to me just happened to move ahead one car length so on impact I jerked the wheel to the right just enough to miss the car in front of me and end up on the shoulder. I don't know why the tank didn't rupture. Just wasn't my time, I guess.:dunno

Absolutely tragic. It's terrible how a day can start like any other, things to do, things to look forward to.... and it can just end, permanently.

I'm sorry, but without more detail of what caused the accident, I can't help but feel no concern for the "driver" of the SUV... none.

bobs409

Administrator
Here's another update to the story about the road:

A deadly weekend crash is raising some serious safety questions.

It was supposed to be a Sunday spent at classic car show. Instead Sunday afternoon took a tragic turn that some said may have been avoided.

Craig Lear 64, of Mountain Top was killed, police said, when his antique car was rear ended as he turned into Bentley's Restaurant along Route 309 in Ashley. The driver of the other vehicle was taken to the hospital.

"The ambulances are always running up through here and that's at least once a week you'll see them going through here," said Tom Rusnak of Lehman Power Equipment. He himself has been in a crash along that strip.

"They do need a traffic light up there or at least for the time being, they gotta get traffic slowed down coming down the mountain because that's where most of the accidents are happening," Rusnak added.

PennDOT said the owners of Bentley's asked for a traffic signal and PennDOT told them they needed to pay for and do a traffic study and pay for the signal.

"There has to be some kind or warning for people at least coming around the bend there flying down the hill that there may be traffic backed up," said Gordon Williams of White Haven.

PennDOT said there have not been any crashes in recent years along Route 309 near Bentley's and engineers from PennDOT also said that while a traffic signal may seem like a good idea, they can increase rear end collisions. Some people agree.

"No body wants another traffic signal," Williams added.

There is already a sign warning drivers about turns into Bentley's Restaurant.

Ashley borough leaders said they are considering paying to put a signal in or perhaps asking PennDOT for other changes.

State lawmakers representing Luzerne County announced Monday afternoon they do plan to meet with PennDOT this week to talk about safety issues along Route 309.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very tragic accident. My sorrow goes out to the family and the participants that witnessed that accident. Is there a left turn lane there? There was no mention of it. Maybe that would be an alternative to a traffic light...:dunno

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
After viewing the film one thing that I will be doing is upgrading the hot rod with better fire extinguishers rather than the one small old one I currently carry. Least that way I can better help someone or even myself if needed.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I carry an abc fire extingusher in the 61 BUT IT'S IN THE TRUNK:eek::eek:
robert

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
There was a post over on the chevelle website of a guy who was at the show and witnessed the accident as it happened. I imagine it will be very hard for those that witnessed the accident as well as the family of the victim.
Very tragic.

:cry